Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"You're offered a three-month total exemption from Torah...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

InnerMe

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:55 am
..No positive or negative commandment would apply. No Torah ethics would matter. You're given a chance to do whatever you want - with no limits, restrictions or consequences. Would you take it?"

This question intrigued me.
It was on an ad for a new book "The Emunah Reality" by Rabbi Moshe Goldstein.

Just taking this question as a standalone. Would you take this? Would you not?
Why?

My thoughts are pretty tangled on this.
On one hand there's like this feeling of like yes! for sure! count me in! like a kid that was just let loose in a candy shop. Like you mean I can really do anything?? (honest feelings- if you disagree. np. Just please remain respectful)

On the other hand thinking of it as reality.. I can see myself feeling pretty lost. Like where do I go? What do I do with this freedom? It might even be scary...

What are your thoughts?

PS: Please keep the tone of this thread respectful, and allow others to voice their honest opinions without getting attacked.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:03 am
For the most part I wouldn't use the exemption.

I'm too scared that after three months of living without rules it would too hard to go back.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:07 am
How horrible to be completely cut off from Hashem! I can't think about it.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:14 am
I would probably use the opportunity to try a couple of treif foods that seem like they'd be tasty. Other than that, there's nothing in particular that interests me about how the other half lives, so to speak and I don't think there's anything else I would do or not do in this hypothetical.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:26 am
No. I would never. I'm not exactly sure what would make me feel fufilled. Right now it's Hashem, without him I don't know what I'd do. I don't think I'd get real fufillment or feel very good about myself for those months.

Also if it wasn't for GD I would of commited suicide. So, I think I'll stick with GD.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:34 am
Well, I know what the right answer is. That I would never take it, I'd be so lost.

But I could see myself enjoying a vacation without worrying about kosher food, or finding a minyan. Being able to wear a swimsuit to the beach, take a long trip without having to plan for shabbos.

I am very happily frum and make these (and more) sacrifices on a daily basis happily and without bitterness (for the most part) but I am human, and a 'free break' would be tempting. Not because I'm desperate to harlot myself, but I'm just plain curious what life is like when you aren't bound by halacha.

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:38 am
There's some stuff I'd eat...

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:49 am
I'm pretty happy the way I live my life now... I'd probably be happy to be affectionate with my husband during Niddah, try some food and wear clothing that I normally wouldn't but I'm happy with my life the way it is.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:49 am
I would wear pants and shorts and mini skirts and tank tops. Probably try some unkosher restaurants. Would not keep hilchos niddah. I think that's pretty much it.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
I'm pretty happy the way I live my life now... I'd probably be happy to be affectionate with my husband during Niddah, try some food and wear clothing that I normally wouldn't but I'm happy with my life the way it is.

Are we related?

abound

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:51 am
I would not want to take it!
I would just feel better knowing that if I forgot a brocha or spoke Lashon Hara I would not be punished, but I would never want to leave Hashem for 3 months, it would be a waste of my life.

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:54 am
The Amish have this. It's called rumspringen (or something like that)--They have to take a year "off"--and live totally secular lives. If they decide to commit to the Amish lifestyle it's with a clear understanding of what they're giving up. If they decide to stay in the "real" world they can have no contact with their family.
Sometimes when I have had it with my shaitel, or I'd really like to try a Philly steak sandwich I wish for rumspringen.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:56 am
I'm not sure why people think that they couldn't or wouldn't connect to Hashem. You could still have Shabbat, and daven, and do what you do. But you could turn on the dishwasher Friday morning of a 3-day yom tov. Or ask your teen to call you when she gets to her friend's house on Shabbat, so you're not worried. And turn on your oven to heat up lunch on Shabbat, instead of jury-rigging something that sort of works, but is also prone to cause fires. And it would be lovely to knit on a long Friday evening, and use an umbrella in bad weather.

It would be nice to be able to spend a holiday, or have an outing, with non-religious relatives and friends without "oh, what can Six eat" coming up. My two closest childhood friends are doing a girls weekend. But I don't know how I get them to leave on lights and use timers and understand how limited my food and walking and yadda yadda would be, so I don't think I can do it. It would be nice, though.

It would be nice to share some of the foods I ate as a child with my kids.

It would be nice to travel without a huge bag of food, and without the perpetual "what about Shabbat" question.

I've given those things up for the other benefits (IMNSHO) of being religious. But none of them make me feel closer to Hashem. So I'd gladly take a break for 3 months.

And please, can that include Pesach? Don't mind the food restrictions, but I'll skip the cleaning, thank you very much.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:02 am
Just about the dishwasher -, you absolutely can have your dishwasher set to come on a timer on a three day yom tov (not shabbat ). We plug a timer into the plug under the sink. It's in shemirat Shabbat kilchata.

I would totally take off 3 months to eat bacon cheeseburgers and do much worse things. Does this mean I am not connect to Hashem?

ally

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:11 am
Go on a gastronomic world tour.

ally

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:13 am
heidi wrote:
The Amish have this. It's called rumspringen (or something like that)--They have to take a year "off"--and live totally secular lives. If they decide to commit to the Amish lifestyle it's with a clear understanding of what they're giving up. If they decide to stay in the "real" world they can have no contact with their family.
Sometimes when I have had it with my shaitel, or I'd really like to try a Philly steak sandwich I wish for rumspringen.

I thought the Amish only cut off contact if you come back and then leave. Not if you stay away.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:17 am
Probably not.

Aside from mikvah and hair covering I am very happy and dont find my life oppressive.

Maybe I would try some new recipes that call for treif food but I cant think of much else...

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:21 am
Interesting that people equate not being commanded in Mitzot to leaving Gd.

If I'm not commanded then it's not a betrayal of Gd or a lack of relationship. Just like women are commanded in less mitzvot and I don't hear people say that's because they are less connected to Gd

I would definitely take a trip and not worry about kosher or shabbos or covering my hair. I normally love shabbos but when wanting to travel it would definitely be easier

InnerMe

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:24 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Well, I know what the right answer is. That I would never take it, I'd be so lost.

But I could see myself enjoying a vacation without worrying about kosher food, or finding a minyan. Being able to wear a swimsuit to the beach, take a long trip without having to plan for shabbos.

I am very happily frum and make these (and more) sacrifices on a daily basis happily and without bitterness (for the most part) but I am human, and a 'free break' would be tempting. Not because I'm desperate to harlot myself, but I'm just plain curious what life is like when you aren't bound by halacha.

Yes, Agree with your post groovy.
And about G-d, I can definitely not see myself living without Him. But in this theoretical situation perhaps G-d can be in my life- meaning I feel his presence, I talk to him, connect to him and at the same time be exempt from the torah, without consequences.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:26 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm not sure why people think that they couldn't or wouldn't connect to Hashem. You could still have Shabbat, and daven, and do what you do. But you could turn on the dishwasher Friday morning of a 3-day yom tov. Or ask your teen to call you when she gets to her friend's house on Shabbat, so you're not worried. And turn on your oven to heat up lunch on Shabbat, instead of jury-rigging something that sort of works, but is also prone to cause fires. And it would be lovely to knit on a long Friday evening, and use an umbrella in bad weather.

It would be nice to be able to spend a holiday, or have an outing, with non-religious relatives and friends without "oh, what can Six eat" coming up. My two closest childhood friends are doing a girls weekend. But I don't know how I get them to leave on lights and use timers and understand how limited my food and walking and yadda yadda would be, so I don't think I can do it. It would be nice, though.

It would be nice to share some of the foods I ate as a child with my kids.

It would be nice to travel without a huge bag of food, and without the perpetual "what about Shabbat" question.

I've given those things up for the other benefits (IMNSHO) of being religious. But none of them make me feel closer to Hashem. So I'd gladly take a break for 3 months.

And please, can that include Pesach? Don't mind the food restrictions, but I'll skip the cleaning, thank you very much.

I agree with all this but if I took 3 months I would have a hard time going back.

I'd rather just pick one or two things to "splurge" on.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics