Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cooking for after birth
1  2  Next

baby's mom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 4:13 pm
I plan on baking a few things for a friend who is going to have a baby any day. I'm thinking of making some kugels, cakes, cookies...Anyone know what kugels freeze well? any ideas, suggestions are welcome!

mompete

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 6:52 pm
vegetable kugels freeze well, so do apple. Not too many potato kugels survive but you can freeze them raw and bake them afterwards!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 9:57 pm
I never had trouble iwth potato kugel freezing. I also made and froze lukshen and butternut squash kugel.
PS if you make meals for her, you may want to stay clear of chicken, as from experience many others will probably make it!!

Tovah

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 10:23 am
zucchini kugels

queen

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 12:45 pm
cheese or meat lasagnas freeze great.

I made three meat-lasagna's (9X13) for after birth already.......

I'm trying each week to make one thing for the freezer.
this week will be chicken soup (and maybe challah)

baby's mom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 2:03 pm
wow, queen youre really organized! Wink

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 2:10 pm
something quick and easy to freeze is borekas.

baby's mom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 4:48 pm
I've never made burekas, do you have a recipe to share?

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 5:00 pm
you can buy some frozen puff pastry dough, they come in squares or sheets. roll it out cut into square and put a spoon full of just about anything from potato (instant mashed potatos with onions, or boil some potatos and mash with and add sautted onions), cheese or even apple. fold into boarekas and freeze raw. When you take them out brush with egg and put seseme seeds on it and bake

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 5:17 pm
you dont even have to cut the dough out. you can buy it in precut sheets either mini or large ones. it's very fast and easy. I actually froze them after I baked them and they were fine.

supermom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 3:59 am
great idea queen. but I think it is a little bit to late for me. I will start and see how much I will be able to freeze. yesterday I made a big pot of minostrome soup I took half of it out and froze it hopefully it will still taste good.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 1:16 am
when making challah to freeze, I shape the challah and then freeze. when I need them, I take them out of the freezer, defrost, rise, and bake them- this way, we have fresh baked challah rather than frozen. (it also takes up less room in the freezer this way.

queen

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 9:21 am
when ever you make anything (that is more work, than an easy supper... and will freeze well) make double.

Was cooking for shabbos last night..... and had my husband peel FIVE POUNDS OF CARROTS!!!! This way I have a carrot kugel for shabbos, plus two in freezer for after birth.

elisecohen

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 9:55 am
Chili freezes well, as does basic stew. Likewise you can assemble everything for a crockpot meal in a bag and freeze it, then just defrost in fridge or microwave and stick it all in the crockpot the day you need a dinner. You can make barbecue sandwiches, goulash, and chickpeas easily this way. If you eat hot dogs, that's something very easy to prepare that can just sit in the fridge or freezer til you need it.

smile

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 11:04 am
I always freeze soup which is a huge help.

RedVines

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 12:23 pm
Queen: How big is your freezer? You are amazing! I am goingto try to start freezing, I havent ever done it before, yep I prepare and we eat, it is starting to get harder... How do you wrap all the food...tinfoil, once or twice? containers?

queen

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 4:48 pm
LOL, right now my freezer is standard size, ontop of fridge!

I always thought I'd buy a 20 cubic freezer b4 baby was born, but in the house we just bought, the woman is leaving us a freezer in basement... so no use in buying new freezer now... (we're only moving in AFTER baby, so I don't have use from it just yet)

However.... I have two good friends with extra freezers, who are lending me a shelf until baby is born.

lucky

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 10:49 pm
queen wrote:

However.... I have two good friends with extra freezers, who are lending me a shelf until baby is born.

Nothing better than good friends!! LOL especially when they have big freezers. Wink

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 2:48 am
wow now I think about it you will be freezing a lot of meals since you are not due for at least another month or so. you will have at least meals cooked for a whole month kol hakavod to you.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Sep 11 2005, 10:43 am
shanie5 wrote:
when making challah to freeze, I shape the challah and then freeze. when I need them, I take them out of the freezer, defrost, rise, and bake them- this way, we have fresh baked challah rather than frozen. (it also takes up less room in the freezer this way.

I do this all the time and noone knows that it was frozen dough. I used to hate the taste of frozen baked challah. Which is why I never would freeze challah then I tried freezing the dough already braided. Its so easy. I just put them on the pan frozen, let them thaw, and bake. How easy is that. And yes it takes up so little room in the freezer cause its not baked yet.

chili does freeze well. I have used it over macroni noodles and over hot dogs. tomato meat sauce freezes well. I have also froze meat balls.

I am not big on freezing stuff cause I have a tendency to never use and then throw it away before pesach. But I am learning to use my freezer and eat what I freeze.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen