Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby turns on tummy at night and cries - wwyd?
1  2  Next

amother
White

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 12:50 pm
My sweetie pie baby just started rolling onto his tummy. He hasn't figured out yet how to roll back.

I am starting to sleep train this week.

WWYD if you wanted to teach your baby to sleep and were okay with crying it out - would you roll him off his tummy onto his back or just let him cry it out on his tummy?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 12:51 pm
If he can get there it's safe for him to stay there. I would not move him back

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 1:02 pm
how old is sweetie pie?

Is he happy to be on his tummy when you are in the room with him?

keym

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 1:32 pm
pesek zman wrote:
If he can get there it's safe for him to stay there. I would not move him back

I agree as long as he can sleep on cheek and turn head cheek to cheek, not burying nose in sheet. Also pull sheet very taut and make sure theres nothing in crib.

GetReal

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 3:55 pm
I would delay sleep training. In a week or two he'll get used to rolling over but if it's bothering him now it's probably not the right time to sleep train.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 7:36 pm
My baby is in the same stage. I turn him over - not for safety reasons, but because he gets extremely upset when he's on his tummy.

But I started the sleep training process last week, so I had a week of regular sleep training.
I go in after five minutes of crying.

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 8:24 pm
Shower me with tomatoes but I put my infants to sleep on their tummies to begin with. It is the most naturally comfortable position for an infant and yours knows it. If you’re gonna let the kid cry himself to sleep, which btw I do upwards of six months, allow him to at least get into a soothing natural position.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 8:33 pm
Maybe ask your pediatrician.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:55 pm
I also put my babies to sleep on their stomachs after the first week. I start them on their side but then they flip to the stomach. I let them stay that way. I still sleep on my stomach. Smile

A problem with a kid on the stomach is one who can't lift his head, who hasn't had a chance to develop his neck and upper back muscles precisely because he's never been on his stomach before. I am more secure with my kids on their stomach because I do it right away so I know they can move around and help themselves in that position.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
I also put my babies to sleep on their stomachs after the first week. I start them on their side but then they flip to the stomach. I let them stay that way. I still sleep on my stomach. Smile

A problem with a kid on the stomach is one who can't lift his head, who hasn't had a chance to develop his neck and upper back muscles precisely because he's never been on his stomach before. I am more secure with my kids on their stomach because I do it right away so I know they can move around and help themselves in that position.

you sleeping on your stomach - and your 1 week old sleeping on stomach are very separate things..

A mother should put her baby to sleep on his back because that's what the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends as a measure of prevention for SIDS. Personally, I'd never want to be in a position where something horrific happened, and I wasn't following what is now 'standard of care' for infants.

Just throwing that out there.

amother
White

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:56 am
AAACK!

I called my pediatrician and she said to hold off on sleep training and to practice turning during the day.

SO I held him till he fell asleep in my arms. I put him down on his back like I do every night. Just went in to check and saw he's on his tummy, sleeping.

Now I'm nervous because my doctor said it's safe to let them sleep on their tummies when they can turn both ways, but he can only turn one way (back to tummy). He does have good head control and is pretty strong for a 4 month old, but now I'm nervous.

If anyone is up... should I go flip him over? Or just check on him every 10 minutes?

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 1:39 am
Calm down. Seriously. Leave the kid on his stomach don’t torture him.

Last edited by Zehava on Fri, Nov 24 2017, 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
AAACK!

I called my pediatrician and she said to hold off on sleep training and to practice turning during the day.

SO I held him till he fell asleep in my arms. I put him down on his back like I do every night. Just went in to check and saw he's on his tummy, sleeping.

Now I'm nervous because my doctor said it's safe to let them sleep on their tummies when they can turn both ways, but he can only turn one way (back to tummy). He does have good head control and is pretty strong for a 4 month old, but now I'm nervous.

If anyone is up... should I go flip him over? Or just check on him every 10 minutes?

I didn't realize your concern was safety. I thought it was a problem because your little one didn't like being on his tummy, and would cry once he got there.
If he's sleeping nicely, leave it!!! If they're strong enough to turn on their tummies, their strong enough to turn the other way (even if he hasnt done it yet) or at least pick up his head.
The only reason why I turn my baby over is because he cries hysterically when he's on his tummy. If he falls asleep that way, I leave him be (and usually it's a better sleep!)

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:08 am
I have a little one just a little bit older then yours. My little one likes to sleep on his side he turns over as soon as we put him down so we just let him. He can roll over both ways now. But he was turning over to his side before he was good at the rolling over from back to tummy.
As long as he is comfortable like that I would make sure the the mattress is firm and the sheet is pulled tight with nothing else in the crib

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
you sleeping on your stomach - and your 1 week old sleeping on stomach are very separate things..

A mother should put her baby to sleep on his back because that's what the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends as a measure of prevention for SIDS. Personally, I'd never want to be in a position where something horrific happened, and I wasn't following what is now 'standard of care' for infants.

Just throwing that out there.

That's good for you. TO me standard of care for infants where they get flat heads and can choke on their vomit (actually saw this happening to my son) does not make sense. Sorry if I follow my common sense.

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
That's good for you. TO me standard of care for infants where they get flat heads and can choke on their vomit (actually saw this happening to my son) does not make sense. Sorry if I follow my common sense.

That. If you do a bit of research into this the whole thing is laughable. There is literally no research to back up these claims besides faulty statistics. We are given brains and motherly instincts for a reason.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 9:55 am
Zehava wrote:
That. If you do a bit of research into this the whole thing is laughable. There is literally no research to back up these claims besides faulty statistics. We are given brains and motherly instincts for a reason.
b

I’ve done my research, and I find your assertions to be not only “laughable” but dangerous. There has been a very substantial and measurable descrease in SIDS deaths since Back to Sleep began.

Not every baby put to sleep in her stomach will die. Then again, I grew up in an age when no one used car seats, or even seat belts, and no one wore a bike helmet. Everyone was ok, except the ones who weren’t.

But please,if you disagree, point to articles in respected and accepted publications pointing out the fallacy. If you’ve done your research, as you say, they should be at your fingertips.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:52 am
Zehava wrote:

What were we given pediatricians for?

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:32 am
SixOfWands wrote:
b

I’ve done my research, and I find your assertions to be not only “laughable” but dangerous. There has been a very substantial and measurable descrease in SIDS deaths since Back to Sleep began.

Not every baby put to sleep in her stomach will die. Then again, I grew up in an age when no one used car seats, or even seat belts, and no one wore a bike helmet. Everyone was ok, except the ones who weren’t.

But please,if you disagree, point to articles in respected and accepted publications pointing out the fallacy. If you’ve done your research, as you say, they should be at your fingertips.

Correlation is not causation. No one has been able to prove that stomach sleeping causes sids.
Without a helmet ones skull will crack and without a seatbelt one will be ejected from the vehicle. Stomach sleeping is nowhere near that certain.
The substantial and measurable decrease boils down to mere faulty statistics that fail to take many other factors into account.
For example the guidelines in what exactly is classified as sids as opposed to other causes of death changed over the same period of time and varies state by state and even coroner by coroner.
At the same time other risk factors went down such as smoking and bed sharing.
The decline in sids deaths actually started before the back to sleep campaign but no one bothered to look that up.
The whole 50% decrease is less than one percent of infants to begin with so doesn’t constitute that many babies. More than 99% of babies are fine no matter how they sleep.

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
What were we given pediatricians for?

Gee what were we given brains for?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics