Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Your Veiw on Open Orthodoxy
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Is Open Orthodoxy a Stream of Orthodox Judaism just like MO, Chareidi, Litvish etc.?
Yes  
 17%  [ 24 ]
No  
 70%  [ 96 ]
Not sure (Specify below)  
 11%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 136

Princess23

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 1:50 am
tichellady wrote:
Of course halakha changes. We have an oral law to allow for that process. People may prefer to say “ halakha does not change, but halakhic approaches may change as reality changes etc” but I think that’s just semantics ( but ok if that’s how you want to think about it)

Areas in which halakha has changed that I can think of on the top of my head : going from being allowed to no longer being allowed to kill lice on shabbos, how we treat people who are mechalel shabbos, takanot, women and Talmud Torah etc

I can tell your open orthodox just by the way you write halacha. Also, don’t forget many people on here still don’t support women learning gemera.

Princess23

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 1:54 am
SixOfWands wrote:
That's OK.

The question is does Open Orthodoxy exist? Has it ever existed?

AIUI, its just a term that some used for a movement within Modern Orthodoxy. And that those who attack it may pay lip service to not attacking MO, but the attacks relate to things that are earmarks of MO Judaism.

In any case, YCT no longer uses the term, so I would submit that if "Open Orthodoxy" ever existed, it no longer does.

Open orthodoxy still very much exists. Maharat and yct still very much exists.

sequoia

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:24 am
Stop
Bumping
Old
Threads

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:29 am
Princess23 wrote:
Your understanding is exactly correct. But, they get very offended and quick to say something back in return to defend themselves and explain why they call themselves orthodox, when others don’t view them as such.

This thread is 6 years old....

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 3:43 am
I am locking this for now. Please PM if you feel a need to reopen it. -- imasinger, as mod
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics