Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much property tax do u pay a year?
Previous  1  2

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 9:26 am
17 K in Lakewood, NJ

Amarante

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 10:15 am
In California, tax rates are approximately 1.5% of sales price and can only be increased by a small amount each year. This was done (theoretically) to prevent older people who were long term owners from being forced to sell if the value of their home went up.

In general, cities like New York will have lower tax rates for residents because they are able to get money from many other commercial sources and suburbs with good public schools will have the highest taxes because their only revenue source to a great extent is private residences. My parents' home in Midwood had far lower taxes (and was worth more) than my relatives' homes in New Jersey.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 10:36 am
Approx 30k

watergirl

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
Approx 30k

Where is that!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 10:57 am
watergirl wrote:
Where is that!

There are people that pay $27k in Airmont and Wesley Hills in Rockland . I've seen that more than once. I work in the real estate field and we collect the taxes at closing. It's really insane but it's real.

watergirl

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 11:25 am
thunderstorm wrote:
There are people that pay $27k in Airmont and Wesley Hills in Rockland . I've seen that more than once. I work in the real estate field and we collect the taxes at closing. It's really insane but it's real.

INSANE!!!!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 11:33 am
Oot we pay about 6k for a 5 bed 4 bath house about 3800 sq feet no goverment services besides trash pick up they don’t even plow the streets in the summer. I was always told we pay so much I guess compared to what houses are worth (ours is valued at 450k) it is a lot but nothing like Tri state area

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 12:05 pm
12K in Connecticut

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
6.5K. 2 family house in Brooklyn. It keeps going higher and higher together with value of house rising..

Where in Brooklyn is that?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:01 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

My taxes were $48,000 a year in Orange County NY 15 years ago!!!! Property purchased for $650,000 1999. It was on the market for a year at that price.

I now have a home twice as big and a quarter of the tax.

justforfun87

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 7:57 pm
4,400 in Baltimore County. We are in the "heart" of the community.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:15 pm
About $5,000 a year in Baltimore County. We are in a hot area where the prices are going up and up. Baltimore City’s property taxes are double the county. It used to be that this caused the houses in the city to be cheaper but I don’t see that’s the case so much anymore. Unless you move to certain neighborhoods. But there are other costs and factors involved. Like car insurance is much cheaper in the county (we saved 40% when we moved to the county) and the county water bill is much cheaper (we have a high bill of $45 every three months and in the city it was around $75-$100 EVERY month) and other little things. But if you qualify for home owners tax credit etc it might not matter so much.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 8:31 pm
I live in lakewood, 2,600 square feet, I pay over 12,000$ a year. excluding other stuff. 5 bedroom

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 10:16 pm
Southfield (Detroit) Michigan. Pay $5,000 for 1500 sq foot house. I think proportionately, I am paying as much as the high-end houses in expensive NY and NJ. Those paying $10,000 probably have around a 3000 sq foot house, right?

(Of course, we get abysmal services in exchange...yay Southfield...)

OutATowner

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 10:17 pm
3 br townhouse. 3,000. great township in many ways
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics