Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Rechnitz Decries Machlokes in Litvish Community in Speech a
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
What did he tell them to do?
Huh? did you read the article?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 4:50 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Huh? did you read the article?

Twice. He told them what not to do. Don't fight with each other. gasp.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:02 pm
@shabbatiscoming
Rechnitz wasn't addressing his comments to the Mir. The Mir is Gimmel, not Etz.
Since the Mir makes a big simchas beis hashoeva and invited him to speak, he used this opportunity to give over his message to other yeshivas/Jewish institutions.

He knew that people come to this simchas beis hashoeva from all over and that there would be "press" coverage in the frum websites and papers, so it was his chance to get his message out to the whole frum world.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
@shabbatiscoming
Rechnitz wasn't addressing his comments to the Mir. The Mir is Gimmel, not Etz.
Since the Mir makes a big simchas beis hashoeva and invited him to speak, he used this opportunity to give over his message to other yeshivas/Jewish institutions.

He knew that people come to this simchas beis hashoeva from all over and that there would be "press" coverage in the frum websites and papers, so it was his chance to get his message out to the whole frum world.
Literally no clue what etz and gimmel are (ill have to look them up - I know it has to fo with voting).
My point is that it doesnt matter who this rabbi was talking to, it could have been netanyahu or rav ksnyevsky, the queen of england or your local makolet owner, just because he gives tzedakah does not give him the right to think that what he says has any weight there at all. Its actually very pompous of him to think that it does.

bobeli

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:51 pm
A few years ago he was in Lakewood and gave a speech about the kids that had not been accepted to school, a vaad was created and today people thank the vaad.
Where where all of you that say that if he doesn't live there he shouldn't get involved?
And his money is good outside LA but his opinion is not?
He is very caring and involved askan, besides being a big philanthropist to all kinds of causes.
So he doesn't just write the multimillion dollar check from his office in LA, he cares.
Some years ago when the mir just lost the rosh yeshiva and had a debt of 7 million dollars he donated one and got other people to donate the rest, and set up a committee to make sure this doesn't happen again. Yes the Mir in Israel where he doesn't live.
So now that the subject is a bit more complicated because is not only money he has no right to try to make things better?

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:16 pm
bobeli wrote:
A few years ago he was in Lakewood and gave a speech about the kids that had not been accepted to school, a vaad was created and today people thank the vaad.
Where where all of you that say that if he doesn't live there he shouldn't get involved?
And his money is good outside LA but his opinion is not?
He is very caring and involved askan, besides being a big philanthropist to all kinds of causes.
So he doesn't just write the multimillion dollar check from his office in LA, he cares.
Some years ago when the mir just lost the rosh yeshiva and had a debt of 7 million dollars he donated one and got other people to donate the rest, and set up a committee to make sure this doesn't happen again. Yes the Mir in Israel where he doesn't live.
So now that the subject is a bit more complicated because is not only money he has no right to try to make things better?

The vaad was around for many years before his speech.

Many people in Lakewood felt like shabatiscoming, that he doesn't live here and it's not his business. But a lot of us felt that somebody with some clout needed to say it, us little guys keep talking about the issue with school acceptance, but nobody cares to listen. When someone they respected, or they are beholden to, said something it was a little harder to ignore. In the end his speech didn't change anything. It made a lot of people feel better, and made some other people feel guilty, but there was no change.

iyar

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Literally no clue what etz and gimmel are (ill have to look them up - I know it has to fo with voting).
My point is that it doesnt matter who this rabbi was talking to, it could have been netanyahu or rav ksnyevsky, the queen of england or your local makolet owner, just because he gives tzedakah does not give him the right to think that what he says has any weight there at all. Its actually very pompous of him to think that it does.

If you literally have no clue what etz and gimmel are, I'm not sure why you're commenting here.
It's very sad that there's machlokes among Jews.
The worst thing when a machlokes arises is for people to jump in and offer opinions when they have no idea what's going on and what's at stake.
Before you decide to pronounce others pompous, correct or incorrect, find out what the facts are.
Or, in the case of machlokes, another good option is to consider yourself lucky you have no idea what it's all about and stay out of it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:51 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Not sure why you keep refering to him as a rabbi - does he have Smicha?

Again - he was asked to speak. He didn't rush the stage.

Whether his words have weight is up to those listening to him to determine.

I watched the video. The crowd who gathered to dance, didn't pack up and leave after he finished speaking.

If you read what he wrote... did you see how carefully he choose his words.. did he come off as pompous to you?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:54 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
The vaad was around for many years before his speech.

Many people in Lakewood felt like shabatiscoming, that he doesn't live here and it's not his business. But a lot of us felt that somebody with some clout needed to say it, us little guys keep talking about the issue with school acceptance, but nobody cares to listen. When someone they respected, or they are beholden to, said something it was a little harder to ignore. In the end his speech didn't change anything. It made a lot of people feel better, and made some other people feel guilty, but there was no change.

Maybe that's because the powers that be made him retract his words (whilst he was with at his FIL's side on on his deathbed), rather than internalising anything.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 1:11 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

The problem with our generation is that no one takes a stand against injustice, or does anything real to try to effect lasting change. Rabbis are beholden to their congregations and their opinions, because they elected him and pay his salary. The only ones who can really say what they mean without fear are the wealthy.

Thank God he said something. Does God really want us to be silent in the face of injustice? To ignore it? Rechnitz has tremendous power in the frum world - your posts are ignorant of much of what he's done to aid the Jewish world and how much power he has because of it. I'm an insider, and I can tell you that his contributions - not just monetarily - if you knew about them, would strike awe in your heart. And no, I'm not related to him. He cries when someone tells him their sad situation - really cries. He feels klal Yisroel's pain. Perhaps more than most "Rabbis", and certainly I haven't seen our leaders get up in a public forum and say what he's said.

I applaud anyone who stands up for klal yisroel. Telling everyone to sit down and shut up has never effected real change anywhere. We should tell more people to stand up against injustice.

And by the way - if you saw the way he and his family lives, you wouldn't think he's pompous at all. I'm not sure why you think it's okay to denigrate someone like this.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 2:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
your link doesnt work.

theyeshivaworld.com/news/israel-news/1596542/tonight-rechnitz-to-speak-about-split-in-litvish-community-at-mir-yerushalayim-simchas-bais-hashoeva-watch-live.html

I removed the https://www. so it doesn't shorten.

Its the link in the first post.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:44 am
iyar wrote:
If you literally have no clue what etz and gimmel are, I'm not sure why you're commenting here.
It's very sad that there's machlokes among Jews.
The worst thing when a machlokes arises is for people to jump in and offer opinions when they have no idea what's going on and what's at stake.
Before you decide to pronounce others pompous, correct or incorrect, find out what the facts are.
Or, in the case of machlokes, another good option is to consider yourself lucky you have no idea what it's all about and stay out of it.
Meaning I know that gimmel and etz have to do with the elections, which parties, youve got me.
I dont care what the machloket is. Thats my point. I still think what rechnitz did was wrong.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
Not sure why you keep refering to him as a rabbi - does he have Smicha?

Again - he was asked to speak. He didn't rush the stage.

Whether his words have weight is up to those listening to him to determine.

I watched the video. The crowd who gathered to dance, didn't pack up and leave after he finished speaking.

If you read what he wrote... did you see how carefully he choose his words.. did he come off as pompous to you?
The article referred him as Reb....

ectomorph

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
The problem with our generation is that no one takes a stand against injustice, or does anything real to try to effect lasting change. Rabbis are beholden to their congregations and their opinions, because they elected him and pay his salary. The only ones who can really say what they mean without fear are the wealthy.

Thank God he said something. Does God really want us to be silent in the face of injustice? To ignore it? Rechnitz has tremendous power in the frum world - your posts are ignorant of much of what he's done to aid the Jewish world and how much power he has because of it. I'm an insider, and I can tell you that his contributions - not just monetarily - if you knew about them, would strike awe in your heart. And no, I'm not related to him. He cries when someone tells him their sad situation - really cries. He feels klal Yisroel's pain. Perhaps more than most "Rabbis", and certainly I haven't seen our leaders get up in a public forum and say what he's said.

I applaud anyone who stands up for klal yisroel. Telling everyone to sit down and shut up has never effected real change anywhere. We should tell more people to stand up against injustice.

And by the way - if you saw the way he and his family lives, you wouldn't think he's pompous at all. I'm not sure why you think it's okay to denigrate someone like this.
I'm sure he's glad his "insiders" are posting on imamother about stuff he wants .

If he's going to hire pr people, do it under a username instead of imamother.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:

I never said the man was pompous. I literally never heard of him before this website. I live in the DL/MO world in Israel. I have almost nothing to do with anything yeshiva world or even close to the mir in real life. Not because I think its wrong, jut because none of that is part of my real world. So, no, I have no idea anything about this man other than he is wealthy and give a lot of tzedakah. Wonderful. BUt I still feel that it does not give him the right to get up and speak. And again, he is not part of the world that is the mir yeshiva. He lives thousainds of miles away from that world. Money does not mean you get to decide things.

But Im in the minority here. Most others dont agree with me, which is fine. Its what I think, and Im fine with being in the minority.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:52 am
Also, rich people, if they do not follow the rabbonim, will in the long run cause great harm to the Jewish people.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:18 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

It did? Maybe we did read different articles.

iyar

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:31 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I never said the man was pompous. I literally never heard of him before this website. I live in the DL/MO world in Israel. I have almost nothing to do with anything yeshiva world or even close to the mir in real life. Not because I think its wrong, jut because none of that is part of my real world. So, no, I have no idea anything about this man other than he is wealthy and give a lot of tzedakah. Wonderful. BUt I still feel that it does not give him the right to get up and speak. And again, he is not part of the world that is the mir yeshiva. He lives thousainds of miles away from that world. Money does not mean you get to decide things.

But Im in the minority here. Most others dont agree with me, which is fine. Its what I think, and Im fine with being in the minority.

You're in the minority because you literally, by your own admission, don't know what this is all about.
There are numerous imamother posts asking women who don't belong to the DL/MO community not to comment or express opinions on DL/MO religious practice, minhagim, lifestyle choices etc. That should work in the opposite direction too. There are no good consequences that will result from being judgmental about something you know nothing about.

* In the non-DL/MO communities, "Reb" is used as an honorific similar to "Mister".

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 3:53 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

"Reb" usually davka doesn't mean semicha. It's a way to refer to a layperson respectfully.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 4:20 pm
iyar wrote:
You're in the minority because you literally, by your own admission, don't know what this is all about.
There are numerous imamother posts asking women who don't belong to the DL/MO community not to comment or express opinions on DL/MO religious practice, minhagim, lifestyle choices etc. That should work in the opposite direction too. There are no good consequences that will result from being judgmental about something you know nothing about.

* In the non-DL/MO communities, "Reb" is used as an honorific similar to "Mister".
I know what this is about. I meant I dont know which is gimmel and wich is etz, thats all. I live here in israel, I hear and read the news. I know about what is going on.
I am not being judgmental about the life style, not at all. I am talking specifically about this man who got up and gave his opinion, where, I personally, think it did not belong. That was it.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics