Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you don’t usually wear makeup..
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:26 am
Elfrida wrote:
For my sisters wedding we had distant relatives visiting us. While my sister was having her makeup done, one of them turned to my mother and asked, 'What will happen the first time he sees her without makeup?' My mother thought for a moment, and then replied, 'You know, I think this is the first time he's seen her with makeup!'

The same relative was equally shocked later on when my mother sat down in front of the mirror and spent about ten minutes applying her own makeup, and when none of the rest of us wore any at all. (My mother had said we could have makeup done if we wanted, but none of us did.)

I don't own any makeup. I don't think I have any principles about it, but it's just never occured to me as being an important part of life. My mother used to complain that none of us had any mirrors in the house. I suppose none of us grew up too interested in our own appearance.

So when I was dating DH we spoke about makeup. He said he wanted to see me without makeup, I came to a date without makeup (besides lipstick - cuz I love lipstick!) and I told him at some point I wasn't wearing any and he was like "Really? You look the same"

I personally go some days full face, and some nothing. I think I'm naturally beautiful - EVERYONE is! And the only reason I wear makeup is because it's fun! I mean I do colorful eye shadow looks, colorful eyeliner, sparkly highlighters, I'm in the know of when new things come out. I will wear glitter on my eyes on a regular Tuesday just because it's glitter and it's fun!

My lips are like half white and half pink, and so that's that one thing I'm a little insecure about and like something - even a tinted lip balm on my lips every day.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:28 am
I wear makeup because I love it! It's like art to me. It's so much fun to create a different look every day! But I equally go out bare faced or only wear some makeup. I do whatever I feel like that day doing.

I usually do try to fill in my eyebrows no matter what. While most of you are waxing and plucking them - I'm a redhead with sparse blonde eyebrows. It gives me face a lot more structure to it when they are filled in.

Ora in town

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:30 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
So when I was dating DH we spoke about makeup. He said he wanted to see me without makeup, I came to a date without makeup (besides lipstick - cuz I love lipstick!) and I told him at some point I wasn't wearing any and he was like "Really? You look the same"

I personally go some days full face, and some nothing. I think I'm naturally beautiful - EVERYONE is! And the only reason I wear makeup is because it's fun! I mean I do colorful eye shadow looks, colorful eyeliner, sparkly highlighters, I'm in the know of when new things come out. I will wear glitter on my eyes on a regular Tuesday just because it's glitter and it's fun!

My lips are like half white and half pink, and so that's that one thing I'm a little insecure about and like something - even a tinted lip balm on my lips every day.

I love this!

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 3:38 am
Ora in town wrote:
I love this!

Yes. I've taught him though all alot makeup and now he can tell the difference. I'll do one side of my face or one eye and say "See, this is WITHOUT and this is with. Do you see a difference?"

He still loves me with and without makeup (Probably without makeup more since I spend money on getting new makeup a lot! Right now I have my eyes on a couple Dose of Colors lip glosses and Colourpop new released pastel eyeshadows!)

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:02 am
As an Israeli I find it totally impractical to wear makeup. Especially in the summer months. Why bother cake myself when it's going to be a sweaty slippy mess within no time? I stopped wearing makeup during covid (already hiding half my face, other half melting off me so why bother?) and my skin has never been better. Now I tint my brows and go barefaced and nobody's taken any notice. I'm pretty sure DH hasn't even noticed either.

Also FYI tichel, no makeup and loose clothing is how 90% of my friends dress. And they all have wonderful middos.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:22 am
Ora in town wrote:
I suppose those women are either not online or not here.

Because almost nobody responded that they didn't wear make-up for tznius reasons...

Almost every non-make-uper responded they couldn't be bothered...

I think there is a difference between not interested and can't be bothered.

Can't be bothered implies that one agrees that this is a generally positive thing to do, but it's not high enough in their list of priorities to dedicate the time and effort involved.

Not interested just means that it is something that doesn't matter to them. Like some people drink wine, and know about different types and vintages and so on. To other people that kind of information simply isn't on their radar. And there are some people (myself included) who simply don't relate to makeup as something that has any connection to them.

Teomima

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:29 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
-I don't care
-My husband doesn't care
-I don't find it comfortable
-It's not a priority so automatically I don't have the time
-I'm not very pretty but I think I look OK without it

This, exactly.

Ora in town

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:36 am
Elfrida wrote:
I think there is a difference between not interested and can't be bothered.

Can't be bothered implies that one agrees that this is a generally positive thing to do, but it's not high enough in their list of priorities to dedicate the time and effort involved.

Not interested just means that it is something that doesn't matter to them. Like some people drink wine, and know about different types and vintages and so on. To other people that kind of information simply isn't on their radar. And there are some people (myself included) who simply don't relate to makeup as something that has any connection to them.

Ah sorry...
I meant this: no interest in the subject matter at all...can't be bothered to delve into the subject matter... but perhaps I will rephrase my post...

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:44 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
As an Israeli I find it totally impractical to wear makeup. Especially in the summer months. Why bother cake myself when it's going to be a sweaty slippy mess within no time? I stopped wearing makeup during covid (already hiding half my face, other half melting off me so why bother?) and my skin has never been better. Now I tint my brows and go barefaced and nobody's taken any notice. I'm pretty sure DH hasn't even noticed either.

Also FYI tichel, no makeup and loose clothing is how 90% of my friends dress. And they all have wonderful middos.

I live in Israel -
That's one reason I don't wear foundation. If you stick to powders or cream products you'll be better off. Especially in the summer its a lot of skin care, brows, lipstick, eyeliner and mascara. I have a really good mascara and eyeliner that never get ruined even in the Israeli heat. I wear cream eyeshadow, and highlighter a lot. Even when my highlighter fades it looks natural and doesn't get gross and smeary.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:46 am
Israeli here as well. I never wear full makeup. O.k., I did at my wedding but that's about it. In the first years of my marriage I usually went completely bare faced (and with a tichel. Hope it didn't ruin my middot...)
Dh didn't mind, in my community a lot of women don't wear makeup constantly (and wear mitpachot) - and so why care. Why does it matter?
Now that I'm somewhere near middle age, I try to put on most days eye liner, a bronze colored powder and some eye brow pencil to reduce the signs of ageing a bit. But it's not extremely important. Sometimes before Shabbat or on weekday mornings I don't have time or forget and then go without. And if mikveh night falls on Friday or Erev Chag, well, bare faced it is. I don't think anyone other than me notices around here. I'm wearing big, stylish (I hope) glasses anyway which are the attention catching part of my face. And I miss my moisturizing face cream on those occasions more than the paint.

#Happymom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 5:52 am
I wear full face, every day. Every day. (Just not first 2 days after giving birth, but by day 3, I'm back to the mirror) and I love it. Dh prefers me in makeup, and Im happy like that. I also feel much better abt myself once Im in makeup, I feel dressed and I feel that I look like a mentch.
And I also wear a sheital 90% of the time
And I live in Israel.
But it's important to me.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 6:08 am
I can't stand the feel of anything on my face.

I prefer a natural look.

I don't think anyone should feel the need to change her face to meet arbitrary standards of beauty.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:21 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I just don't have the patience to spend too much time on makeup.

I'll usually wear lipstick and eyeliner (takes 30 seconds to put on) but I've been told I look pretty without makeup. Though of course I do look much better with (most people do).

I never do the whole full face 10 minute routine - it's just not in my personality, and I don't particularly like the look.

I personally don’t think most people look better with make-up. I just think they look like they are made up. Plus I inherently trust them less as I think what are they hiding? What else are they masking? I wore tonnes of make-up as an insecure teen (ironically when I obviously had my most flawless and beautiful skin) and if I see a woman with make-up now, my first thought is she is insecure. Yes, even if she is wearing subtle “barely there” make-up. My DH doesn’t notice whether I wear it or not so I prefer to let my skin breath. I am nearly 50 now and people often think I am younger.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:27 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Many women are in a tznius cult.

No make up at all, no wig, , dress like a nun.
Then you can feel like you are frummest one on the block with out having to work on your middos or grow spiritiually

How frum or tznius is it to talk about other people’s appearance, middos or spiritual growth? 🤔

IMHO, many women wear make-up just because they don’t want the other women in their community to judge them. Very sad that women are made to feel this way by their so-called sisters.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:29 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Many women are in a tznius cult.

No make up at all, no wig, , dress like a nun.
Then you can feel like you are frummest one on the block with out having to work on your middos or grow spiritiually

Off to make some popcorn then finish the thread.
Do all the women who eschew makeup do so out of tznius?

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:31 am
Frumme wrote:
OP, haven't you seen the posts here about mikvah Friday night with the makeup-every-day women?! Ladies being very concerned their teenage girls/MILs will know something is going on because they're not wearing their usual "face!"

That gives me reason enough to not wear it regularly Wink

Agreed, my Mikvah nights have fallen disproportionately on Yom Tovim and Friday nights. I love that it isn’t a bigger deal for me to go then vs any other time. I actually prefer it as there is less pressure, similar to how it is now due to Covid.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:35 am
thegiver wrote:
Also makeup costs $$ can't be wasted

True. I have a foundation that seems to have lasted forever that I got on clearance. (I just dab my nose and upper cheeks, where I'm ruddy.) I splurge on Revlon eyeliner, maybe 3-4 a year at about $10 for a 2 pack at Target. Blush is cheap. Lipstick...ah, there's the rub. What stays on? Nothing. So I may as well get the cheapest but no, I'll buy a Revlon or two a year.

I'm not trying to ruin this thread. But just like not everyone who eschews makeup is someone who couldn't care less about her looks/is uber tznius/whatever so too not everyone who uses makeup applies it with a trowel, spends hours a week of her life that she'll never get back, etc. I feel the eye liner wakes me up, and I like how blush contours my cheeks.

BUT, that said, since I'm fairly minimal, I can see going all the way, without makeup.
And are we just talking face? Do women who don't wear face makeup also not bother with nail polish? (If you don't use nail polish, we have some common ground. Is there a high five emoji?)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:37 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Dear L-rd.
This also has to be analyzed and judged??

I think OP just wants validation.
OP, let me assure you. I don't look at women without makeup with scorn, or judge you for all sorts of imagined reasons. If I notice, I probably admire your skin, your smile, might like your clothes, other.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:37 am
PinkFridge wrote:
True. I have a foundation that seems to have lasted forever that I got on clearance. (I just dab my nose and upper cheeks, where I'm ruddy.) I splurge on Revlon eyeliner, maybe 3-4 a year at about $10 for a 2 pack at Target. Blush is cheap. Lipstick...ah, there's the rub. What stays on? Nothing. So I may as well get the cheapest but no, I'll buy a Revlon or two a year.

I'm not trying to ruin this thread. But just like not everyone who eschews makeup is someone who couldn't care less about her looks/is uber tznius/whatever so too not everyone who uses makeup applies it with a trowel, spends hours a week of her life that she'll never get back, etc. I feel the eye liner wakes me up, and I like how blush contours my cheeks.

BUT, that said, since I'm fairly minimal, I can see going all the way, without makeup.
And are we just talking face? Do women who don't wear face makeup also not bother with nail polish? (If you don't use nail polish, we have some common ground. Is there a high five emoji?)

I wear nail polish on toenails and hand nails but no face make-up. I don’t see the correlation. 🤷‍♀️

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:41 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I wear makeup because I love it! It's like art to me. It's so much fun to create a different look every day! But I equally go out bare faced or only wear some makeup. I do whatever I feel like that day doing.

I usually do try to fill in my eyebrows no matter what. While most of you are waxing and plucking them - I'm a redhead with sparse blonde eyebrows. It gives me face a lot more structure to it when they are filled in.

Do women who don't wear makeup ignore their eyebrows or other facial hair? No judgment here, I'm not a paragon of keeping up with it. But I'm sure some women who don't wear makeup pluck or fill in if necessary.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics