Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Which spices do you always have
Previous  1  2  3

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 6:06 am
Boca00 wrote:
None of you use onion soup mix?

I use it in cholent, meat, soups, and rice.

NEVER EVER! It's an industry processed product which is extremely unhealthy. It's a big NONO. No gourmet restaurant will ever use it. I was in cooking school and we never used any kind of soup powder. Ever.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 6:08 am
dovebird wrote:
What do you guys use smoked paprika for? Now I'm thinking I should add it to my spice cabinet...

For cholent and anything that you use regular paprika for. Intense flavour and delicious!

etky

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 6:17 am
So I just counted - I have about 50 spice jars/bottles in my pantry though some of the more exotic ones I really use only for specific recipes.
Aquad - I use cardamom too, generally in Indian dishes.
It's also in some of the spice blends that I use: in Hawayj, which I use mostly in soups, especially red lentil soup, and in Baharat which I use mostly for rice and certain ground meat recipes.
Morningsickness- I also love thyme. I especially love it in onion soup and in mushroom quiche.
It also features heavily in McCormick's Caribbean spice blend that I use on chicken.
Dovebird -I use smoked paprika on chicken and also on roast potatoes. I like it in cholent too.
Pink Fridge - I also use Old Bay. It's one of the only things I still need to 'import' from the States. I have never found it here. Love it on chicken.
I also use lots of fresh herbs as seasoning. My favorites are cilantro (kuzbara), parsely, basil and rosemary. I only like dill in very specific dishes.
Teomima - garlic is a staple in my kitchen and I use mostly fresh but in certain applications I prefer the ground dried granules. When I roast vegetables or chicken at a high temperature the fresh garlic is prone to scorching so that is when I like to sub the dried stuff. I also use it if I don't happen to have the fresh stuff on hand.
If I had to list the spices I use most frequently, that I could absolutely not do without I would say: garlic, black pepper, cumin, paprika, cinnamon and something herby - either oregano or basil.

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 8:01 am
My top few spices:
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Garlic salt
lawrys seasoned salt
Paprika

I have lots of other spices but don’t use them on a daily basis.

keepsmiling:)

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 8:25 am
Salt
Black pepper
Paprika
Garlic powder
Onion powder

These are the ingredients I always have. I have other spices like steak rub, ginger, herbs... that I don't use that much

morningsickness

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
הל is cardamom. Some people put it in coffee.

Thanks for this Amother Cerulean!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 9:43 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
What spices do I have?

ALL OF THEM!!!

If there is a spice, I have it. If I don't have it yet, I want it. I love cuisine from all over the world, and I love to experiment.

Something similar here, except that the one I really need at the moment I'll have run out of.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 9:56 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
NEVER EVER! It's an industry processed product which is extremely unhealthy. It's a big NONO. No gourmet restaurant will ever use it. I was in cooking school and we never used any kind of soup powder. Ever.
onion soup mix is my guilty pleasure, and I try to stay away from it. But what do you use as a substitute ? Sometimes a recipe calls for it and I’m not good enough at cooking to figure out what to use instead. I usually use salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. But it’s still missing the umami you get from soup mix.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
onion soup mix is my guilty pleasure, and I try to stay away from it. But what do you use as a substitute ? Sometimes a recipe calls for it and I’m not good enough at cooking to figure out what to use instead. I usually use salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. But it’s still missing the umami you get from soup mix.

It depends on what you're making. Which dish can't you figure out a replacement for?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 10:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
It depends on what you're making. Which dish can't you figure out a replacement for?
scalloped potatos, chicken pot pie, pepper steak ?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
scalloped potatos, chicken pot pie, pepper steak ?

You're adding sauteed onions to the scalloped potatoes? It needs fresh garlic as well. You'll need a lot more salt than when you use soup mix, which has a ton of sodium. Kosher salt adds lots of flavor besides for saltiness as an FYI.
Chicken pot pie needs a good base of lots of sauteed onions and garlic and of course salt.
Pepper steak also needs fresh onion, garlic, soy sauce, salt... If you like the flavor you can use chicken soup broth as well.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 11:03 am
amother wrote:

I'd saute mushrooms and onions instead of the onion soup mix. Maybe also soy sauce in place of salt.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 2:06 pm
I just got a chance to read thru everything. I wouldn't even know what to do with half these spices. how do you know what goes with what dish? is it based on a recipe or do you try and fail or do you go with your feeling?

I'd love to upgrade but I wouldn't know what to buy first.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 2:14 pm
glamourmom wrote:
I just got a chance to read thru everything. I wouldn't even know what to do with half these spices. how do you know what goes with what dish? is it based on a recipe or do you try and fail or do you go with your feeling?

I'd love to upgrade but I wouldn't know what to buy first.

Tell us what dishes you're looking to upgrade.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 2:19 pm
nothing specific. I'm looking for new foods to make, new dinner dishes that are child friendly and not complicated.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:

I use it sometimes, but I also don't pretend to be a gourmet cook.

For every ¼ cup of onion soup mix in a recipe, you can combine 3 tablespoons of minced onion flakes, 2 tablespoons of beef bouillon powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon parsley flakes, 1/8 teaspoon ground celery seeds, and a pinch each of black pepper, sweet paprika, and salt. Or leave out the bouillon. Or use sauteed onions.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics