Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Downstairs neighbors keep complaining about the noise
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 9:55 am
SixOfWands wrote:
In NYC, most leases have a clause requiring that 80% of your apartment be carpeted. If that is the case with your lease, you shouldn't view carpet as a waste; you should view it as fulfilling your legal obligations to your landlord and to other tenants. And yes, carpet will muffle the sound of running kids.

You don't need wall to wall. Buy inexpensive area carpets. Then sell them when you move.

There is nothing in my lease about carpeting. I was very careful about that before I moved in. I would buy a rug if the complained things such as the kids toys are constantly clanking on their heads. However they had no specific time or place or thing that is bothering them just that its too noisy. Short of carpeting the entire place or moving I dont think they will be happy. I am really hoping and davening hard that we find a house and move out before the summer.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
Not doubting your experience but how can this be? It's counter-intuitive. Shoes hit the floor with so much more impact than bare feet. Maybe this was unique to the house that you lived in?

I actually had this problem more recently too in a different apartment (not basement). It seems the heels of bare feet hit the floor harder even if they sound softer to you as you walk upstairs. Downstairs it's like bang, bang. Bare feet kind of sound like high heels to the people underneath.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Nov 28 2017, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:23 am
watergirl wrote:
I think youve posted about her before. Why dont you move?

I don’t have an option right now. It’s very hard to find a 3 bedroom apartment in my community and I’m not keen on moving out to Lakewood or Monsey for certain reasons.
Their lease is up in a year and they were given notice already by the landlord. I hope they move out soon

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:44 am
chocolatecake wrote:
There is nothing in my lease about carpeting. I was very careful about that before I moved in. I would buy a rug if the complained things such as the kids toys are constantly clanking on their heads. However they had no specific time or place or thing that is bothering them just that its too noisy. Short of carpeting the entire place or moving I dont think they will be happy. I am really hoping and davening hard that we find a house and move out before the summer.

I never heard of a carpet being obligatory
Most people get rugs cuz it’s cozy

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:51 am
Duplicate

das

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:53 am
We lived on top of another family for a time and my children were trained not to make too much noise. We didn't drag chairs, I lifted them. They walked instead of ran. I took them outdoors for jumping. I know it's challenging, op, but when you live with other ppl you have to make a sincere effort to accommodate. Re your daughter and the heels, I think it is okay that she knows "I dont wear heels for dress up because Im considerate of other ppl." Way better for her development than being able to clop around in heels.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
I never heard of a carpet being obligatory
Most people get rugs cuz it’s cozy

We used to live in a co-op building, and 80 percent of the floor outside the kitchen and bathroom had to be carpeted. It made sense.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:04 am
chocolatecake wrote:

Good luck on that. The stress of this would drive me insane.
Maybe just for your own sanity.. can you take your children out to the park for some time in the afternoon? Not for your neighbor. Just for you- so that you can watch them run free and wild and you can sit there and enjoy, instead of that stress.

Also you say that the neighbors are not specific in what bothers them. Can you tell them that there's no way you can accommodate them if you don't know what it is that bothers them. At this point, it seems you are trying to be considerate, but they are simply out to lunch, and just want to get that perfect piece which they will not get living in an apartment. So like I suggested before, shift the conversation to them. Let them help you solve instead instead of you going stir crazy trying to figure it out.

Put the ball in their court. Let them tell you what they need.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:04 am
das wrote:
We lived on top of another family for a time and my children were trained not to make too much noise. We didn't drag chairs, I lifted them. They walked instead of ran. I took them outdoors for jumping. I know it's challenging, op, but when you live with other ppl you have to make a sincere effort to accommodate. Re your daughter and the heels, I think it is okay that she knows "I dont wear heels for dress up because Im considerate of other ppl." Way better for her development than being able to clop around in heels.

das you are right but people on here are saying that people make more noise barefoot than in shoes. I personally don't like to go barefoot but I think that most people do. Does that mean that apartment dwellers are inconsiderate if they go barefoot?

das

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:30 am
southernbubby wrote:
das you are right but people on here are saying that people make more noise barefoot than in shoes. I personally don't like to go barefoot but I think that most people do. Does that mean that apartment dwellers are inconsiderate if they go barefoot?

I think it's reasonable to WALK around barefoot in your house.

abound

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 11:38 am
Don't have any advice just hang in there! Its hard not getting along with neighbors.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:41 pm
It's the riding toys. You have no idea what it sounds like when a child id riding a toy car (or playing with cars/trucks) when you are underneath the kids playing. Even if your kids are playing quietly, if something is rolling across the floor it can literally sound like a train is coming in. I lived in the basement so I remember this noise. And please do not let your kids run around or play with hard object that bang on the floor at 6am. That is ridiculously early and I'm sure you wake them up every day. At that time of the morning they can tiptoe, color, read, watch a quiet video.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
It's the riding toys. You have no idea what it sounds like when a child id riding a toy car (or playing with cars/trucks) when you are underneath the kids playing. Even if your kids are playing quietly, if something is rolling across the floor it can literally sound like a train is coming in. I lived in the basement so I remember this noise. And please do not let your kids run around or play with hard object that bang on the floor at 6am. That is ridiculously early and I'm sure you wake them up every day. At that time of the morning they can tiptoe, color, read, watch a quiet video.

Did op say they have riding toys? I missed that. Omg op you can not use those inside when you are in an apartment.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:

Riding toys are definitely a crime against humanity (of the apartment dwelling species at least). I don't have anyone living over me but I was visiting a friend once and the kids in the apartment above her were riding on a bimba (ubiquitous Israeli riding toy). The noise was really horrible.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:49 pm
watergirl wrote:
Did op say they have riding toys? I missed that. Omg op you can not use those inside when you are in an apartment.

Nope she did not, unless I missed it.
She stated that she's careful- I.e. no dress up heels, no loud music, tv. But just the regular kids living & breathing noises.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 12:56 pm
watergirl wrote:

I never said I have riding toys. no bikes or scooters in the house. I do have toy cars and doll strollers though. If they complained about a specific time or place or thing I can work on that. I am not out to make their lives miserable. If they just say you sound like a zoo all hours of the day and night there is not really much I can do.......

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 1:05 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
I never said I have riding toys. no bikes or scooters in the house. I do have toy cars and doll strollers though. If they complained about a specific time or place or thing I can work on that. I am not out to make their lives miserable. If they just say you sound like a zoo all hours of the day and night there is not really much I can do.......

I am sure there are times worse than others. You really can try the cheap carpets for trucks, not sliding chairs, quiet hours before 8 a.m., no doll carriages, etc.

You can also apologize and let them know you tried. Some people can be disarmed with kindness. Bake an extra challah for them. Say hello. Tell them you are trying these things.

amother
Saddlebrown

chocolatecake wrote:

noooo.... toy cars and strollers cannot be used if you do not have a carpet. Maybe at 1pm but not when they are sleeping at 6am. They might hear you a lot but trust me if you are careful not to make noise early in the morning they would not complain as much.

I have tenants .... I am always telling my kids they cannot use the floor ...meaning they can't play skip it, jump rope, belts, twister, rolling balls, toys with wheels ... for that they go upstairs to the carpeted bedroom. Teach your kids to lift chairs, not push them - that noise os grating from below.

Start with not making any noise in the morning and see how much happier the people below will be.

btw- your dd will be fine without dress up shoes. You are teaching her to respect other people now ...she gets to dress up but quietly - what's wrong with that?

InnerMe

chocolatecake wrote:

Ugh. Let us know if and what works out for you.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 1:14 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Ugh. Let us know if and what works out for you.

nothing is going to work because I am not making any big changes. If they said please be quieter at 630 am I can do that - but they didnt say anything specific. For all I know they start work at 7am and are out the door at 6. I have no idea their schedule or what bothers them.

The only thing specific she said was your kids are even jumping at 2 am. My kids are sound asleep at 8pm. Short of my son going from his bed to the bathroom or me getting an unwanted visitor there is no kid movement after 8 pm.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics