Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Peloton controversy
Previous  1  2

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 12:42 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Or.....

Maybe you happen to know that your spouse loves working out so you got them something that would make them happy. Scratching Head

I would think she would know that about her spouse.

zohar

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 1:31 pm
nylon wrote:
Most people I know weren't offended, they just thought it was terrible and mock-worthy. I did. First the actress looks terrified instead of excited. Two, it trumpets the Peleton as this amazing life changing journey when she hasn't changed a bit (hence the sarcastic tweets about a woman's life changing journey from 106 to 102 lbs). I guess the message is inner change? That's hard to show in an ad.

It's not clear that she even wanted the bike and it reads as if it was a complete surprise. Someone on twitter broke down the ad and the perspectives it's filmed by and said the way it's done is why it turns a lot of people off.

I personally hate all the Peleton commercials, especially the one that says "At $59 a month it's for anyone who wants it" (note that this only includes the bike, not the cost of the classes).

Is it offensive in the sense of being racist or sexist? No. Should Peleton maybe have watched the result again before airing it? Quite possibly yes. (We saw the ad before it blew up on Twitter, and my husband instantly said "that is terrible and creepy.")

I agree with this. I didn't find it offensive, just a really bad embarrassing ad. How did it get approved?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:01 pm
Peloton ads are weird because it's a weird product. How are they supposed to advertise an overpriced bike that is intended to be used with their membership for an additional monthly fee?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Peloton ads are weird because it's a weird product. How are they supposed to advertise an overpriced bike that is intended to be used with their membership for an additional monthly fee?

Its not a weird product.

Peloton allows consumers to have the experience of a class without leaving their homes. They can compete with others, virtually. Its a great selling point, and I know plenty of people who love it for those reasons.

The commercial, OTOH, is awful. The whole idea is that she doesn't really even want to go on the bike, but forces herself to, in order to get that great transformation, that she films each day for her husband to see. Because he's sleeping and acting like a sloth instead of sharing the bike. And, of course, there is no real transformation.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Its not a weird product.

Peloton allows consumers to have the experience of a class without leaving their homes. They can compete with others, virtually. Its a great selling point, and I know plenty of people who love it for those reasons.

The commercial, OTOH, is awful. The whole idea is that she doesn't really even want to go on the bike, but forces herself to, in order to get that great transformation, that she films each day for her husband to see. Because he's sleeping and acting like a sloth instead of sharing the bike. And, of course, there is no real transformation.

Transformation does not have to be physical, it can be that her energy level is higher and she is just happier in general because exercise released endorphins and changes a person. So not everything is about weight and this "controversy" is ridiculous. Its really about people projecting their own insecurities about themselves and their bodies than what the ad is about.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Transformation does not have to be physical, it can be that her energy level is higher and she is just happier in general because exercise released endorphins and changes a person.

Even if it's physical, it doesn't have to be visible. Maybe she has better lung capacity and stronger legs.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:31 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Transformation does not have to be physical, it can be that her energy level is higher and she is just happier in general because exercise released endorphins and changes a person. So not everything is about weight and this "controversy" is ridiculous. Its really about people projecting their own insecurities about themselves and their bodies than what the ad is about.

The video that she shows him could never hope to show an increase in energy level or endorphins. That's why the commercial makes no sense. The "transformation" is allegedly shown on the video. Must be physical.

fmt4

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:35 pm
It’s a terrible, cringeworthy commercial. Not offensive, just bad.

sky

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 2:35 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Its not a weird product.

I think the fact she wasn’t overweight and became skinny what makes this a non issue.

I would love if I would get something like this. I could use the activity regardless of weight loss.

Bleemee

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 9:14 pm
nylon wrote:

It's not clear that she even wanted the bike and it reads as if it was a complete surprise. Someone on twitter broke down the ad and the perspectives it's filmed by and said the way it's done is why it turns a lot of people off.
Interesting. Do you have a link for that?

OutATowner

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:09 pm
Did anyone see the ad for the gin that used the same actress? However you feel about the commercial (not strong feelings here), it's quite funny.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:25 pm
I saw it a bunch of tiems before it blew up, and never thought anything of it. Just another dumb commercial, and certainly not the worst! I don't get why it's such a big deal compared to all the others.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 10:48 pm
I think people are way overreacting. I watched it, and it is dumb because instead of having her just do exercise for energy, it does seem eerily like a weightloss journey.

But it is an exercise bike. No matter how they advertise it people will be upset. I honestly can't think of an ad people wouldn't be outraged by. And aren't there real problems out there? People are bored.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:16 pm
I LOVE my peloton.

Just putting it out there.

And it’s $39/month including unlimited use and classes. And they have insanely good classes Smile

Cheaper than the spin classes at the gym I used to go to, since I use it almost daily.

I didn’t find the ad offensive, truthfully my DH bought me a peloton and I’m fit.

nylon

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:39 pm
Perspective thread:

https://twitter.com/amyhoy/sta.....35040

The classes are $39/mo *after* you buy the bike though. The "only $59 a month" commercial annoys me because it omits that. And if you're not buying the classes I don't see why you'd get a Peleton specifically.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 09 2019, 11:57 pm
nylon wrote:
Perspective thread:

https://twitter.com/amyhoy/sta.....35040

The classes are $39/mo *after* you buy the bike though. The "only $59 a month" commercial annoys me because it omits that. And if you're not buying the classes I don't see why you'd get a Peleton specifically.

No monthly fee for the first year after you buy the bike. Essentially it’s the same price as any good quality exercise equipment. And it is a much better quality bike than any I’ve tried in multiple gyms.

Not saying you should buy one, but it’s not just hype, it’s a good product for those that want it.

DVOM

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:20 am
Fox wrote:
People no longer take offense; they hunt it down and wrestle it to the ground, as if offense were something valuable and rare.

Fox, you make me laugh!

It does feel like we are in the age of celebrated victimhood.

To quote the excellent Austen: "a girl likes to be crossed... a little now and then. It is something to think of, and gives her a sort of distinction amongst her companions."

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 11:24 am
People want to take offense because society doesn't value non-victims.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:16 pm
I think it’s ridiculous how worked up people got in response to the ad. I adore my peloton!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 12:18 pm
I know in the short run this negatively affected them, but I wonder if in the long run, people will buy the Peloton "ironically", or will purchase one after becoming aware of it due to the backlash to the ad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics