Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Things that made this pesach easier or more enjoyable
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Dina2018

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:08 pm
creditcards wrote:
Does it also work with peeling apples? Did you try it with any other vegetable besides for potatoes?

it says on it that it does. I tried it with a carrot and zuccini, it didn‘t work. It worked with an apple but not as nicely as with a potato. It is also a spiralyzer, it makes very nice and long spirales out of potatoes.

momsrus

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in a one bedroom with part of the living room walled off for a kids room. I have extremely limited closet space. For pesach I have 8 smallish boxes on wall on one side of a closet. It only works because the boxes are all one size and sit flush against the wall. (Although I lose about 1/3 of the closet.) I can't fit in anything else unless it's very small (like a utensil or two).

So what I’m saying it. The sink would not be dead space because you can fill the sink with pesach stuff.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:11 pm
1091 wrote:
Me too. And these cooktop liners on amazon to cover so I didn’t need to use foil.

what‘s a cooktop liner?

aricelli

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:12 pm
So- believe it or not- my way of making pesach easier was going on an overnight chol hamoed trip. We did this succos for the first time and I realized that its easier to work a bit harder before and then be away on chal hamoed. No standing over stoves and serving, no hearing “what are we gonna do today” . Somehow its more relaxing for me to wake up and be near my destination.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:18 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
What's the name of the clothing rental service? Thanks!

Rent the Runway. I did the Update track which is 4 items for one month.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:33 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Which potatoe peeler?
Can you post a link?

I bought it on european amazon, closest that I can find on american amazon is called „starfrit rotato express“

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:44 pm
Dina2018 wrote:
I bought it on european amazon, closest that I can find on american amazon is called „starfrit rotato express“

Can you post the European link so we can compare? Thanks!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 1:11 pm
1. Paid for extra help. It was expensive but worth every penny. I work really hard to make Pesach and especially the seders. It was really nice to be able to sit with my family and guests and enjoy the seder while somebody else took care of all the washing and mess.

2. Cooked almost everything in disposable tins. We are health conscious and NEVER do I use aluminum pans but I made an exception for the week of Pesach and life was better for it.

3. House guests. Yes, it's a little more work and expense to host people in your home, particularly for Pesach. But this kept my children both occupied and happy and that is frankly priceless to me.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 1:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can you post the European link so we can compare? Thanks!

do you mind telling me how to post a link? sorry about it 🙈

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 1:48 pm
Dina2018 wrote:
do you mind telling me how to post a link? sorry about it 🙈

Click on the website link on the top of the page, select the whole line of the website so it's highlighted. Then some options will pop up. Click copy. Then go back to this thread and right click and select paste in your message area when posting.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 1:55 pm
www.amazon.de
and then:
MagiDeal Automatische Obst- und Gemüseschäler

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 1:56 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
1. Paid for extra help. It was expensive but worth every penny. I work really hard to make Pesach and especially the seders. It was really nice to be able to sit with my family and guests and enjoy the seder while somebody else took care of all the washing and mess.

2. Cooked almost everything in disposable tins. We are health conscious and NEVER do I use aluminum pans but I made an exception for the week of Pesach and life was better for it.

3. House guests. Yes, it's a little more work and expense to host people in your home, particularly for Pesach. But this kept my children both occupied and happy and that is frankly priceless to me.

I always line my foil pans with parchment paper so I think it doesn't absorb the aluminum.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 2:22 pm
momsrus wrote:
So what I’m saying it. The sink would not be dead space because you can fill the sink with pesach stuff.

So what I am saying is that this only works because I have 8 identical-sized boxes that in essence form a new wall, about a foot further out than the real wall. I can't have something that doesn't fit in with that as I then lose use of part of one of my only two closets. Thank you.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 2:29 pm
I tried the starfrit potato peeler one year. I didn't like it so much, there is a learning curve and it takes a while for each potato - so it's different, not necessarily easier or faster, than peeling by hand. On the plus side, the kids like to use it!

I was happier buying jumbo-sized russet potatoes - it takes about as long to peel, but is as big as 2 or 3 regular sized potatoes. So I go through 10lb in under 10 minutes.

Walmart by me sells jumbo baking potatoes in 8-lb bags, they are generally uniform in shape and very easy to peel. I set up a peeling station with a chair in the kitchen and a clear plastic tablecloth on the floor and go to town!

I rinse each potato after peeling before it can go on my regular counter, so I designated a plastic tub for the peeled unwashed produce so I can assembly-line the process.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 2:45 pm
Bought a lot of new board games and loaded up on books from the library.
Like 2 suitcases full- no I'm not exaggerating.
Kids had things to do when friends couldn't come over and the weather was bad.

Also had my cleaning lady come on shabbos to wash it all before we needed to pack away the dishes.

Anon bec I told ppl irl.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 5:40 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I have a dishwasher with a stainless steel interior and replacement racks for Pesach. We're in Israel, so I have a tzomet timer on the dishwasher too. After the Seder (real dishes, cloth napkins, the works) we just load the dishwasher and go to sleep.

Is that dishwasher used only for Pesach? If not I hope u asked a competent rov, I learned u can never ever use a chometsdig dishwasher for pesach under any circumstance

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 5:53 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Is that dishwasher used only for Pesach? If not I hope u asked a competent rov, I learned u can never ever use a chometsdig dishwasher for pesach under any circumstance

I learned you can, but it's very complicated. Not only need new racks, but also to replace the water tubes. But as you know different people hold differently. I would imagine she asked.

tweek

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Learned a new way to make French fries - https://smittenkitchen.com/201.....ries/

This looks interesting, as I make a lot of french fries for a crowd.

Can you please explain how it works? Can I just fill up a pot with cut potatoes, cover it with oil, and cook?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 7:01 pm
pause wrote:
Fancy disposable dishes - I love not washing dishes, but I like nice things for YT so I spend money for the fancy ones.

This. My one luxury - but worth every penny!!! Skip the new clothing and jewelry - Not having to spend Pesach washing dishes makes my yom tov.

We also bought some new board games for the grandchildren to play with - which made them so much easier to entertain.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 7:56 pm
Had potato kugel as a side for almost every meal instead of trying new potato or vegetable concoctions that nobody eats.

I put an extra folding table against the wall in my dining room and cover it with foil to hold all the boxes of matza and hagadas and extras because I couldn't stand the mess other years.

I put a tray with cups, sugar, coffee, tea etc. on the counter as a hot drink center next to the urn so guests don't have to paw through my cabinets to make themselves a drink.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics