Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Long term effects of ADHD meds
Previous  1  2

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:29 pm
One thing I read (and I'm not trying to start a debate here, just trying to hear personal experiences ) is that ADHD meds help with completing rote tasks but impair creativity. Basically that it makes you compliant but dull.

So, I'd like to hear if this was your experience. Did being on meds impair your ability to be creative or enjoy life?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
One thing I read (and I'm not trying to start a debate here, just trying to hear personal experiences ) is that ADHD meds help with completing rote tasks but impair creativity. Basically that it makes you compliant but dull.

So, I'd like to hear if this was your experience. Did being on meds impair your ability to be creative or enjoy life?

I'm not such a creative person to start, but it definitely made me enjoy life more because I finished my work in a normal amount of time.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:38 pm
OP this is a false dichotomy. It's not either meds, or your child struggles for life. There are other options out there. It would involve a lot more money and commitment than medication, but your could actually be treating what's causing the adhd ,which is really just a symptom.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
OP this is a false dichotomy. It's not either meds, or your child struggles for life. There are other options out there. It would involve a lot more money and commitment than medication, but your could actually be treating what's causing the adhd ,which is really just a symptom.

I'm open to hearing all options. No false dichotomy here.

I was actually expecting more negative experiences with meds. Surprised so far that nobody complained of side effects or feeling drugged up.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:

With the right dosage of the right medication, this is not usually the case. You run into such issues when the Med or dosage is wrong.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:36 pm
I have one friend who is unbelievably creative, a preschool teacher. She got meds when she was in her 50s. Says she can get her prep work done in half the time and she is as creative as ever. Had an adult client who complained her brain felt like scrambled eggs before she was diagnosed with ADHD and got meds. Child client on meds for 7 years. Still needs tutoring. Had therapy and the family needed to do some work for his explosive temper and poor family dynamics. Doing very well but complains that has no appetite for breakfast (gets complicated because davens with minyan in yeshiva) so now that he's older, takes meds by himself after eating something. I could tell right away if he came to a session unmedicated. He goes off it for the summer.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:29 am
eema of 3 wrote:
With the right dosage of the right medication, this is not usually the case. You run into such issues when the Med or dosage is wrong.

That seems to imply that medications DO cause loss of creativity, necessitating a change in dose or medication.

But I'm really most interested in personal experience. Are you saying that you had a loss of creativity that went away with a change in dose or medication?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:53 am
In regard to creativity-

I was FINALLY diagnosed with ADHD about 6 months ago (I'm in my 20's) and started concerta right away. It took time until we found the dose that was right for me, and in the process, I discovered that the concerta was EXACERBATING my anxiety (it was not the cause of my anxiety but really did exacerbate anxiety that was always there) so I began zoloft as well. The process of figuring out the right dose was torture. When I went too high the side effects were really horrible. I am glad it was an experience that happened over the summer so I was not working...

but NOW- I am on the right dose, and I feel SO SO SO incredible!!

I am a pre-school teacher and I have always been known to be creative, but this year my creativity has increased 10-fold, because I am actually able to EXECUTE the ideas that I have!! I feel full more focused at work, more organized, more on top of my game, more present.... the problem is when the meds run out at the end of the day, I have NO energy to clean my house....!!

I am SO grateful to have found the answer to my lifelong struggle, and as many others have mentioned, I wish my teachers and family would have picked up on it sooner so I wouldn't have had to struggle so much through school!!!

I fantasize about trying out 5th grade again with a little dose of concerta... my whole self-image would have been different!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:52 am
if your on the right meds it does not impair creativity at all

my younger adhd sons are succeeding in school and doing amazing with the help of medicine (and coaching - we got good guidance on how to deal with things)
I wish we could have done this for my oldest but back then we were denying adhd - and the younger you treat it the better (from my experience and I have a house full of adhd so I have experience here)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
That seems to imply that medications DO cause loss of creativity, necessitating a change in dose or medication.

But I'm really most interested in personal experience. Are you saying that you had a loss of creativity that went away with a change in dose or medication?

No, it is NOT the meds themselves that cause the zombie-like behavior. When the neorotransmitters are inaccurately stimulated, this is what happens.
I have never been medicated. My son has, but he never experienced this zombie-like behavior. I know other kids who have though. It’s not a loss of creativity. It’s overstimulation. What happens is that, in the adhd brain, the neurotransmitters don’t work properly, so the brain can’t adequately calm down enough to focus. (This is really a very basic explanation, it’s much more complex that this.) with appropriate medication, the brain functions correctly. With overstimulation, or improper stimulation, the brain still can’t function properly. Often, but not always, this will cause the brain to calm down TOO MUCH, causing he zombie-like behavior. It’s not an actual loss of creativity, it’s more like there is a cloud in the brain and creativity is stuck behind the cloud.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 8:01 am
amother wrote:

I started to enjoy live only after I was on meds. Before I was bad in school and did not have friends.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 8:06 am
My husband and 2 of my children have ADHD. My husband did not have meds as a child and he had a very difficult childhood because of it. He failed every class in school and was constantly getting in trouble. It impacted his self-esteem terribly. I believe his parents did a big disservice to him for not medicating him.
My 2 children are on meds for years and the meds affect them differently. For my older child it did allow him to function in school and ultimately helped socially because he was not disturbing the class. It did have negative effects though. Aside from no appetite, it increased his anxiety a lot and he needed to go on anxiety meds for a while. It was difficult to see a child like that but he needed it. Now, after being on it for several years it's great: I no longer see anxiety and he's doing really well all around.
My second child reacts terribly to meds (and we tried many). It saps her personality and when she is on it her affect is flat. She is now on a low dose of meds which takes the edge off of her ADHD and minimizes side effects. I hope effects are not long-lasting but I'm not yet convinced.
From my experience ADHD meds are a necessary evil. It is critical to work with an excellent psychiatrist who will be on top of things and always think out of the box for medications that work for the individual child.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 9:20 am
I already posted about my son. Just another point: when I discussed it with my pediatrician, he told me that he has ADHD himself and that his elementary school years were a nightmare and he wishes his parents would have put him on meds. He managed to make it through med school Wink but he says that his school experience could have been totally different and he medicates his own ADHD kids.

professor

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:19 am
I am one who did not take meds. However, I do not know for sure if I have ADHD because I was never diagnosed and can't bring myself to make an appointment for that right now. Growing up I hated school. I would get 100's and 20's on tests there was no consistency at all in my school work I was shy but also extremely loud. I was never able to follow conversations with other girls. We would stand or sit in a group and discuss X and all I kept picking up was Y Z and other minor stuff that had almost nothing to do with X in the conversation. I felt awkward and many times made comments on things totally unrelated. I would float from group to group trying to find my place between friends and never felt part of any "click" I would sit on the edge of the porch (in a way that any wrong move would mean my fall 3 floors down) on the third floor on a regular basis, as well as other crazy dangerous things.

Today I struggle with daily schedule. Keeping appointments, making appointments, doing housework, finishing things, not losing things and track of time etc. I have to make a concious effort to focus on what my kids are saying and remembering it. I keep forgetting homework for my kids (I never did any homework myself) they are better than I am at being responsible. My things are all over the place and I am very messy with my wardrobe and stuff.

I am not sure that I would start on meds today even if I do get around to seeing a doctor for it and being diagnosed. (I need to get around to see a doctor for my physical ailments first)

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:

my younger adhd sons are succeeding in school and doing amazing with the help of medicine (and coaching - we got good guidance on how to deal with things)
I wish we could have done this for my oldest but back then we were denying adhd - and the younger you treat it the better (from my experience and I have a house full of adhd so I have experience here)
What age? I thought there are risks from starting treatment too young?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:

What age would you start. I have a 7 year old that looks like will need medication. At what age do I take her to get evaluated and get medication?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics