Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Want to get an anklet but concerned about getting "labeled"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:45 am
Does this figurative "label" say something? Is its name not to be spoken? Or is it enough to say "labeled", no further explanation needed, just like there was a thread last week about a neighborhood where there have been "stories" (or maybe just one).

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 11:59 am
imasoftov wrote:
Does this figurative "label" say something? Is its name not to be spoken? Or is it enough to say "labeled", no further explanation needed, just like there was a thread last week about a neighborhood where there have been "stories" (or maybe just one).
you intrigue me in a good way.
Yes, a label just automatically puts you in a certain social catagory.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:12 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
you intrigue me in a good way.
Yes, a label just automatically puts you in a certain social catagory.

Can that category be named?

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 12:37 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Can that category be named?
it totally depends where you are coming from. If you come from chassidishe circles, for example, if you one day decide to wear an ankle bracelet on top of your hose, or with no hose at all, you get labeled as modern. This then translates into not being able to get your kids into chassidishe schools. Your neighbors may all of a sudden stop having their kids play with yours, or not allowing the kids into your house. This is just for examples sake.
If you were an out oft owner living oot you may get yourself a different label if no one in your town wears it. There are some things like long flowing flowery dresses and skirts that label you bohemian. It's the style that you wear. I think it boils down to what type of community you come from and if you fall into certain parameters that keep you in the realm of 'normal' as opposed to getting labeled. I'm not leaning towards anything, I'm just hoping to explain it and I have no clue if I came across the way I intended to.

Learning

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 1:21 pm
If you don’t have kids I would say go for it.but if your kids are in yeshivish schools than the friends and parents friends will notice and it will affect them badly. So I think it would be selfish to do that. Anyway I think it looks ugly with stockings. Stockings are not that pretty and it will draw attention to your legs and stocking.

giselle

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 1:52 pm
I can’t imagine that anyone can point to anything actually being wrong with an anklet or inappropriate. However, to answer your question, yes you will absolutely be labeled and categorized for wearing one in Lakewood. Whether this is wrong or right is another discussion, but that is the definite answer. And anyone not familiar with Lakewood can’t really answer this for you, no matter how wise they may be.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 1:58 pm
It’s just not something accepted in the community. It’s kind of like a nose ring. Not the norm and not accepted. You asked and this is the answer. Of course you can do whatever you want.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 1:58 pm
I will bite but will stay anonymous in anticipation of the tomatoes.

To me an anklet sends off the signal that you want to look s-xy. Not attractive, but attracting.

I am 100% sure this is a cultural bias. But you asked, and I answered.

I am not from lakewood, and a mother wearing an anklet would not be a roadblock to a playdate.

In my biased opinion, it does not look aidel.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 2:08 pm
Just by the fact that your asking if you will be labeled shows us that you know it’s not accepted in your circles and inappropriate. But some ppl like to be different and draw attention to themselves by doing things considered out of the box. Up to you to decide

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:06 pm
I agree that an anklet is s-xy. It’s meant to have someone move their eyes down your legs to see them.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I agree that an anklet is s-xy. It’s meant to have someone move their eyes down your legs to see them.

But that is more of a function of if you care about jewellery or not. I am not into jewellery so equally won’t notice or care about a necklace, earrings, bracelet or anklet.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:14 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
But that is more of a function of if you care about jewellery or not. I am not into jewellery so equally won’t notice or care about a necklace, earrings, bracelet or anklet.

It would grab many men’s attention and move their eyes down the legs. That’s the issue, not whether or not a lady would notice

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:14 pm
To be honest, I can't quite picture an anklet with stockings. Is it like those long white gloves in the movies where the bracelet is on top of the gloves?

I associate anklets with a bare leg, though from what I know about lakewood, I can't see that being accepted.

giselle

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:16 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
To be honest, I can't quite picture an anklet with stockings. Is it like those long white gloves in the movies where the bracelet is on top of the gloves?

I associate anklets with a bare leg, though from what I know about lakewood, I can't see that being accepted.

A lot more people go bare legged than wear an anklet in Lakewood.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:17 pm
Yes op, you should be concerned about getting such an item...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 3:25 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
it totally depends where you are coming from. If you come from chassidishe circles, for example, if you one day decide to wear an ankle bracelet on top of your hose, or with no hose at all, you get labeled as modern. This then translates into not being able to get your kids into chassidishe schools. Your neighbors may all of a sudden stop having their kids play with yours, or not allowing the kids into your house. This is just for examples sake.
If you were an out oft owner living oot you may get yourself a different label if no one in your town wears it. There are some things like long flowing flowery dresses and skirts that label you bohemian. It's the style that you wear. I think it boils down to what type of community you come from and if you fall into certain parameters that keep you in the realm of 'normal' as opposed to getting labeled. I'm not leaning towards anything, I'm just hoping to explain it and I have no clue if I came across the way I intended to.

THIS is why Moshiach is not here yet.

If a tiny gold chain is all that is keeping Jews apart, then I despair for all of us.

(As a side note, I have seen some VERY attracting, zexy shoes in the community. Why doesn't anyone freak out about that? A lot more men have a shoe f*tish, than they do an ankle f*tish.)

Learning

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 7:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS is why Moshiach is not here yet.

If a tiny gold chain is all that is keeping Jews apart, then I despair for all of us.

(As a side note, I have seen some VERY attracting, zexy shoes in the community. Why doesn't anyone freak out about that? A lot more men have a shoe f*tish, than they do an ankle f*tish.)

We are the generation before mashiach. We are not on a great level and most people are superficial. Also if you put a ring on your nose you attract attention because no one else does. Why would you do that. There are so many ways to feel pretty.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:34 pm
Having this problem with my teen DD, she got an anklet from MIL (THANKS SO MUCH GRANDMA) and wants to know why I have a problem with her wearing it. It just comes off as wanting to seem z-xy to me, it's like wearing a skirt with really long slits down the side-the point is to get people to look.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 9:47 pm
If you’re old enough to be on imamother
You’re too old to look good in an an anklet
Anklet on tanned lithe surfer girl who is currently actually holding her surfboard... ok, I get it
Anklet on the lady wearing a head covering: no. Just no.
Save it for the boudoir, OP. That solves your labeling problem, too.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 10:39 pm
I just googled anklet since I was unsure what it looked like and WOW!! They are gorgeous! There are some really pretty ones tiny gold chains with mini gold charms dangling, theyre so pretty! Its jewelry like a bracelet just on your legs. so adorning!
can we please make this a new trend in ultra frum circles? I love the look!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics