Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What will Brooklyn look like in 15 years?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 4:40 pm
Raisin wrote:
What is the secret of the sephardim? Are they ALL so successful?

Hate the sterotyping of Sephardim. No we are not all successful. There are those living in poverty in apartment building right beside the super rich. Just like in the Ashkenaz world.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 4:41 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
That is not true. I know a lot of people who recently bought or who are looking to buy in the 20s or 30s. The ones who really can’t afford it are going to marine park. But there are definitely some people staying. Plenty are leaving too.

And now people are priced out of marine park also. I bought my marine park home 10years ago for a half a mill. Now my house is worth over 3/4 of a million dollars. Who has that kind of money for a box house?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 4:46 pm
The current housing situation on Flatbush is unsustainable for working and middle class families. I see many young families moving out. There are not too many homes in the neighborhood, hence they are selling for riduculous amounts of money. Those who have married off their children, are selling their homes and moving to join their families (mostly in Lakewood) who have already moved there. Use to be, those living in Lakewood, would come to Flatbush/Boro Park to shop. Nowadays, Lakewood has everything. Most stores, now have locations in both areas. No need to shlep to NY anymore.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 4:54 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Those of you who think Flatbush is in decline are wrong. People are snatching up houses too quickly to meet the demand. Brooklyn is thriving.

Brooklyn is not thriving. I know many newly married couples who can not afford Flatbush, are moving to Lakewood. The few young couples here, are in basements. (I just married off a child, the couple are in a Basement) Those "snatched up" houses are few and far between. Hence the price of houses have gone up. Basic rule of economics. The supply of houses in Flatbush has gone done, Prices have gone up. Way up. They are unaffordable. Over a million dollars, and the house still need work.
The rents have gone up too. I blame the agents driving up the prices. Adding fees as well. I know people have to make a living, but it is driving up the cost to live in Brooklyn.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 4:56 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Those of you who think Flatbush is in decline are wrong. People are snatching up houses too quickly to meet the demand. Brooklyn is thriving.

A house may get snatched the minute it goes for sale but that does not mean flatbush is growing. Compare the nursery to 8th grade enrollment in the yeshivas and you will see that its not growing. With the exception of schools that only have one class per grade does anyone have difficulty getting into schools? When was the last time any flatbush school opened another class to accomomade the growing population? I don't think the community is going to be gone in 15 years but its definitely a changing demographic and not a growing ashkenazi non chassidish community.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 6:06 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I don't know.. but they are building a ton of apartments by Maple Lanes and next to Shop Rite in Brooklyn. I think in 15 years a lot of people will still be living here. Rent doesn't seem to go down at all though.

Problem is the apartment's that they build are for most part not big enough for a frym family. Certainly not as big as a Lakewood townhouse

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 6:15 pm
leah233 wrote:
It's indisputable that Brooklyn has far more available jobs than other areas.

Busloads and car pools of people commute to Brooklyn from places like Mosey and Lakewood.
The converse is unheard of so obviously Brooklyn has more jobs.

So enlighten me since believe it or not I live in none of the aforementioned areas. What kind of jobs are you referring to?

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 6:26 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
So enlighten me since believe it or not I live in none of the aforementioned areas. What kind of jobs are you referring to?

This amother has proclaimed her idea that Brooklyn has the most jobs as “indisputable”. A quick google search showed me what I knew - NY is not even in the top 10 states with available employment. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/1......html

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 6:45 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Problem is the apartment's that they build are for most part not big enough for a frym family. Certainly not as big as a Lakewood townhouse

They are building it specifically for jewish families. Not newlyweds either. They probably have at least 3 bedrooms. Not everyone is made for the suburbs. Some people actually prefer the city life over bigger backyards. So those are sticking around trafficville.

I do see a decline in schools and yeshivas. My preschool son has less than 15 kids in his class.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 7:51 pm
flowerpower wrote:
They are building it specifically for jewish families. Not newlyweds either. They probably have at least 3 bedrooms. Not everyone is made for the suburbs. Some people actually prefer the city life over bigger backyards. So those are sticking around trafficville.

I do see a decline in schools and yeshivas. My preschool son has less than 15 kids in his class.

Pretty sure the new apartments by Maple Lanes are "starter apts". I heard from the developer that they are being 2 bedrooms- unless things changed. (Although crazily enough there are plenty of people living in one or two bedroom apartments with five kids.)

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
Pretty sure the new apartments by Maple Lanes are "starter apts". I heard from the developer that they are being 2 bedrooms- unless things changed. (Although crazily enough there are plenty of people living in one or two bedroom apartments with five kids.)

Brooklyn is shrinking. And how.

My neighbor lived in Brooklyn in a 2 bedroom "railroad" apt with SIX kids. Two of them teenaged...... now they have 4. With potential space to add another 2.
My cousin lived with 5 in a two bedroom. Moved to a 3 bedroom temporary till the home she bought will be ready. They both found jobs locally.
My husband still commutes to Manhattan. But would love to find something local with the same or better pay. But so far NYC does pay more. He doesn't have any official schooling but has worked HARD and learned on the job. And has many skills. Still he can't find anything quiet as lucrative locally.

icebreaker

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 8:40 pm
I think it's going to be much the same way it is now. Maybe some neighborhoods will have a shift in demographics.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 9:05 pm
Boro park evolved from a mix of frum ranging from modern orthodox to chassidic to ninety percent chassidic. And it's bursting at its seams.

There's a spillover of chassidim beginning to move into areas in the beginning of Flatbush.

I think with time more and more chassidim will be moving into Flatbush. Especially because Flatbush is still cheaper than boro park.

I live in Brooklyn and enjoy it very much. I hope a mix stays because variety is the spice of life.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 9:19 pm
I'm a young (Ashkenaz, Litvish) middle working class in Flatbush. I'd love to stay - family, great job, it's where I grew up...

I'm totally priced out. There's no chance I'll be able to buy here. And the same is true for just about all my friends. I can't think of any friends who will be buying their own homes here. We all joke that we love being neighbors now, but we know that as soon as we can afford to go, we're all out of here.

Another point - even the rent here is exorbitant. I'm paying about double of what all my friends in Lakewood are paying, which means I'm putting away less for an eventual down payment.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 4:00 am
In crown heights most of the young families are buying houses in the outlying neighborhoods. My relative just bought one pretty far away from the center. But lots of people are moving out of town too. Or renting forever.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 4:10 am
amother wrote:
... Or renting forever.

fleetwood

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 6:30 am
My kids Bklyn school is absolutely thriving as is my Madison area neighborhood. It is not old people snatching up the houses. Young couples are buying in my area at fast rate. My shul which expanded about three yes ago is expanding again. I don't see a decline in my Flatbush neighborhood. And I don't see older people buying,as a matter of fact they are downsizing and selling to a mix of ashkenaz and Sephardic couples. The local schools including mine has plenty of kids. Yeshiva of Flatbush has 8 kindergarten classes,and in my kids school they turn away kids. As someone who is living here, I actually see tremendous growth and new constructions all over.

RebekahsMom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 7:21 am
amother wrote:

I know 2 families, 3 kids/ 6 kids, in a 2 bedroom apartment. I also knew a mom/ son in a 1-bedroom. In all cases, parents converted part or all of the living room into a bedroom.

sima

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:07 am
If you can move out now before Lakewood etc. all become more expensive as well. Wherever large Jewish communities are the prices go up. Time to move now to NJ or Baltimore, etc. while the prices are still lower than what they will be in a few years.

Brooklyn is great if you can afford it or if you need to be here for whatever reason (work,family,etc). I see it changing. It's becoming more and more of a white, young, yuppie, area. It's happening in Crown Heights and it's coming into Kensington. The yuppies move in because they don't want to be in NYC and then they drive all the prices up........

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:18 am
sima wrote:
If you can move out now before Lakewood etc. all become more expensive as well. Wherever large Jewish communities are the prices go up. Time to move now to NJ or Baltimore, etc. while the prices are still lower than what they will be in a few years.

Brooklyn is great if you can afford it or if you need to be here for whatever reason (work,family,etc). I see it changing. It's becoming more and more of a white, young, yuppie, area. It's happening in Crown Heights and it's coming into Kensington. The yuppies move in because they don't want to be in NYC and then they drive all the prices up........

Agree. And there are a ton of thriving jewish communities in other cities also. Its very worth whole to venture off the east coast and see whats out there.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics