Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Between you,me,and the lamppost
  Previous  1  2  3  14  15  16

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 4:51 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
My high school taught a censored version of evolution and told us to ask our own shaila about learning it on our own. They also skipped out some of the male parts of the reproductive system.

B'H they did not blank out those questions on the Regents. I find that unconscionable, personally.

It's better than not teaching science at all

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 5:29 pm
barbara1 wrote:
Exactly I have heard many chasidesh boys that were very upset that didnt receive a proper education to prepare them for college it's their rights as a child to receive a proper secular education and nothing has changed in the chasidesh community in the past 35 years to rectify this problem.

By chassidishe the principal is not to continue on to college so they won't do anything to further it just make sure to hinder it.

I went to a hi school where we had licensed teachers and were taught all material needed to know for the regents, but they purposely didn't give us regent exams, because they didn't want us to go on to college. In fact, some girls of my class, were being proactive & started studying in prep to get a degree, on their own time, but when school found out they stopped them. They wanted to start in 10 th grade, that way when they finish school they can further their education, but no! Out of the whole group, actually only one got a degree later on, when she was married with children & had no time to study..but she was an OT.

We went thru 12 grades of school but our diploma was not worth more than toilet paper.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 5:34 pm
dankbar wrote:
By chassidishe the principal is not to continue on to college so they won't do anything to further it just make sure to hinder it.

I went to a hi school where we had licensed teachers and were taught all material needed to know for the regents, but they purposely didn't give us regent exams, because they didn't want us to go on to college. In fact, some girls of my class, were being proactive & started studying in prep to get a degree, on their own time, but when school found out they stopped them. They wanted to start in 10 th grade, that way when they finish school they can further their education, but no! Out of the whole group, actually only one got a degree later on, when she was married with children & had no time to study..but she was an OT.

We went thru 12 grades of school but our diploma was not worth more than toilet paper.

Did we go to the same school? We were not taught higher math for this reason. So we wouldn't go to college.

We didn't get a Regents diploma, so not sure what my diploma was worth.

dankbar

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 5:39 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Did we go to the same school? We were not taught higher math for this reason. So we wouldn't go to college.

We didn't get a Regents diploma, so not sure what my diploma was worth.

many chassidish schools did that, so doesn't have to be the same one

amother
Green

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 5:53 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

B'H they did not blank out those questions on the Regents. I find that unconscionable, personally.

Isn't that highly illegal?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 8:43 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Isn't that highly illegal?

Ask YOB and Bais Yaakov High School.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 8:44 pm
dankbar wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

I said that before on this thread (I believe). I'm astonished that schools would go to such great lengths to prevent their students from pursuing independent futures.

It's one thing to discourage girls from going to college. It's a whole different story to actively sabotage it!!

soap suds

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:31 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Demanding that schools accommodate your choice is deciding for someone else. The secular education is given at the end of the day, so have your boys come home right before the secular studies begin.

But isn't that exactly what you're advocating for? All schools should change because you want a better education than what's offered right now?

It's not like I'm enrolling my son in Torah V'daas and asking them to cut back on their curriculum to accommodate me.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:34 pm
They would not just let whoever wants to skip out early do so

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:38 pm
soap suds wrote:
But isn't that exactly what you're advocating for? All schools should change because you want a better education than what's offered right now?

It's not like I'm enrolling my son in Torah V'daas and asking them to cut back on their curriculum to accommodate me.

No, our parents got decent educations or at least a much better version of what is offered today. This current setup is something fairly new and it's due to demands of parents demanding accommodations for their choices. Instead of pulling their kids out of the secular classes, they pressured the schools. It's much more difficult explaining to your kids why you consider secular education to be harmful when many of their peers are receiving it. It is so much easier to explain it to your kids when everyone around them is in the same boat. So thats why we are where we are today.

The same thing goes on with many other issues. A couple of parents feel there's something wrong with a new style or an event, so they'll start up a campaign to get the schools/shuls/ community to ban it. This way they don't need to parent.

It's time to put a stop to this. No one is denying you your choices, but don't deny other people their choices. You don't want your boys to have a secular education, don't give it to them. But why shouldn't any other person have the choice to choose a secular education for their sons? You shouldn't be getting your choice by eliminating other people's choices.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:40 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
They would not just let whoever wants to skip out early do so

They did in my days. And they even allowed it in the girl's school. There were a two students in my grade who left school after the morning hours session. They came from the extreme Chassidish Rebbish families and their parents were against any secular education even for the girls.
Page 16 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  14  15  16 Recent Topics