Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did your supper cost you today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:45 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why unsafe? Im nearing 40 and have had shabbat leftovers all of my life. Im still standing and never had food poisoning.
Chicken can be in the fridge for a few days after cooked, really.

I eat shabbos chicken and other stuff like kugels, soup etc until monday. If not eaten by then I freeze. I don't find reheated chicken appealing so I often make that into soup.

Another option would be to cut up the cooked chicken into cubes and freeze in ziplocks and use for chicken pot pie or similar dishes that start with cooked chicken. (I am way too lazy to do this but we often have chicken pot pie on sunday or monday)

I'm sure its safe to eat chicken past monday but I don't want to risk it.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:58 am
I think that those who eat reheated food after a few days build up more of a tolerance to some level of bacteria and are therefore less susceptible to food poisoning.

Since I don't know how others were raised, I am careful to only serve very fresh food to guests. But to my family I will serve refrigerated food up to a week old. (I cook everything for Shabbos on Friday, so the following Erev Shabbos I toss any uneaten leftovers.)

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:28 am
I grew up eating and enjoying leftovers. Never got sick from it. Interestingly enough, my husband finds leftovers nauseating, so I really don't serve them much at all anymore. I freeze on the same day or the day after I cook.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
the aldi lettuce is iceberg and it has a hechsher so no need to check it, is that what you meant?

No! Aldi lettuce is not checked for bugs! It is simply rinsed off, that’s it. Lettuce leaves are infested with tiny bugs and worms (you can see them with a good light and magnifying glass). I’ve often seen frum people buying lettuce at aldi’s and wondered about that.
We pay more for pre checked lettuce to avoid the possibility of eating bugs.

sky

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:17 am
My DH helps with the kiddush at a Shabbos minyan and they often serve frozen cholent at the kiddush. No one ever knows and it always gets finished!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:55 am
Ecru: Thank you! I only posted my comments because it is upsetting to me that people throw out food for no reason, and in this case, it is not settling for us to eat the "old" chulent. We like it, if anything, even more than the fresh (which is pretty darn good, too!)
Not worried about what future dils may say. I don't force anyone to eat anything. If you don't like it, there is more for those who do!! And anyway, like I said, I serve that as the appetizer. If you don't eat it, you won't go hungry!

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:59 am
amother wrote:
No! Aldi lettuce is not checked for bugs! It is simply rinsed off, that’s it. Lettuce leaves are infested with tiny bugs and worms (you can see them with a good light and magnifying glass). I’ve often seen frum people buying lettuce at aldi’s and wondered about that.
We pay more for pre checked lettuce to avoid the possibility of eating bugs.

When you see me at the store buying non checked lettuce, you dont need to wonder. I check my lettuce as per the star k’s direction. Why not assume that of everyone else as well and stop wondering? As for the poster who said that she has no need to check it because there is a hechsher, maybe her rav holds that way.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:08 am
amother wrote:
Ecru: Thank you! I only posted my comments because it is upsetting to me that people throw out food for no reason, and in this case, it is not settling for us to eat the "old" chulent. We like it, if anything, even more than the fresh (which is pretty darn good, too!)
Not worried about what future dils may say. I don't force anyone to eat anything. If you don't like it, there is more for those who do!! And anyway, like I said, I serve that as the appetizer. If you don't eat it, you won't go hungry!

No need to throw it out! Freeze it on sunday and reserve. But please don't keep in the fridge the whole week.

Do you tell your guests that the cholent was kept in the fridge since last week?

mandr

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:44 am
Keeping something in the coldest part of your fridge doesn’t help. Refrigeration merely slows down bacteria growth, while freezing halts it. Beans rot very quickly and the meat inside a Cholent should not be eaten past 3 days. Beyond that is extremely risky.

And reheating does not kill everything. For example toxins that may build up will not be killed at the temperature you rewarm it on.

Again, JUST BECAUSE YOUVE DONE A BAD UNSAFE PRACTICE FOR MANY YEARS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SAFE. yes that needed boldface. Because apparently nobody here gets it.

Hashem tells us to safeguard our bodies and take care of them. Throwing out old Cholent is by no means Baal tashchis.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
I suspect that the type of woman who would come on here to complain is not the type of woman that commendable amother Honeydew wants as a DIL. The fact she is getting attacked on here for reheating food is disgusting.

No one is attacking anyone for reheating food. All leftovers get eaten in my house. We polish off our cholent, but on Sunday or Monday. If you're happy to keep it an extra day, good for you.

But 8 days later like she does? Sorry that is unhealthy and gross. I don't know many people who would be willing to be a guest again after being served such food.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:55 am
Fwiw, I was once served the most amazing soup. The hostess blends her leftover cholent with an immersion blender and freezes. Following week, she added fresh meat and vegetables and water and somehow made it into a crockpot soup. It was unbelievable. She said she makes it every other shabbos for lunch with the cholent from the week before - but keeps it frozen in the mean time.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:57 am
watergirl wrote:
Fwiw, I was once served the most amazing soup. The hostess blends her leftover cholent with an immersion blender and freezes. Following week, she added fresh meat and vegetables and water and somehow made it into a crockpot soup. It was unbelievable. She said she makes it every other shabbos for lunch with the cholent from the week before - but keeps it frozen in the mean time.

If it gets frozen then it's no different than serving it on Sunday...

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:29 am
Per the govt food safety info cooked meat and seafood should not be eaten more than3-4 days after it was cooked if kept in the refrigerator.

Last edited by doodlesmom on Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:29 am
To Wheat and anyone else on this site who are not reading my posts carefully:

IT IS NOT GROSS!!!!!!! Such a comment, though, is. My reheated, 7 (not 8) day leftover chulent looks and tastes delicious. Like I said, I PURPOSELY make more than I need so that there are leftovers. We don't suffer when we eat it. Quite the contrary. If you think it is unhealthy, well you are wrong but I guess I cannot change your mind.
And btw, the only guests I have Friday nite are family who live in my neighborhood. I do not have friends over Friday nite. So you can quit worrying about those poor souls who I am tricking into eating old chulent. There are none.

merrygold

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:33 am
Pesek zman-
you mentioned way back at the beginning that when you make meatballs - a serving is 2.5 meatballs. That really works for you?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:37 am
And one more thing: guidelines about food spoilage put out by the government are for the most part, absurd. The list of foods that must be thrown out after being above 40 degrees for 2 hours is laughable. Cooked pasta, tuna, cheese - does no one send their kids these foods for school lunch?

My family is not comprised of super humans who are immune to infections. There is a lot of hype out there. As a person with a brain of my own, I don't believe every word I hear or read.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
If it gets frozen then it's no different than serving it on Sunday...

Correct. Just giving another idea for use.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:44 am
merrygold wrote:
Pesek zman-
you mentioned way back at the beginning that when you make meatballs - a serving is 2.5 meatballs. That really works for you?

When paired with a side dish (rice/pasta/kasha/etc) and a vegetable (squash fries/steamed broccoli/salad/baked sweet potato) yes that’s certainly sufficient. My husband have 3 but I usually find 2 is enough.

mandr

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:55 am
pesek zman wrote:
When paired with a side dish (rice/pasta/kasha/etc) and a vegetable (squash fries/steamed broccoli/salad/baked sweet potato) yes that’s certainly sufficient. My husband have 3 but I usually find 2 is enough.

It really depends on what size your meatballs are!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:57 am
mandr wrote:
It really depends on what size your meatballs are!

Obviously. I usually get 10 meatballs from 1lb of ground beef.
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics