Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is a Dana buchman handbag from kohl’s tacky?
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:48 am
I’m trying to look put together and I don’t know these things. Please be honest.

No comments that I shouldn’t care what people think- ty

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
I’m trying to look put together and I don’t know these things. Please be honest.

No comments that I shouldn’t care what people think- ty

There are lovely purses available at Kohls. There are positively heinous purses available at Neiman Marcus

Nothing to do with brand or store.

If you're trying to appeal to people who search for labels, and look down on anyone who doesn't wear only thing from certain stores, then Kohls would be considered definitely downscale. But why would you care about such people, or aspire to be one yourself?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:01 pm
I don’t think I will choose something hideous but maybe nerdy and that’s what I’m trying to avoid.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:05 pm
TJ Maxx has a large selection of stunning ha bags for very cheap.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:10 pm
This??

https://express.google.com/pro....._dg=1

PAMOM

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:15 pm
I have a close friend who is very very wealthy. Yes, she has a few purses that cost thousands (Judith Lieber), but her go-to bags are from TJMaxx. She buys her yoga pants at Kohls and Costco, not lululemon. Style, not cost, matters. For the record, Dana Buchman makes classy things.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 2:15 pm
Any opinions I give about shaitels should be totally disregarded, but I do know my handbags. Here's my advice:

* Go for real leather. A leather bag can easily last 30 years and become a signature item in your wardrobe.

* Start with eBay. You can get a classic Coach bag for under $50. If you live near a Coach store, they'll refurbish it for free, but otherwise, just take it to a shoe repair store. They can polish it, and it will look spectacular. Sometimes you can find good deals on Dooney & Bourke or Mansur Gavriel bags. There are plenty of non-branded and vintage items, too.

* Check out Etsy. In addition to vintage stuff, they have lots of artisans selling handcrafted bags. You can often specify colors, sizes, or even have them monogram the bag.

* Focus on classic silhouettes and styles. Right now, for example, everyone is doing Chanel-style chains. A couple of years ago, it was gazillions of little zippers all over. Stay away from that. It will make the bag look dated within a year. The trifecta of luxury handbags, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Hermes, all make crazy runway stuff. But the bags they sell year after year -- the Chanel 2.55, the Louis Vuitton Speedy and Neverfull, and the Hermes Birkin and Kelly -- are all relatively simple and elegant. Look for bags with similar lines.

* Be sure to think through your bag needs first. Do you need to carry a computer or tablet in this bag? Does it need to serve as a diaper bag? Will it be your main handbag for errands or do you use a wallet-on-chain? A lot of people end up with bags they don't need or don't use because they haven't really thought through their lifestyle.

A nice-looking handbag doesn't have to be expensive and can really add a lot of sophistication to an outfit. It can even help non-outfits, like when you throw on a skirt and t-shirt and run out the door because you're late. Your handbag should send the signal that you're a woman of substance and are not to trifled with!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:09 pm
Wow! Thanks fox! I think I remember that you wrote a lot on another thread once about handbags. Was it you who wrote about asking your daughter to bring you an expensive bag when you were in the hospital? In any case, I followed that thread since I don’t know much about bags and was trying to learn.

I googled some of the companies you suggested- the bags are a few thousand dollars! I can’t spend like that but you are right that the bag should make me look respectable even if I don’t look up to par one day.

One thing that I want is small bag. I am short and bigger bags don’t look good. Preferably not messenger style. I also want my bag to be black and I don’t need it to hold a laptop or to be used as a diaper bag. So I thought the one I picked and posted met the criteria but I didn’t realize it wasn’t leather.

I am going from an Eddie Bauer $20 bag so a few thousand is way more than I wanted to spend. Truth is, I knew my old bag was not classy so lately I’ve been self conscious and leaving it in the car, putting my cellphone, credit card and keys in my pocket.

I don’t want to feel self conscious about my bag again and anyway in the summer I won’t have coat pockets for my things.

Why do some people just go into a store buy a bag and it looks good but I have to start a whole thread and still not know what to get?? I hope I will end up getting it right this time when I make my purchase! Thanks for all your help!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:20 pm
OP, I never notice whether a bag is leather or not (although Fox is totally right.) I have no idea about current brands, either.

What I do notice, is if the bag coordinates with the outfit, the size, shape, and how the person is wearing it.

If you are wearing a green coat, and you have a bright blue bag, and you're wearing it cross body, and it's rumpling up your coat, and it's so heavy you walk tilted, you're going to look bad no matter how expensive or trendy your bag is.

If you have a simple bag that matches your shoes and coat, not jammed full of junk, and you have the confidence to rock it, you'll look good no matter what. You can't mess that up.

IMHO, go with something simple, classy, and practical. If you can carry it with ease, you'll be fabulous!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:20 pm
The bag you posted is a tote -- definitely not small. Its cute and trendy, but its not leather, so it won't last for years.

Something like this is smaller, same price range. Somewhat trendy, but tending towards classsic: https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/j.....23776

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
I googled some of the companies you suggested- the bags are a few thousand dollars! I can’t spend like that but you are right that the bag should make me look respectable even if I don’t look up to par one day.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to spend thousands of dollars on a handbag. My luxury bags are all bought second-hand. I like to think that some nice rich lady warmed them up for me!

You can get something perfect for $50-$75.

If you don't need a tote bag-style, you might consider a smallish crossbody/shoulder bag.

The first two are Coach Classics from eBay. There are a ton of variations. Some look more saddle-like than others.
Coach Classic #1
Coach Classic #2

I also really like Etienne Aigner. They're owned by some multi-national corporation now, but I think their stuff holds up really well, both in quality and style.
Etienne Aigner

This reminds me of a cross between the Saint Laurent Sac du Jour and the Celine Luggage Tote. It's smaller, though, and isn't an obvious knock-off of either.
Small Leather Tote

See? You really shouldn't encourage me on this subject! Very Happy

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 4:52 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Something like this is smaller, same price range. Somewhat trendy, but tending towards classsic: https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/j.....23776

I was just about to say this looks like a great bag, and then I read the accompanying text and I said, "Wait a minute! Since when is Six hawking Ivanka's stuff?" Very Happy

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 5:19 pm
Fox wrote:
I was just about to say this looks like a great bag, and then I read the accompanying text and I said, "Wait a minute! Since when is Six hawking Ivanka's stuff?" Very Happy

Its licensed anyway.

Besides, its fun to tease on occasion.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 5:47 pm
How much do you want to spend? I can help you find something

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 11:54 am
Op here,

How’s this?

I like that it’s leather, black, small (read dimensions)

Don’t like the round hard shape on bottom

Does it look outdated/ used?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2.....3-30#

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 11:59 am
Like it!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 12:11 pm
Fox wrote:
Like it!

Phew!😉

What age bracket do you think it’s for?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 12:28 pm
OP, I'm no fashionista either. I buy what I like and is classic, so I can always be "in style" at some point in my life.

I buy all my bags from QVC now pretty much. Tons of name brand designers for $200 and under, with a great return policy.

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
What age bracket do you think it’s for?

I think this would be appropriate for almost anyone on Imamother -- maybe a little young for us bubbes, but even then, not wildly inappropriate.

The pros of the this bag are the fact that it's actually a very high-quality name that is not sold frequently in the U.S. You don't see tons of Trussardi stuff, but it's well-regarded internationally, and they've poached design talent from Fendi over the years. It's still family-owned, too, which is kind of cool in an era where most brands are owned by conglomorates.

The design is unique and interesting without being overwhelming -- it's not a look that would get old after a year. The feet on the bottom is a very high-end feature. The leather finish is known as "crespo leather" after Villa Crespo in Argentina. It's been popularized by a lot of Italian designers and is used by Dolce & Gabbana a great deal.

My only quibble would be the length of the handle. Thirteen inches is on the short side for shoulder bags, so measure where it would fall if you intend to wear it over your shoulder. If you're fairly petite, it'll be fine, but if you're bigger-boned, it might not be entirely comfortable.

This is definitely a bag that will stand up to a lot of daily wear-and-tear and last for years.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:07 pm
Fox wrote:
I think this would be appropriate for almost anyone on Imamother -- maybe a little young for us bubbes, but even then, not wildly inappropriate.

The pros of the this bag are the fact that it's actually a very high-quality name that is not sold frequently in the U.S. You don't see tons of Trussardi stuff, but it's well-regarded internationally, and they've poached design talent from Fendi over the years. It's still family-owned, too, which is kind of cool in an era where most brands are owned by conglomorates.

The design is unique and interesting without being overwhelming -- it's not a look that would get old after a year. The feet on the bottom is a very high-end feature. The leather finish is known as "crespo leather" after Villa Crespo in Argentina. It's been popularized by a lot of Italian designers and is used by Dolce & Gabbana a great deal.

My only quibble would be the length of the handle. Thirteen inches is on the short side for shoulder bags, so measure where it would fall if you intend to wear it over your shoulder. If you're fairly petite, it'll be fine, but if you're bigger-boned, it might not be entirely comfortable.

This is definitely a bag that will stand up to a lot of daily wear-and-tear and last for years.

Do you think its real? On Trussardi's site, the bags' linings have logos

and are crisply and neatly stitched.

In the photo OP provided, the lining didn't have a logo, and the stitching looked puckered and not at all crisp at the top.

(Yeah, I love bags too.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics