Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Pros and cons of the name Shalom?
Previous  1  2  3

redhot

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 11:44 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Someone mentioned it earlier...

oh! I didnt see that. sorry then

GAMZu

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 11:52 pm
Sholy is a nickname for Shaul, in my experience.

Anyway, I didn't know about all the restrictions on Shalom! I have a Meshulem who sometimes gets called "Shulem" by ppl who didn't hear it properly the 1st time. LOL I also have a Gedal-kah. Wink

Choccy, would you please pass the Ginger Kel?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 11:54 pm
I was told by a Rav that 'kE-L' names are not considered Shem Hashem even tohugh when translated it has Shem Hashem.

He told me that if you were to spell Netanel like "Netan'el", then it would be considered Shem Hashem because you're recognizing and differentiating the "kE-L". However if you spell it without the apostrophe then it's not Shem Hashem.

And I'd like the citation in the SA regarding not saying Shalom in the bathroom.

Hannah!

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 12:15 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

grin

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 2:54 am
kitzur shulchan aruch - siman hei, seif 14: I'm not quoting word for word -
not to mention Hashem's name even in another language (like G-d!), or to say "shalom" to his freind, since this is one of Hashem's names, but to call someone who's name is Shalom, some ossur and some matir - and this is how we're [the Kitzur paskens to] noheg, and a yerei shamyim should be careful.

I guess it's a shelia for your rav, which way you're noheg?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 3:01 am
GAMZu wrote:

Choccy, would you please pass the Ginger Kel?

Rolling Laughter

shalhevet

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 3:11 am
mommy24 wrote:
Quote:
Yup, and I remember learning that one shouldn't say Shalom before davening bircos hashachar in the morning.

Is this true? shock one of my sons' names is shalom and I never heard of this before, I rarely say birchos hashachar before dropping him off at school embarrassed

I don't think you have to say birchos hashachar before saying the word Shalom, when used as a name.

There are two separate problems here:
One is that the word Shalom, is also one of Hashem's names - so that you are not allowed to say the word, whatever you mean by it, when in the bathroom.
The other is that in the morning, before you daven, you are not allowed to greet someone with the word Shalom (I think even saying good morning is a problem, though less of one). Presumably this wouldn't be a problem when used as a name, since you are using the word in another sense.

To all the posters who are worried about using/writing names that include shem Hashem as some of the letters, do you have any halachic source (especially before you worry loads of other posters)? AFAIK it is all a made-up chumra with no halachic base at all, since the name is a different name in itself. (I have a Daniel and an Elisheva for the record).

grin

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 5:45 am
shalhevet wrote:
I don't think you have to say birchos hashachar before saying the word Shalom, when used as a name.

One is that the word Shalom, is also one of Hashem's names - so that you are not allowed to say the word, whatever you mean by it, when in the bathroom.
The other is that in the morning, before you daven, you are not allowed to greet someone with the word Shalom (I think even saying good morning is a problem, though less of one). Presumably this wouldn't be a problem when used as a name, since you are using the word in another sense.

To all the posters who are worried about using/writing names that include shem Hashem as some of the letters, do you have any halachic source (especially before you worry loads of other posters)? AFAIK it is all a made-up chumra with no halachic base at all, since the name is a different name in itself. (I have a Daniel and an Elisheva for the record).

1st - please note - in the source in the Kitzur, he notes that even the discussion about the name Shalom is a chumra, in his opinion
2nd - the other names that include shem Hashem as some of the letters - this is definitely seems to be a chumra, albeit a nice one.
3rd - when in doubt, and it's l'maase, always ask your LOR. He'll be pleased you thought to ask!

mimivan

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 5:59 am
rg wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

1st - please note - in the source in the Kitzur, he notes that even the discussion about the name Shalom is a chumra, in his opinion
2nd - the other names that include shem Hashem as some of the letters - this is definitely seems to be a chumra, albeit a nice one.
3rd - when in doubt, and it's l'maase, always ask your LOR. He'll be pleased you thought to ask!

What a nice thought!

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 6:16 am
Hannah! wrote:
Kmelion -- When writing out names that end in "keil" I usually put a dash between the alef and the letter following it, lamed(*) just to make sure that there is no confusion on this point. It actually lead to a bit of a tiff when making up my wedding invitations, b/c my husband's middle name ends in "k'eil" and he is opposed to the dash.

Well, you might want to get clarification from your LOR as mine said specifically not to do it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 8:33 am
My husband also learned about 'shalom', I can ask him to find the source?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names