Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What books or authors did you love growing up?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

eschaya

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:52 am
cbsp wrote:
I'm leaning in that direction. But I also just re read A Little House on the Prairie and think she's not ready for it either. She already read Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, The Wizard of Oz, many Magic Treehouse books. Not sure these are all that different...

Back to OP, haven't seen these mentioned :
(secular)
3 Investigators
Pick-a-color Fairy Tale books
Z is for Zachariah (the first S/F book I read)
Lois Duncan
Anne McCaffery (Pegasus)
Robert McCloskey (Homer Price, Ducklings)
Jane Yolen
Asimov (and his assorted pseudonyms)
Robin McKinley
Gail Carson Levin
Mary Poppins (beyond the first book)
The less popular Shoe books
Select Piers Anthony series (would not recommend for a frum audience)
Madeline L'engel
The Tripods series
Damon Knight
Star Wars novels
Mama's Bank Account
Karen Killilea and the sequel
The Trouble with Tuck
Roald Dahl

(Jewish)
Happy is the Heart by Sarah Birnhack (her other books came out when I was already an adult)
Dovid Mayer
The Yellow Star
A Treasury Of Chassidic Tales - Torah and Festivals
The Medrash Says
English Tzenah Urenah
Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet
Book of Our Heritage
K'tonton
Forever my Jerusalem
All for the Boss
Satan Simcha
Marcus Lehman
The Heavenly City
Lilmod u'li'lamed
Hanoch Teller's "Soul" series
Guard your Tongue
Best of L.I.G.H.T
Yoshke the Dumbell
The Golem

I think I'll stop here.

So glad to see I wasn't the only one reading sci fi (Anne mccafferey, Asimov, l'engal). I'd also add Heinlein. And as a younger kid, the Danny Dunn series.
Of course I read and loved many of the other classic books already mentioned repeatedly. I'd also add the count of monte cristo, three musketeers, scarlet pimpernel.
And I have a special place in my heart for The Little Prince.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:53 am
Zylpha Keatley Snyder (The Velvet Room was my favorite book)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 9:57 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
What about Calico Captive? (same author as Witch of Blackbird Pond)

I read those. Liked the witch of bp better than cc.

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:32 am
The Great Brain
What were those books about the family growing up on the Lower East Side??? With the settlement house??-- the son was named Charlie--Loved those books
Little House on the Prairie-- all of them, over and over and over again
Little Women and everything else Louisa May Alcott
Encyclopedia Brown
James Herriot
This thread is bringing back such nice memories

leah233

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:35 am
heidi wrote:

What were those books about the family growing up on the Lower East Side??? With the settlement house??-- the son was named Charlie--Loved those books

All Of a Kind Family

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:37 am
Maybe someone can help me out?

There were these books with characters named string bean and jelly bean. Their last name was bean and those were their nicknames. Anyone know what I’m taking about?

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 10:47 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Maybe someone can help me out?

There were these books with characters named string bean and jelly bean. Their last name was bean and those were their nicknames. Anyone know what I’m taking about?
Rings a bell and now I'm turning my brain inside out trying to remember, too!

This thread is bringing back such great memories! I feel like I have nothing to add because so many greats have been mentioned already. Did anyone bring up Edward Eager yet? Half Magic et al? I really enjoyed those. And I'm sure Beverly Cleary must have been mentioned. I didn't read all the posts but I can't imagine her being overlooked here. I saw Great Brain a couple of times, those were favorites of mine, too. And Encyclopedia Brown, but I was sadly realizing that a lot of it would be incomprehensible to my kids because they are growing up in such a different world.

Did anyone mention The Three Investigators? I think that's what they were called - the ones with Jupiter Jones and the headquarters in the junkyard. I loved them. They were very hard to find because they were already out of print when I was young, I had a couple from my older siblings, the library had just a couple too, and then I just kept my eyes peeled for them wherever I went. We had the Haunted Castle, the Whispering Mummy, the Stuttering Parrot (I loved that one!), the Singing Serpent (creepy!), The Talking Skull, and I think there was one other one. I never did find most of the others Sad

Margaret Peterson Haddix had some great books, too.

I was also a Boxcar Chidren junkie at some point. And in Jewish books I enjoyed the Baker's Dozen and BY Times. Those should come back into style, I haven't seen them in a while but they were good oldies. They keep churning out more and more new Jewish books all the time but why forget the ones we grew up with?

DREAMING

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:00 am
Maud hart Lovelace (Betsy Tacy series)
Carolyn Haywood (B is for Betsy)
Lucy Maud Montgomery
Frances's Hodgson Burnett
Laura Ingalls Wilder

I also enjoyed these books but don't recall the author - "Ramona Quimby series" "roller skates" "Carrie Woodlawn" "bobbsey twins" "Nancy drew" "all of a kind family" "suitcases" "the great brain"

DREAMING

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:03 am
Lois Lowry

DREAMING

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 11:04 am
Nothing's fair in fifth grade - Barthe DeClements

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:05 pm
As a little child I was fascinated by "amelia bedelia" by peggy parish, and also "Calvin and Hobbes" comic books.

As a teenager I loved "the little black box",
And "Nancy Drew" books.

I would love to read it again. Nice memories.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:29 pm
I see we were all pretty avid readers. One other series which was squeaky clean that has not been mentioned is the Moffats by Eleanor Estes. Ginger Pye won the Newberry Medal, but I enjoyed her Moffats books (some of which were Newberry Honor) and the Hundred Dresses much more.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:32 pm
Reading this thread makes me realize how much the publishing industry has changed since I was a pre-teen/teen. I was born in 1960, to give some perspective.

There simply weren't a lot of tween/young adult books in the early 70s. You pretty much went directly from Nancy Drew to adult books. The young adult novels that did exist were generally really, really bad; a lot of them were moralistic warnings against using drugs, which was the hot topic of the time.

I'm not sure if it was good or bad -- probably a mixture of both. On one hand, we were forced to read at a somewhat higher level than we might otherwise have done. On the other hand, it's a wonder we weren't all permanently traumatized. Sometimes I shudder when I think of what we were all reading.

Also, I think kids who weren't particularly strong readers really got left behind. If you couldn't make the switch in 6th or 7th grade from Nancy Drew to Agatha Christie, there really wasn't a lot out there.

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:37 pm
Fox wrote:
Reading this thread makes me realize how much the publishing industry has changed since I was a pre-teen/teen. I was born in 1960, to give some perspective.

There simply weren't a lot of tween/young adult books in the early 70s. You pretty much went directly from Nancy Drew to adult books. The young adult novels that did exist were generally really, really bad; a lot of them were moralistic warnings against using drugs, which was the hot topic of the time.

I'm not sure if it was good or bad -- probably a mixture of both. On one hand, we were forced to read at a somewhat higher level than we might otherwise have done. On the other hand, it's a wonder we weren't all permanently traumatized. Sometimes I shudder when I think of what we were all reading.

Also, I think kids who weren't particularly strong readers really got left behind. If you couldn't make the switch in 6th or 7th grade from Nancy Drew to Agatha Christie, there really wasn't a lot out there.

Maybe you couldn't find them, but most of the books mentioned here (at least by BetsyTacy) were published well before 1970. Beverly Cleary wrote 4 squeaky-clean young adult books, Carol Ryrie Brink, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Betsy-Tacy by Lovelace, L.M. Montgomery's plethora of books and others are very good for teens (if you're okay with everyone having boyfriends they occasionally kiss before marriage). Especially because the Laura, Betsy, and Anne books all follow them from girlhood to marriage and beyond.

Oh, the early 20th century (when the above series-es all take place, except for Beverly Cleary's books which take place in the 50s). What a nice time, when plenty of bad things happened but no one felt the need to scare innocent children with them Smile

wife2

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:45 pm
S. E. Hinton - that was then, this is now; the outsiders
C.S. lewis - Narnia books
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Gordon korman

DREAMING

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:51 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I see we were all pretty avid readers. One other series which was squeaky clean that has not been mentioned is the Moffats by Eleanor Estes. Ginger Pye won the Newberry Medal, but I enjoyed her Moffats books (some of which were Newberry Honor) and the Hundred Dresses much more.

I read the Moffats and completely forgot about it

mommy9

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 12:59 pm
Mrs piggle wiggle

wordsmith

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:05 pm
Oh my gosh, I had so many but here are a few:

The Boxcar Children
B Is for Betsy
Betsy-Tacy (These are two different series and very different in tone.)
Little House on the Praire
Nancy Drew
All of a Kind Family
The Bobbsey Twins
Encyclopedia Brown
A series of mysteries by author Peggy Parish (best known for her Amelia Bedalia books) featuring three cousins. The series included Clues in the Woods and Key to the Treasure.
Sweet Valley High

DREAMING

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:09 pm
Good night mr tom

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 1:12 pm
leah233 wrote:
All Of a Kind Family

Thanks!!
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room