Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If you could add a subject to the high school curriculum...
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 12:45 pm
What would it be?
I just came across this video and it struck me how right they are! video

Anon cuz I just sent to my daughters school admin.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 12:49 pm
I'll start:
I would love to see a course about how you can prep a healthy meal in under 15 minutes. Leave the mac n cheese and frozen stuff out of your diet

Kitchen tips and tricks

Exploring safe and healthy outlets

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 12:53 pm
Art History

simcha2

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 12:54 pm
For Jewish schools: halacha and hashkafa; and how to tell the difference

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:04 pm
Gym (or more of it)
Some kind of psychology/emotional intelligence/social skills class done in a way that is participatory and engages the kids
Emunah and bitachon

I also think more focus on underlying learning skills would be great, e.g. kriah (even in older grades), HOW to read and understand a rashi/meforash, the logic behind math (I hate this new math nonsense), HOW to read and study from textbooks.

I'm sure I could come up with plenty more, but that's it for now. Oh, and not learning related, but I'd love if there were less sales. Donut sales, soda sales, pizza sales...it can become a bit much.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:13 pm
For me, it wouldn't be to add a subject.

It would be to change the format completely. Instead the focus on only accepting the metzuyan for boys high schools, there would be room for everyone. There would be an active demonstration of faith that torah belongs to all of us because it is our right and privilege.

If I really had to choose what to add, I would make a class that helps kids focus on inspiration in life around us - ppl, places, things that happen.

I try to do this on my own as a parent, but it. is. tough.

busymother

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:16 pm
Talking about sales... lunch prep 101! The parents don't need to support the local pizza shops and bakeries!

Laiya

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:16 pm
computer programming

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:28 pm
Laiya wrote:
computer programming

We actually had a basic computer programming course in my high school. Back in the day - really, really BASIC.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:32 pm
2 things.
1. Mindfullness or innate health or any othet mental wellbeing programme to prepare them for the knocks of life.
2. How to run a home...including budgeting...a bit of plumbing...light bulb changing....suppet prepping.....basic diy

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Gym (or more of it)
Some kind of psychology/emotional intelligence/social skills class done in a way that is participatory and engages the kids
Emunah and bitachon

I also think more focus on underlying learning skills would be great, e.g. kriah (even in older grades), HOW to read and understand a rashi/meforash, the logic behind math (I hate this new math nonsense), HOW to read and study from textbooks.

I'm sure I could come up with plenty more, but that's it for now. Oh, and not learning related, but I'd love if there were less sales. Donut sales, soda sales, pizza sales...it can become a bit much.

Oops...I didn't read the title carefully...I was talking about elementary school. High school is a whole 'nother animal!

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:38 pm
Ikrei emunah

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:08 pm
DrMom wrote:
Art History

Why? Doesn't high school have enough "academic" subjects that are intellectually interesting but don't ultimately lead to marketable skills (history, English lit, etc). People who want to take art history can take it in college.

I say computer science, all the way, with a choice to take HTML/CSS/JavaScript (web development) or Python (analytics).

Accounting as an option in 12th grade for girls who don't want to take calculus.

Oh man, I could write a magazine article or maybe a book on this -- Chumash and especially navi should be entirely focused on how we can apply it to our lives; the girls who will actually remember all the details of Elisha's nissim will learn it on their own anyway.

Oh, and speaking of English lit, scrap English lit. Have them read well-written persuasive essays and make them write their own. Again and again and again. Like AP Lang.

One day I'll open up a school, teach calculus, Chumash, and hashkafa, and hire my friends to teach all the other things Smile

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:35 pm
Duplicate

Last edited by naturalmom5 on Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:35 pm
Drivers Ed

Make it mandatory for all Chasidish high schools..

Unless the objective is to raise a whole generation of reverse maranos..[/quote]

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:38 pm
Child rearing!!!!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
Art History

I took art history! Wave

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:41 pm
time management skills.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:56 pm
Music, dance, yoga and gym

Laiya

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:57 pm
Chayalle wrote:
We actually had a basic computer programming course in my high school. Back in the day - really, really BASIC.

That IS impressive!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics