Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD, 12, going to camp 1st time. What shtick does she need
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:24 pm
Yes. Tutus. Here's what I sent (not all the same yr and not all at the start of the summer)
Glow in the dark stuff..fun socks....friendship bracelet kit....plain pillowcase for autographs...long lasting bubbles...funky sunglasses. ...purim costume bits like wings...face paint....

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:28 pm
I get this post. I think maybe a bit early to be worried about this - but I get this post. Try to find some staff from last summer to talk to.

When I was at camp - everyone had a certain kind of pjs. I didn't. This stuff matters to girls. Nothing wrong with wanting your kid to fit in as much as possible.

camp is its own little world - with its own culture.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:33 pm
So Babyblue, do most girls wear leggings and PJs or something else?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:37 pm
Babyblue, 1-2 little things that would make the child fit in is ok. But to shlep along chairs, rugs, certain type laundry bags, funky pillows..... seems a bit over the top. And when the mom is asking around what of these her daughter "needs" without her daughter even asking for them, she's teaching her daughter that this is important in life.

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Which camp did Shimi Adar switch to last year after she left Oorah?

I saw on instagram she was in camp shoshanim in Pennsylvania.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
Babyblue, 1-2 little things that would make the child fit in is ok. But to shlep along chairs, rugs, certain type laundry bags, funky pillows..... seems a bit over the top. And when the mom is asking around what of these her daughter "needs" without her daughter even asking for them, she's teaching her daughter that this is important in life.

My daughter doesn't NEED IT. I Want her to fit in. It's not over the top at all. Trust me, my daughter knows what's important in life. If I want to spend the money to make sure she feels good about herself, that's my choice and my problem . No one elses.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:

I think it's perfectly normal, caring, and supportive for a mother to want to know what is the norm in a camp she is sending her young daughter to. And if those are the norm in the camp she will be attending, then the whole camp may be over the top, but she will not do her daughter a favor by expecting her to manage without what's considered that camp's norm.

I just can't help without knowing which camp, because, like I posted, the camp my DD's attended was pretty no-frills, chillled, etc...which happens to fit with my family's Hashkafa, etc...but if for some reason I had a child that would attend a camp with different standards (as a camper - staff is somewhat different), then that would change. Chanock L'naar al pi Darko.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:47 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think it's perfectly normal, caring, and supportive for a mother to want to know what is the norm in a camp she is sending her young daughter to. And if those are the norm in the camp she will be attending, then the whole camp may be over the top, but she will not do her daughter a favor by expecting her to manage without what's considered that camp's norm.

I just can't help without knowing which camp, because, like I posted, the camp my DD's attended was pretty no-frills, chillled, etc...which happens to fit with my family's Hashkafa, etc...but if for some reason I had a child that would attend a camp with different standards (as a camper - staff is somewhat different), then that would change. Chanock L'naar al pi Darko.

THANK YOU!! YOU ARE THE VOICE OF REASON!!!!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:57 pm
I agree that it's important for a 12 yr old girl to be with it and have the in things in sleep away camp. I actually think that it's more important in camp then it is the rest of the year. Maybe it's because you are actually living and breathing camp the entire time. I'm not for keeping up with everyone else but I do see this as something that is important.
Just thinking back to my camp years over 25 years ago... there were certain hair scrunchues that we all wore in camp. We all had Keds sneakers. We brought autogroph books along and pretty stationary collections to write letters. Things like funky sunglasses , friendship bracelets etc were provided by the camp. But yes, there definitely were shticky things that are no longer shticky because new things took their place.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:06 pm
OP here.
To all of you who just don't get it.
I WAS THAT KID WHO HAD IT ALL WRONG!!!
I had button down blouses, all the others had tee shirts
I had flowery print skirts, they wore denim skirts
My shoes were wrong. My towels were wrong. I didn't have enough clothes. Everything was wrong.
I was the 12 year old nebach case, who was the pity of the bunk. It was a living night mare. I don't blame my mother, she had no idea...

There is no way in H--- that I will voluntarily do this to a kid of mine. Ever!!!

fmt4

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:10 pm
Why are you shopping for camp in January?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:11 pm
Double post

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:13 pm
fmt4 wrote:

I'm not.
I'm figuring out what I need so I can budget accordingly, and perhaps find things on sale.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:14 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.
To all of you who just don't get it.
I WAS THAT KID WHO HAD IT ALL WRONG!!!
I had button down blouses, all the others had tee shirts
I had flowery print skirts, they wore denim skirts
My shoes were wrong. My towels were wrong. I didn't have enough clothes. Everything was wrong.
I was the 12 year old nebach case, who was the pity of the bunk. It was a living night mare. I don't blame my mother, she had no idea...

There is no way in H--- that I will voluntarily do this to a kid of mine. Ever!!!

I know it's not funny but I laughed when I read this post. Maybe because I relate to it so much. I definitely had it all wrong my first year in camp becaus was my mother was clueless too. By my second year I was able to know myself what would be important ...and just like you mentioned , things like a denim Baby-O skirt , baggy MENS polo shirts that the short sleeves came out on our arms as 3/4 sleeves, I'm laughing just thinking about it. And I was the only one with old stained linen and towels with runs and holes in it. My mother insisted that all camp linen and towels look that way. Really?!! I was the only one with towels and linens that weren't perfect. So OP, yes, clue yourself in but remeber she doesn't have to be the queen of the bunk either... there is always a middle way.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:14 pm
fmt4 wrote:

Why not? I just bought my DD long sleeve tee shirts on sale for the summer. They will likely not have them at all - forget about the price - come June.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:15 pm
Assuming that she is accepted, ask for the numbers of girls her age who went last year as well as some staff.
In the last year those reversible sequins have been everywhere. I’d imagine they’d stay through the summer again.

Those in the camp will know best.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:17 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
but remeber she doesn't have to be the queen of the bunk either... there is always a middle way.

I'm very into this BTW. My kids don't have to be those kids who walk in and everyone is oggling them....nor do they have to be objects of pity. I aim for a neat, middle-of-the-road appearance.

I didn't send them to camp with old, stained linen either, nor towels with holes in them. Just basic, decent stuff. Nothing majorly designer, but decent quality, enough tees, enough skirts, etc...

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:19 pm
Iymnok wrote:
In the last year those reversible sequins have been everywhere. I’d imagine they’d stay through the summer again.

My 10 year old DD is CRAZY about switchies.....

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
So Babyblue, do most girls wear leggings and PJs or something else?

When I was at camp? The girls wore something that was referred to as "chocky's" named for the store they were purchased from.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:21 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My 10 year old DD is CRAZY about switchies.....

What is that?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children