Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do you let your 5 year old daughter wear pants?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you let your 5 year old daughter wear pants?
Yes  
 33%  [ 47 ]
No  
 66%  [ 94 ]
Total Votes : 141

imasoftov

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:
Why?

(We Brits actually don't wear pants anyway - for us that refers to mens' underwear.)

That's why.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 3:29 pm
Teomima wrote:
Yes but I'd let my daughters wear pants at any age, as do I (we're DL). Their school requires skirts starting in fourth grade but most girls just toss skirts on top of their pants.
Same exact answer. DL community and my daughter is older than 5 and she can wear pants whenever she wants, except to school when there is a dress code starting from 4th grade.
(Ive even started wearing pants sometimes myself - especially to the makolet in the winter Wink )

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 3:33 pm
I would let up until around 6 (I.e. when they start first grade) but my daughter decide at 4 years old on her own to wear only skirts/dresses (somewhat to my dismay, since it's so much easier to keep warm in winter in sweat pants). We are dati torani in Israel, and apparently the average age to start wearing skirts around here is gan chova (around age 5), though it varies where we live between ages 3-6 for the majority. I always have her wear some form of shorts or leggings underneath so no one will see her underwear while she's playing and for warmth in the winter.

icebreaker

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 5:34 pm
Teomima wrote:
Wow, has anyone noticed how those of us writing that we/our daughters wear pants are getting hugs? Passive aggressive much?

I always get confused when I see someone has hugged my post. I always thoughts hugs were good things but it seems like on here, a hug signifies some kind of disagreement (or in your words, passive aggressiveness)?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 5:39 pm
imasoftov wrote:
There should be another question, how many members are British?

Are you one of those members?

imasoftov

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
Are you one of those members?

I grew up on public television in the US.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:43 pm
icebreaker wrote:
I always get confused when I see someone has hugged my post. I always thoughts hugs were good things but it seems like on here, a hug signifies some kind of disagreement (or in your words, passive aggressiveness)?

It's more like a nebach, pity hug that you are so misinformed and confused about the correct derech to follow the torah, or life in general.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:51 pm
Leggings yes, but not in school bc it's not part of dress code. I'm lite chassidish.

Laiya

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
Yes of course. How can a preschooler play run and climb with a skirt on?

Shorts under the skirt.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:54 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
It's more like a nebach, pity hug that you are so misinformed and confused about the correct derech to follow the torah, or life in general.

I assumed the hugs were from those who also let their daughters wear pants.

My plan with future daughters is to have stopped pants already by age three. I myself wear skirts all the time, and have no trouble doing anything -- including building things. I wear leggings under in the winter.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:58 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Never said I did it, but that's how I just understand those people...
But really, you have to ask the huggers...

onlyone

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:22 pm
we are modern. My girls stop wearing pants in the first grade, when they start wearing a uniform, so usually about 6. This is common in our community. and on top of that, many modern families where I live let there daughters where pants far later than this, even at 8, 10 or 11. But that is not what we follow.

RS22

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 9:36 pm
We asked and were told until 5. So we stopped when she entered kindergarten, she was 2 months shy of 5. All her friends were older (she's the youngest) and most had already stopped.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:02 pm
Stopped at 3.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:50 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Same exact answer. DL community and my daughter is older than 5 and she can wear pants whenever she wants, except to school when there is a dress code starting from 4th grade.
(Ive even started wearing pants sometimes myself - especially to the makolet in the winter Wink )

Anyone else here clueless about what a DL is?

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone else here clueless about what a DL is?

Dati Leumi

LittleMissMama

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:52 pm
I consider myself MO. My daughter started at age 5. I didnt ask a rav though, it just seemed like the right time. Dress code at school starts in K.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:54 pm
amother wrote:
Dati Leumi

Thanks!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:58 pm
pause wrote:
How not? She's not wearing pencil skirts so she can run and climb.

Little kids do somersaults and roll on the floor and hang upside down from the monkey bars and mine have yoga in school. Those don’t work well with a skirt.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
Little kids do somersaults and roll on the floor and hang upside down from the monkey bars and mine have yoga in school. Those don’t work well with a skirt.

Tons and tons of little girls do all the normal kid things in skirts and tights/leggings. I see it all the time. I go to the gym in a skirt and leggings. To each his own, but don't say it doesn't work when it obviously works for so many.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers