Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Gift for Lubavich friend!
Previous  1  2  3

louche

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 8:34 pm
when in doubt, don't bring food or drink. bring s/t for the house or personal use.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 8:44 pm
GR wrote:
amother wrote:
GR wrote:
Are you sure you need to bring a gift? I haven't gotten birthday gifts from friends since my bas mitvzah probably.

Most people (well most people I know) feel funny showing up to a party empty-handed. Apparently in many frum circles, people go to parties and simchas without bringing anything and think nothing of it. Maybe because there are so many simchas, B"H, that people would go broke buying for every occasion. But I still can't past my upbringing that showing up empty-handed is rude... and I suspect I am not alone.

Personally, I make a bday party because I want to spend time with my friends. And if any of them would dare bring a gift I would probably hit them over the head with it. Okay, that's exaggerated, but you get the point.

GR - I agree with you 100%. (I am the amother from above). When I make a party or invite someone to my home I have no expectations that they should bring me anything. I invite because I want their company. Yet I have a hard time ever showing up with no gift. I can't help it. If we go to someone for a meal, we always bring wine and/or flowers. If I go to a party - I make sure to have a gift. My mother taught me that to not do so is rude. My husband is still trying to convince me otherwise - but I just can't help it.

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 8:48 pm
I understand that.
Truth is, I don't get out that much so I don't find myself giving that many gifts, except for bar mitzvahs and those types of things.

penina

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 10:08 pm
I agree about wine. It's pretty much only thing most Jews can agree on. Make sure it's mevushal, as many Lubavitchers have people over alot and use strictly mevushal wine, and with a good hashgocha and you're fine. To spiff it up, get her something a few notches better than what she would probably by herself. If I'm buying wine as a hostess gift (which I do often) I usually spend $20 on it, if I'm buying for myself I'll usually only speand $10ish.

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:48 am
Raisin wrote:
Cy chocolate is either from israel (bdatz) or schmerling or other swiss brands. (I'm not sure what the hechsher on schmerling is, but I beleive the Rebbe would eat it.)

The hechsher on Schmerling chocolate is IRG (Khal Adas Yeshurun of Zurich), which happens to be an excellent hechsher - one of the best in Europe - but maybe the Rebbe ate it because the Schmerlings themselves are Lubavitchers.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 10:52 am
so Ruchel, what did you decide on? you sound like such a thoughtful friend! I also can't stop myself from buying little gifts and surprises. I love to get things that I see for friends that I just know they'd love...problem is I have to force myself not to cause we're on a tight budget lol.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 11:02 am
One of the cutest gifts I ever got was a pair of oven mitts with a lighthouse design. I never forget who gave it, because her name has to do with light Tongue Out . and the scarf idea is nice, there are very pretty crushed velvet ones.

Or a new Artscroll book....or other newly published Judaica English or perhaps French language sefer. Now is the Hei Teves booksale. You can order something online?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 13 2007, 8:27 pm
I bought a set of lotions and stuff from Yves Rocher, I hope she'll like.
Wine was a good idea, but I only saw it now and the choice from kosher wines around here is tiny and I doubt they're great...

nechamashifra

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 12:10 pm
Quote:
Wine was a good idea, but I only saw it now and the choice from kosher wines around here is tiny and I doubt they're great...

Where in France do you live? I'm Lubavitch and French and you seem to be describing a different France than the one I know.....

RedRuby

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:54 pm
Choc moose:
Quote:
What chabadnicks wear turbans?

I'm sure some do... that's a funny generalization, no?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 8:30 pm
The only women I know who wear turbans shave their heads. Otherwise, hair shows at the side and at the back.

MahPitom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:05 pm
How about a leather photo album

tzipp

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 9:55 pm
I actually like the idea of flowers, who doesn't like flowers? Smile

Pickle Lady

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 10:05 pm
RedRuby wrote:
Choc moose:
Quote:
What chabadnicks wear turbans?

I'm sure some do... that's a funny generalization, no?

I don't have one lubavitch friend that wears a turban. Its not that funny of a generalization.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:48 am
nechamashifra wrote:
Quote:

Where in France do you live? I'm Lubavitch and French and you seem to be describing a different France than the one I know.....

By here I meant HERE, my 20 000 inhabitants town. Not France. For sure in Paris there is a good choice, I saw it even without being interested in wine ! but with the holidays the traffic jam is nasty and I'm not driving there.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 3:08 pm
reporting finally, she liked my gift Smile

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 3:09 pm
yay !!!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics