Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
To Leave Brooklyn, Or Not to Leave
Previous  1  2

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 3:47 am
amother wrote:
Sorry, can you clarify what you mean by this? It's pretty late in the season to move because I may not find a school to put them in? Is that what you're saying?

Depending on where you would move to it can be difficult to find placement for schools, playgroups, and babysitters mid year, particularly for extended hours.
Speaking as someone who lives in an out of town community.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 5:57 am
amother wrote:
OP here,

Thanks to those that shared your experiences.

Those that moved out, do you miss Brooklyn, like the hustle and bustle and conveniences? Do you feel that you will eventually try to come back or are you staying where you are?

I thought I would more, but I started loving the way OOT works and realized that each place has their mallos.

Regarding hustle and bustle, that also has to do with your family. I actually work way longer hours OOT than I did in Bklyn, but can never compare quality of life, overall, my whole family is ao much happier with the pace, that we realized, a lot of it is what you make of it. We all volunteer in Shul/school etc as we're appreciated here, small town we're noticed and important. Hustle and bustle is not on the street, it's what we decide and when we want to relax, we have quiet. We're NYers through and through and find our own hustle and bustle as that's my family's nature!

Conveniences really depend on where you move to, I just changed the way I shop.
I don't miss the From supermarkets, I realize we shop healthier and smarter now as I plan better. Where you are and if you keep CY/PY makes a big difference.
I'm more organized as we can't pick up bread and milk on walk home etc.

We don't have convenience of picking up pizza, a danish, sushi or ice cream on a whim and that's really fine. We didn't really need it anyway Very Happy

For us, schools worked out better as my kids love being important in school, instead of just one amongst thousands.
We went from a huge school, to one class per grade!

We left 4 years ago and we all feel, we'd NEVER go back!! I love the fact that I can relax in my yard in privacy, in Bklyn, when I walked out, there were so many neighbors and kids all over, never had a moment of privacy.

Parking!!!! the convenience of taking a car and knowing where you can put it when you return is indescribable!

I come from a. a very large extended family/clan that gets together a few times a year. In the past few years, one by one, we've been leaving. I do miss that , but it's changed enough already, that it's not what I grew up with anymore. I do miss the small things, like Shabbos meals, melave Malkas, brissim, upshernishes, but even though are dwindling as more leave.
Even the older generation in our family have moved out of NY, changing the existing dynamics.

For Yom Tov, we usually have family come to us, so it's great.
We come for weddings, maybe not all of us al the time, but we try.

Financially, we're doing way better than in Bklyn as expenses are lower. I also don't miss the gov't assistance attitude, doesn't exist where I am now. Everyone makes it on their own as it's more affordable in general.

What hashkafa you follow and line of work you/DH are in makes a big difference of options open to each family

We spent time deciding on what kind of place and then narrowed to a few options, made countless phone calls until we were left with 2 places. We spent shabbosm and visited schools in those areas before we made our final decision.we also know, we can always move again if need be, so far, we're very happy, so not on the table!
I moved to a place that I didn't know anyone! Was really nervous about that part!! Since, I always had a large family, I had built in people in my life, never had to find people! I grew up with built in cousins in all aspects of life, school, summer, newly married etc. I've come to realize, life doesn't start and end with my little world, there are so many amazing people out there!

Healthcare and special services are way better in NY, if really needed may deter some from leaving.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 8:33 am
shpitsel wrote:
there is no legit reason really (almost for everyone) to stay in Brooklyn , period!
not just about money wise ,just for your children's sake and from a yiddishkeit point of view ,there is no life in brooklyn

I'm having a flashback to seminary, back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, so of course things might have changed. We had a teacher from NY and there were many non-NYers in the class, and he was going on about how incredible life in NY was. The authenticity (homemade gefilte fish, I'm sure he did better than that but that's what I remember), the chessed (and here he really scored), and more.

I like NY. I could never see living there but I appreciate how people do. There are wonderful communities, wonderful mosdos, incredible variety of vibrant Jewish life.

I'm sorry for any of your possible experiences.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating