Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Favorite dinner that you received after birth?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

simba

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:32 pm
The nicest gift I got from my parents was a full size freezer and a chef who came to my house and stocked the freezer with dinners of my choice ( what my family eats).

I can pull out meat lasagna or chicken and rice for a few weeks after the meal train suppers ended.

Of the delivered suppers the best ones are the ones that are packaged neatly, include fresh fruit and hiding cheese danish for mommy cause I’m not eating chicken!

crust

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:45 pm
Any coordinated meal ready to be served.

I receive scrumptious gourmet dinners every time for a few weeks but interestingly, the one meal that I will never forget is the one that was not so fancy and not so gourmet...

After one of my deliveries, I had not eaten for 36 hours. My sister in law had an appointment near the hospital so she quickly warmed up leftovers from her supper the night before.
I remember eating tomato salad out of an empty peanut butter container as if it was a Razzle or what. Years later, I still remember the huge chesed that she did.

It's not always about the what. Its the how and the when.

Last edited by crust on Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
In monsey there’s a Gemach that delivers brunch for the kimpeturin, nicest thing!

They actually have a program like that where I live too. But because of kashrus concerns, we don't feel comfortable eating from people we don't know and when my friend heard that's why I wasn't getting them, she ordered for me and it was amazing

rachel6543

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:50 pm
Homemade Mac & cheese! It was delicious!!!!

Beyla

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:58 pm
A traditional chicken soup... 😍 just after birth, it was amazing, I gave birth on Friday twice and each time I ate it when it came, not waiting for shabbos!

Last edited by Beyla on Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

yksraya

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 1:58 pm
Fresh simple foods. While I do like gourmet when I go out for dinner, in postpartum I like the homey simple dinners my Mil sent me every night for the first wk or 2. It was amazing.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 2:15 pm
Inn so curious: what’s an example of a ‘gourmet’ dinner?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:03 pm
Sushi platter! And fresh cut fruit.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:05 pm
After (I think?) my last baby, two friends brought me a pastrami burger at the hospital. BEST. MEAL. EVER.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:17 pm
Anything meaty and carby. Soup and salad will go to the nurse

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:23 pm
My friend's husband makes the best pizza ever. They sent me 6 pies, plus a batch of cookies! I gave my kids one pie, and then stuck the rest in the freezer and ate well for over a week!

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:25 pm
Omg one week of pizza?

ichbingreit

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:37 pm
I got such yummy grilled chicken salads with dressing on the side and all the hearty meatballs in sweet and spicy sauce and a heaven apple cranberry kigel.
literally wanna have another baby right now to get those 3 weeks of meals again....lol

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:53 pm
How does your community sustain six weeks of meals for every yoledet? How often are guy asked to cook?

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 3:57 pm
I didn't get anything (due to kashrus standards) but would have appreciated any healthy things like soup, salads, meatballs, rice, fish, stir fries. My husband can make pasta and cheese and pizza and heat up fries but it is definitely true that preparing veggies is mostly beyond him. To his credit he did make me the most wonderful lunch once which involved eggs and potatoes and tomatoes.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:00 pm
Raisin wrote:
I didn't get anything (due to kashrus standards) but would have appreciated any healthy things like soup, salads, meatballs, rice, fish, stir fries. My husband can make pasta and cheese and pizza and heat up fries but it is definitely true that preparing veggies is mostly beyond him. To his credit he did make me the most wonderful lunch once which involved eggs and potatoes and tomatoes.

Cooking is an art but cutting and peeling veggies is pretty easy, you can teach him.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:06 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
How does your community sustain six weeks of meals for every yoledet? How often are guy asked to cook?

We do three weeks usually. It's among a big circle of friends and I cook about once a month, sometimes one supper and a few shabbos dishes

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
Cooking is an art but cutting and peeling veggies is pretty easy, you can teach him.

He was dealing with a bunch of kids and toddlers and work commitments that did not totally stop. Preparing balanced and healthy suppers was a bit beyond the poor guy. And I preferred to rest, not give cooking lessons. I'm talking about 2 or 3 days after giving birth, not 2 weeks later. (by then you bet I was cooking myself)

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:09 pm
My babies are gassy, colic reflux so please no cabbage, broccolli, eggplant etc that make it worse for baby.
I'm also diabetic so all nice cakes, malted ice cream, blintzes, very nice but not very healthy for me. Makes me feel worse after eating.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:52 pm
ahuva06 wrote:
If you've received dinners after birth, is there one dinner or dish that stands out in your memory as extra delicious or appreciated?
Someone once sent over a kugel on Friday afternoon. It was a few years ago but that gesture still sticks out in my memory because I was so hungry and I thought it was just so thoughtful of that friend.

I was much happier with the food that was sent from restaurants than the homemade...some sent homemade lasagna etc, I didn’t know if it was Cholov Yisroel and didn’t want to insult anyone by asking....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics