Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Neighbor Stealing Internet AGAIN!!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 7:46 am
amother wrote:
I haven't read the replies but Adobe CC does not need internet to run.

My guess is that there are also other programs running in the back ground. If the neighbor is streaming something, it will slow her connection down.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
ARGHHH!! I am so so frustrated.
I am a graphic artist and work from home, using heavy Adobe programs. I use the CC version, which works through the internet. The programs slow down significantly when other people are using the internet.

My neighbor once asked if they can use my internet, I told them they can only use it if they ASK first because it slows down the internet and my programs don't work fast enough.

A few times already, I caught them (my computer tells me how many people are connected to the network) using it without permission and my husband reiterated to them not to use it.

The problem is we are really close neighbors and very good friends, however, they DONT GET IT. Yesterday, my husband told them yet again not to use it without permission, but TODAY again my work is going slow and I saw that they were using it. It's NOT FAIR!!

Do I threaten them that I am changing the password? They are good friends of ours and they do us tons of favors already... I'm so stuck!

1) u do not need to he connected to the internet to use Adobe creative cloud.
2) regardless, they are using it without permission. you don't have to threaten them. Simply change the password. If they ask you why it's not working, u'll know they tried to access without asking you. And then You can offer to split the cost of internet access with them.
Or tell them that your internet is slow and the more connections there are the shower it is.

petiteruchy

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 8:34 am
Is it possible that the message is not getting passed along to the relevant parties? Like, your husband told her husband, but maybe he was too embarrassed or unconcerned to pass the message along to her, so she's been using it without realizing? Or maybe there's an older child who's sneaking it?

All that to say, change the password today. Chances are they'll be too embarrassed to ask once they've been cut off, and if it turns out that for example she'd been using it without realizing your husband had told them not to, you can solve that problem later.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 11:17 am
I don't know if this will be helpful, but it might be. My brother-in-law has an Optimum account and doesn't use it on all his devices. He connected our laptop to it remotely using the mac address. We don't have the password, and he could theoretically disconnect us at any time.

Maybe you could do this- ask them for their mac address and connect them remotely? Then you could disconnect them whenever you needed to, and not have issues with giving them the password.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 11:19 am
Change the password.

If they ask for it, just tell them, "unfortunately, because of the nature of the work I'm doing now, I can't share the password.'

They'll probably think that the work is confidential, although you really mean that they're slowing down your internet.

Doing favors, and helping people out occasionally, is lovely. But you cannot endanger your work to do it.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:10 pm
Another point to take into account: if you're charging by the hour then it's not fair and honest to your clients that due to your sharing of your internet your work is going at a much slower pace. An hours work will take you 1 1-2 to 2 hours and the client is paying for that.

As many have said, just change the password and don't tell them. If they ask then tell them due to the nature of your work you can no longer share your internet. Best to be vague. If you tell them you can see when they're on or that it's slowing you down they'll just argue with you.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:23 pm
Why is this even a question?
Change the password!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:31 pm
Maybe their laptop is set to connect automatically.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
I am a graphic artist and work from home, using heavy Adobe programs. I use the CC version, which works through the internet. The programs slow down significantly when other people are using the internet.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, so I don't know if anyone else told you this, but Adobe CC does NOT work through the internet (I am also in the graphic field and use it). It is installed locally on your computer and doesn't need internet access at all unless you are saving documents to the cloud. You can be totally disconnected from the internet (try it) and it will still work fine.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 1:01 pm
This happens to me sometimes by accident. I was once sick and worked from home so my neighbor let me use their wifi not to stream anything just to be able to access documents from a cloud and if I forget to turn off my wifi on my phone or tablet when I come home it automatically connects to theirs. I do my best to remember to turn it off when I leave work. I would not be offended at all if they changed the password.

Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 5:59 pm
oliveoil wrote:
You talk about this as if its something happening to you instead of something you are doing. Why would it happen all over again? The point of changing the password is not to give it out again. Why do you feel you must give it out if they ask? It's affecting your work and they've already shown they aren't considerate or grateful for the favor you've been extending them until now. Just change it and don't give them the new password. They own a computer now, they can buy an internet subscription like the rest of the computer-owning world.

I love every post on this topic, but I love this most of all.

This is not "bad luck" or an "act of God" happening to you. You are giving them your password, knowing they are not reliable.

So. Change your password. Neighbor says "we can't get into your wifi; can you please give us password?"
You say: "no, DH and I decided we really can't share internet with anyone anymore. I heard you can get a good deal at AT&T / Comcast/ whatever - why don't you call and ask them what their current pricing is?"

Neighbor: "Can't we just use yours? We'll only use it a little bit!"

You: "I'm sorry, we decided that we really can't share our internet anymore."

kb

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:58 pm
We have a guest Wi-Fi user.

When people ask to use the internet I tell them ill activate the guest user but that it deactivates after 24 hours.

icebreaker

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 7:17 pm
Change the password. Why do they need to use your internet? Why can't they get their own?

isrmss91

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 8:30 pm
Change the password. You do not need to explain yourself. You already told them it slows your own internet down and hampers your work. If they even complain, tell them they can have internet access at the library or starbucks. Your are allowed to say no and don't feel guilty. You tried it , but it did not work out.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 9:42 pm
At one point we let our neighbors use our internet. It became obvious that it was really slowing the internet down. So we went and told them that unfortunately it just wasn't working out since it was making ours too slow we couldn't use it properly. We were nice about it. They understood and everything was fine.

You were trying to work it out with them but they aren't doing what you requested of them (which is very reasonable). Explain it to them. Change the password. If they need internet they'll have to go somewhere else.

das

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
I haven't read the replies but Adobe CC does not need internet to run.

She is probably working on a server and needs her work to constantly upload.

FaygieofLA

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 10:48 pm
Change your password.

Your parnasa comes first.

amother wrote:

My neighbor once asked if they can use my internet, I told them they can only use it if they ASK first because it slows down the internet and my programs don't work fast enough.

A few times already, I caught them (my computer tells me how many people are connected to the network) using it without permission and my husband reiterated to them not to use it.

The problem is we are really close neighbors and very good friends, however, they DONT GET IT. Yesterday, my husband told them yet again not to use it without permission, but TODAY again my work is going slow and I saw that they were using it. It's NOT FAIR!!

Do I threaten them that I am changing the password? They are good friends of ours and they do us tons of favors already... I'm so stuck!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe their laptop is set to connect automatically.

This is very likely. It happens to me- my cell phone connects automatically when I'm at the doc's office, or other places recognized by my device.

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 12:56 am
Change your password.

Don't feel so bad for the neighbors. If they really need to use the internet, they can take their laptop to the library, a coffee house or many other public places where they can connect to wifi.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 7:06 am
"Hi, I think maybe you changed your password, I want to get on the internet, and I couldn't log on."

"Yes, I did, I really can't give out the new one, sorry."

"Why? It doesn't hurt you at all!"

"Actually, it does. I think we have explained why before. I'm sorry I can't help you -- you can go to the library, or any other place that offers free WiFi."

"But..."

"I'm so sorry I can't help you. You'll figure out a solution, you're very competent. Gotta get back to work now, goodbye!"

And then greet her warmly next time you see her.

She may be annoyed for a minute, but if she really is a friend and not just using you, she'll let it drop. And if she is just using you, you don't have to put up with it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics