Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Dd getting married. How many sheitels to buy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:17 am
3??? There is absolutely zero need

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:02 am
I would get one shaitel and one headband fall.
She will only really know what style she likes and what is comfortable on her head after covering for a while. She can either save up for a shaitel or if you want to help her out , she can plan to get a new shaitel a year or 2 into marriage when she really knows what she wants.

meme6

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:05 am
One is not manageable you can’t give it into wash easily and if you have Simchas it’s usually not as nice.
One weekday
One Shabbos
This is the normal if you can afford a third one put money aside and let her buy it a few months after her wedding when she knows more about what she wants and likes.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:25 am
Buy what you can afford and not more.

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:06 am
meme6 wrote:
One is not manageable you can’t give it into wash easily and if you have Simchas it’s usually not as nice.
One weekday
One Shabbos
This is the normal if you can afford a third one put money aside and let her buy it a few months after her wedding when she knows more about what she wants and likes.

I managed with one for a full year and was grateful for the gift of a second but did not think it was necessary at all. It was a very nice extra thing to have and I was very grateful. Had I not received it I would not have felt it was a problem.

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:06 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Buy what you can afford and not more.

This. Buy what you can, don't spend more than you can afford.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:08 am
maybe you should specify what community you are from. for all of you who are saying one sheital what do you wear when that is being washed? someone who wears only a wig when they go out needs at least 2 because what will you wear when the other is being washed and if you can afford it get 4 2 for everyday one for shabbos and one elegant.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:11 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
maybe you should specify what community you are from. for all of you who are saying one sheital what do you wear when that is being washed? someone who wears only a wig when they go out needs at least 2 because what will you wear when the other is being washed and if you can afford it get 4 2 for everyday one for shabbos and one elegant.

Four??

meme6

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:12 am
banana123 wrote:
I managed with one for a full year and was grateful for the gift of a second but did not think it was necessary at all. It was a very nice extra thing to have and I was very grateful. Had I not received it I would not have felt it was a problem.

I also managed with one for two years I felt stifled I went to a simcha not feeling like I look my best since the same sheitel was just worn to work and couldn’t be dressy since it was an everyday wear.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:13 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

When being washed (every few months) I drop off on a Sunday morning and pick up in late afternoon when ready. I wear a hat.

gamanit

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:16 am
I got three when I got married, all inexpensive ones (the most expensive was still under $600)

1) Shabbos Sheitel
2) Weekday Sheitel
3) Pony Sheitel

I think a lot of this has to do with which community you're in and what your needs are. What are her friends getting?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:51 am
Interesting how times have changed. When I was getting married 20 years ago the advice was to buy 1 and if you could afford it it was nice to have a second sheitel to use only for shabbos.
3 sheitels at the same time was unheard of.

gamanit

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:58 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Interesting how times have changed. When I was getting married 20 years ago the advice was to buy 1 and if you could afford it it was nice to have a second sheitel to use only for shabbos.
3 sheitels at the same time was unheard of.

I don't think it's the times that have changed; it's just that you're hearing from other communities. My mother definitely had more than one sheitel when she got married.

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:59 am
meme6 wrote:
I also managed with one for two years I felt stifled I went to a simcha not feeling like I look my best since the same sheitel was just worn to work and couldn’t be dressy since it was an everyday wear.

Yeah it's kind of annoying but for a couple evenings a year to have a whole new sheitel, if money is a bit tight then it's not worth it. And you can always get it done nicely just before the simcha.

meme6

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:01 am
banana123 wrote:
Yeah it's kind of annoying but for a couple evenings a year to have a whole new sheitel, if money is a bit tight then it's not worth it. And you can always get it done nicely just before the simcha.

Every time you have a sheitel done it costs money. A girl getting married usually has many weddings it’s the age. It’s not just a few nights it’s every Shabbos.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:03 am
[quote="meme6"]Every time you have a sheitel done it costs money. A girl getting married usually has many weddings it’s the age. It’s not just a few nights it’s every Shabbos.[/

You don’t need to get Shaitel ‘done’ for every simcha or wedding!!!!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:12 am
I'd get one and give her the money to buy a second after she's been wearing a shaitel for a few months and knows what she wants.

Chloe22

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:47 am
If she works or goes to school, it's good to get another sheitel just in case she gets caught in the rain or has to get one washed.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 12:13 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I never thought about it and certainly never noticed any smell (though I don’t go into takeout stores)

What do you wear when you give it in to wash?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 12:14 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
What do you wear when you give it in to wash?

It’s only for a few hours. I wear a hat or a snood.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics