Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you don’t usually wear makeup..
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:43 am
#Happymom wrote:
I wear full face, every day. Every day. (Just not first 2 days after giving birth, but by day 3, I'm back to the mirror) and I love it. Dh prefers me in makeup, and Im happy like that. I also feel much better abt myself once Im in makeup, I feel dressed and I feel that I look like a mentch.
And I also wear a sheital 90% of the time
And I live in Israel.
But it's important to me.

And all that's ok. I bolded the last line because do what makes you happy. Good kind people won't look at other people who don't and judge them. It might not even occur to them to look at how much makeup other people wear.
And that's all that counts.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:44 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Do women who don't wear makeup ignore their eyebrows or other facial hair? No judgment here, I'm not a paragon of keeping up with it. But I'm sure some women who don't wear makeup pluck or fill in if necessary.

According to which standards is it considered 'necessary'?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:47 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I wear nail polish on toenails and hand nails but no face make-up. I don’t see the correlation. 🤷‍♀️

It just shows how multi-faceted this conversation is.
Some women wear make up for fun. Some wear it because it makes them feel more put together. Some will wear it light, some will apply it with a trowel. And re nails: some will be subtle, some will be eye-popping.
And let's not even talk about other types of grooming. Those Argentinian things...wait, that's another South American country, I'll remember in a minute Twisted Evil

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 7:49 am
Elfrida wrote:
According to which standards is it considered 'necessary'?

Good catch. Necessary to THEM. And only them. I didn't mean in any objective level because I'm not the kind of person who feels that there are baselines like "Come on, you mean you don't even care about xyz," etc.

Thanks for catching it this early, I won't go back to edit.

thriver

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:10 am
Minimal makeup for me if any. I am naturally beautiful as I’m sure most of you are. Not that I don’t care about my looks. Full disclosure: When I had chemo and lost my hair I would not remove my sheitel. To the point of craziness where I even wore it into surgery... 😆... they told me that it was alright as long as they notified the anesthesiologist so they didn’t freak out when it moved! I did color in eyebrows when those were gone but since they’ve grown back BH! I feel so beautiful just with eyebrows and eyelashes. I do use eyeliner because otherwise I feel like I look like I just woke up but otherwise BH I’ve been blessed with natural beauty... for shabbos I’ll add mascara and lipstick, and when I’m in the mood, eyeshadow. My husband‘s thoughts are that makeup is for women who aren’t naturally beautiful so it works for us. Never owned the full face stuff—I can’t even think of what it’s called. But to each her own. For me personally, I feel beautiful with my eyelashes and eyebrows. And I almost always wear my sheitel when going out except now during Covid I’ve relaxed a bit because the snood kinda goes with the mask 😷 ya know what I mean? 😆

Ora in town

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:18 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Do women who don't wear makeup ignore their eyebrows or other facial hair? No judgment here, I'm not a paragon of keeping up with it. But I'm sure some women who don't wear makeup pluck or fill in if necessary.

Not every woman has a facial hair problem. There are women who don't have facial hair that grows permanently...

Same for the eyebrows...

Actually, I would worry that nothing will be left from my eyebrows if I started plucking them regularly. I saw some old women with no eyebrows left, who had to replace them with makeup - I didn't find that very attractive...

Can it be that the eyebrows disappear from too much plucking?

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:24 am
I don't care enough to be bothered. And most people who wear makeup, I don't think it makes them look nicer (often the opposite - they look much nicer without makeup).

I don't see a reason to spend time and money on something that isn't really important. And I don't think it helps your skin, either.

I also don't see a reason to wear makeup just because that's what everyone else is doing and that's what's expected. I'm sure it's hurt me in job interviews a few times but I really don't care, I don't want to work somewhere that judges me based on makeup instead of intelligence and work ethic.

Bottom line, I've never found a good reason to wear makeup. But I have a lot of good reasons why I shouldn't. Smile

As a bonus, I never have the Friday night mikva dilemma, because I never wear makeup anyways. Wink

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:35 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Many women are in a tznius cult.

No make up at all, no wig, , dress like a nun.
Then you can feel like you are frummest one on the block with out having to work on your middos or grow spiritiually

Not everyone who doesn’t wear makeup or a wig does it for tzniut reasons.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:42 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I do my eyebrows but not as much as I used to. As a teen my mother would push me nonstop to make my eyebrows look perfect, saying I looked messy and unkempt when they weren't. At one point I was plucking them until they were barely there.

Now I keep them the way I like them. I like them thick but I pluck what's in the middle.

I hate my mustache and keep meaning to find a non-toxic way to bleach it but then I forget, because it's just not a priority...

I never do my nails, they would just get messed up within hours anyways. I use my hands, I don't want to be limited in that. (As a teenager I did paint my nails. Eventually I realized it was a waste of time and energy, so I stopped.)

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:46 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Many women are in a tznius cult.

No make up at all, no wig, , dress like a nun.
Then you can feel like you are frummest one on the block with out having to work on your middos or grow spiritiually

This.
I joined the cult for a while so I know

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:50 am
I put on makeup for Shabbos, YT, and before I leave the house. (Foundation, lipstick, blush. For weddings also mascara, eyeliner, and eye shadow)

When I stay home all day I prefer the feeling of nothing on my face. I just don't love how I look without foundation. (Pimples, pimple scars, freckles) While I look good without makeup, I like better how I look when my skin tone is even and smooth.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 8:54 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
This.
I joined the cult for a while so I know

So the only way a woman can leave her house without makeup or a sheitel is if she has joined a tznius cult? That’s beyond ridiculous.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:11 am
BH I have good skin so I’ve never worn foundation, like ever. I’d rather have a random zit or dark circles under my eyes than covering my entire face with makeup.

I prefer how I look with a little eyeliner and mascara, and when I worked out of the house, I wore that much every day. Now that I’m home all the time? I put on eye makeup for Shabbos if I have time, and sometimes during the week if I stam feel like it.

I don’t think I’m especially beautiful, but no one tells MEN that their value is tied to how young and blemish-free their face looks!! I think it’s a little feminist b’shittah that I don’t treat makeup like a getting-dressed-level necessity. I don’t want to add to the social pressure of anyone to “put on their face”, not my daughter, not to women at the grocery store... our faces are fine the way HaShem made them. 😊

sequoia

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:13 am
Yeah. It’s interesting that makeup went from “no self-respecting woman would wear it” to “every self-respecting woman must wear it” in a generation. It’s like, is nothing just optional?

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:15 am
I used to wear it when I was single, but it disgusts DH, so I stopped. Since then, I put more effort into my skin and general well-being, and I think I look beautiful. Smile

ETA - Makeup used to be my "I'm fine" mask. Now I don't have one, and I really do like how I look and feel much better. Sometimes I consider getting mascara, because it was easily the most fun part, but it's a frivolous expense, so I'm not going to go out of my way to do it.

Last edited by Rappel on Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:19 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
So the only way a woman can leave her house without makeup or a sheitel is if she has joined a tznius cult? That’s beyond ridiculous.

No
That’s not what I said
I said that there are women in a tzniyus cult.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:23 am
So I think this thread can be summarised: do whatever makes you feel good.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:36 am
#Happymom wrote:
I wear full face, every day. Every day. (Just not first 2 days after giving birth, but by day 3, I'm back to the mirror) and I love it. Dh prefers me in makeup, and Im happy like that. I also feel much better abt myself once Im in makeup, I feel dressed and I feel that I look like a mentch.
And I also wear a sheital 90% of the time
And I live in Israel.
But it's important to me.

I do the same - but not because I love it but because I have such a pasty white colorless skin tone. If I don't wear foundation, I often get questions if I'm feeling ok, is everything alright, etc. And because of my light skin tone, I need to wear sunscreen every day. So I apply foundation that contains sunscreen and take care of both issues at once.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:43 am
All the women in my family have naturally good skin. We all look much younger than we are. I can't take credit, I inherited it. I do use a bit of sunscreen if I'm going to be outside for long.

I like tinted lip gloss, and sometimes I put on a bit of blush if I didn't get enough sleep the night before. Otherwise, I'm good to go on a daily basis.

For a simcha, I have everything I need to do a fabulous full face, because I know that if I'm going to be photographed I will look washed out otherwise. A bit of shading never hurt anybody.

I don't like or dislike the way I look. I look like ME, and that is the way Hashem made me. I don't mind looking my age, either. I'm even starting to accept that I will probably always be a size 12, and not get down to a size 10.

There are advantages of being 55, and settling down into your self. Very Happy

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jun 26 2020, 9:46 am
I wear no makeup or minimal makeup (brow pencil, eyeliner, blush), except for shabbos(I use eye makeup and lipgloss) and simchos (full face). I have dark lashes, and natural color in my face. I use moisturizer to keep my skin looking lively.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics