Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Totally clean movies my kids can watch
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:57 pm
chipmunks wrote:
My kids are b'H extremely sheltered but have seen a few things. They were so terrified by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that at least two of them (one of them I think 8 or 9 at the time) came to me separately and asked me to please tell the relative who was showing it to them that it was not okay for them. They said it was too scary while watching and this person naively laughed it off. So I guess it also depends on what they're used to.

I was NOT sheltered and I got traumatized when we were shown it during a rainy recess at school in 1st grade. I cried for days.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:58 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I was NOT sheltered and I got traumatized when we were shown it during a rainy recess at school in 1st grade. I cried for days.

Same exact story except with "The NeverEnding Story" Crying

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:02 pm
My 9.5 year old daughter was traumatized by watching Little Princess from the war scene and fighter planes zooming around and bodies lying on the floor. Honestly, I hadn't even noticed. She was begging to watch it for ages since they read a shortened version of the book in school. A number of her friends watched it. We have been struggling with nighttime fears for two months and its just starting to ease up now.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:13 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Same exact story except with "The NeverEnding Story" Crying

Love that movie - but I'm still scared of that wolf (those eyes!!!).

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:16 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Love that movie - but I'm still scared of that wolf (those eyes!!!).

I rewatched it again as an adult and loved it.... but I couldn't BELIEVE how dark and abstract the subject matter is... there were some seriously whack "children's" movies in the 80s and 90s Confused

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:18 pm
Kids who haven't been exposed to anything and are extremely sheltered may be traumatized by stuff like that, I agree.
I do think OP is being unrealistic, you cant have it both ways.I mean, expect your kids to stay completely sheltered and never even see a scene where, say, a Male character shakes the hand of a female character. So if she wants her kids to stay sheltered to that extent, there probably won't be anything that meets her criteria and she better just not show her kids *any* movies.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:23 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I rewatched it again as an adult and loved it.... but I couldn't BELIEVE how dark and abstract the subject matter is... there were some seriously whack "children's" movies in the 80s and 90s Confused

follows a healthy tradition of dark themed german children's stories - from way before then!

asmileaday

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:49 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Kids who haven't been exposed to anything and are extremely sheltered may be traumatized by stuff like that, I agree.
I do think OP is being unrealistic, you cant have it both ways.I mean, expect your kids to stay completely sheltered and never even see a scene where, say, a Male character shakes the hand of a female character. So if she wants her kids to stay sheltered to that extent, there probably won't be anything that meets her criteria and she better just not show her kids *any* movies.

This.
I don't think any movie is truly free of romance stuff.
My kids watch the magic school bus. For the most part it's harmless but there are for sure girlfriend boyfriend innuendos. I don't think my kids pick up on it (not that I care).
I watched Frozen with them. Omg the romance is insane. Why does a kids movie need to be like that? I don't mind that my kids are exposed to romance but why so many heavy adult topics?
Another show I let my kids watch is Odd Squad. But then again, you will have lots of girl/ boy relationship innuendos.
I struggle to find movies or shows that are relatively clean and I'm ok with mild romance.

Another annoying thing is that many of the newer shows and movies are bringing in gay/ lesbian concepts and I find it disturbing.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:50 pm
Home alone has a few problematic images
We cut

chipmunks

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:56 pm
DrMom wrote:
The Johnny Depp version was creepy. I can't blame your kids!

The 1971 Gene Wilder film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is a much better film (although it features girls singing so that might not work for you).

Oh, wow, I didn't even realize they weren't watching the same thing I saw as a kid! I assumed it was Willy Wonka and gently explained to the relative that I could see why they might have been scared by some of it! I wondered why they (relative plus kids) kept calling it by another name.

Okay, so I guess the lesson here is also make sure you know exactly what your kids are watching, even if you think it's safe. Oops.

ETA: and also to trust your instincts, because I was actually uncomfortable even with letting them see Willy Wonka but didn't want to show disrespect to our relative (someone I owe lots of kavod). Better safe than sorry.

monseymom25

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:09 pm
I read somewhere that PL Travers insisted that there be no romance whatsoever between Bert and Mary Poppins before she sold Walt Disney the rights to make the movie. But holding hands/arms or hugs isn't romance... you won't be able to get away from that. I think it's a wonderful movie.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:14 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
I read somewhere that PL Travers insisted that there be no romance whatsoever between Bert and Mary Poppins before she sold Walt Disney the rights to make the movie. But holding hands/arms or hugs isn't romance... you won't be able to get away from that. I think it's a wonderful movie.

Also Mary Poppins has as a backdrop the women's lib movement. Kosher?

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:16 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

What's wrong with history?

monseymom25

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:16 pm
Womens right to vote is controversial?

chipmunks

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:20 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

We did let our kids see Mary Poppins and they loved it. I thought the minimal touching with Bert and Mary might bother them, but I don't know if they got that they weren't family. (They asked what a nanny was at the beginning and when my husband explained they said, oh, she's their mama! *lol*). So I think they just figured anyone who was touching was related, too.
What bothered me was that the mother's song calls men stupid. Like, flat-out says it. I mentioned this to my husband before we let them see it and he thought it was no big deal, but yeah, that bothered me. Women's lib in general, I don't think it gets too far into. It's just comic because the father comes home and she does a complete about-face, so I doubt that message went anywhere with the kids.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:24 pm
Honestly kids don't pay attention to the lyrics in a movie song. Unless its something silly and catchy like supercalifragilist--
As adults I think sometimes we overthink things trying to see it from a kid's POV. When it mostly goes over their head.
I loved the musical Oliver as a kid/young teen I don't think I realized Nancy's true profession till I rewatched it in high school.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:25 pm
chipmunks wrote:
We did let our kids see Mary Poppins and they loved it. I thought the minimal touching with Bert and Mary might bother them, but I don't know if they got that they weren't family. (They asked what a nanny was at the beginning and when my husband explained they said, oh, she's their mama! *lol*). So I think they just figured anyone who was touching was related, too.
What bothered me was that the mother's song calls men stupid. Like, flat-out says it. I mentioned this to my husband before we let them see it and he thought it was no big deal, but yeah, that bothered me. Women's lib in general, I don't think it gets too far into. It's just comic because the father comes home and she does a complete about-face, so I doubt that message went anywhere with the kids.

Do you mean the line

"Though we adore men individually we agree that as a group they're rather stupid"

As a kid that not only went over my head ..I didn't even properly hear that lyric till I was older... In fact, she so very much over enunciate the word stupid it didn't sound like stupid.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:01 pm
DrMom wrote:
The Johnny Depp version was creepy. I can't blame your kids!

The 1971 Gene Wilder film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is a much better film (although it features girls singing so that might not work for you).

The Gene Wilder film has the scary tunnel ride with the slaughtered chicken.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:03 pm
monseymom25 wrote:
Womens right to vote is controversial?

Feminism is.

Esther16

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:21 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
No hugging in Mary Poppins! Though I think Bert offers his arm to Mary while they walk over a bridge.
Maybe op should stick to Shirley Temple movies.

Actually, Shirley temple movies all have two adult side characters in some sort of romantic relationship that somehow ties into her main story line. I've seen almost all of them
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics