Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Wearing masks to school
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 11:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My Children are required to wear masks to school this year, I am really uncomfortable with this. I don’t think it’s safe, and really not conducive for learning. Anyone else dealing with this?

It's unacceptable. That's why I am homeschooling this year.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 3:22 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
He wore the mask and the rest of the building didn't? Or everyone had masks on?
He wore his mask the correct way, covering the mouth and the nose. Everyone else did whatever they did. But the sick person had covered up his mouth and nose so nobody else got sick.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:54 pm
I hope my kids schools will require a mask, it's the bare minimum, since I doubt they will have space to move the desks far enough apart etc.....

I think older kids( above 7) should be able to wear a mask and understand the situation, I could think of way worse things than having to wear a mask.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:46 pm
Here's an amazon link for masks with a see through window.
https://amzn.to/2QcyS16

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 10:53 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Here's an amazon link for masks with a see through window.
https://amzn.to/2QcyS16

Has anyone here tried one of these? I keep seeing these advertised and while it's a nice idea to see faces, it seems like that material is sooo unbreathable and the one person I saw actually wearing it - the plastic was all fogged up from his breath.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:03 pm
the plastic does get fogged up. You have to "smear" it with soap (and wipe it off) which prevents it from fogging up.
I would only recommend this for people who are dealing with people who are hard of hearing, not as a regular everyday mask.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:04 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Has anyone here tried one of these? I keep seeing these advertised and while it's a nice idea to see faces, it seems like that material is sooo unbreathable and the one person I saw actually wearing it - the plastic was all fogged up from his breath.

My friend who is an ASL interpreter uses them when working and thinks they're great. She hasn't mentioned them fogging up, but I also haven't asked. I will ask about it next time I chat with her.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:05 pm
Tirza wrote:
To the poster who wrote:
“And yes, older teachers may want to think about retirement early. It is what it is.“
Really? You’re not ashamed of yourself? Sure, let’s just send experienced teachers who have dedicated decades of their lives to teaching out to pasture.
I really hope that you don’t get treated that way when you’re older.

No one is sending anyone out to pasture. Teachers have the choice EVERY year whether they want to return to their job or not. This year, age and/or health may play a bigger factor in that decision than it would have in previous years. No one is firing teachers or telling them they are not allowed back.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 11:11 pm
I have 3 children in school this year, one will be homeschooled. Of those, only one school has communicated a plan to us. I don’t like that my kid has to wear a mask in school (and also in the car to and from school, if carpooling with anyone other than family) but at least it’s only when they are out of their desks. I don’t like that they will have plexiglass around their desks, or that the teacher/rebbi will be stuck teaching from their desk and won’t be able to move around the classroom, but it’s all better than being on zoom. I know people who are keeping their kids home due to the mask situation. I can’t do that right now, I can only start homeschooling one kid at a time. Maybe over time I will homeschool more children, but I can’t start them all at the same time.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 12:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My Children are required to wear masks to school this year, I am really uncomfortable with this. I don’t think it’s safe, and really not conducive for learning. Anyone else dealing with this?

What city/state/country is this?
Did they go to day camp or camp this summer?
Brooklyn Lakewood monsey all had regular camp and day camp

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 2:52 am
I'm an SLP and my job requires children to stare at my mouth all day and for me to stare at their mouths/touch their faces. Hashem knows what is going to happen now with these masks when I go back to work.

I've been wearing the see through ones so far doing home visits and they fog up and are very unproductive. Its very challenging.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 6:40 am
My sons school here in israel has been open since it was allowed and didn't have any cases of spread in school although they did have cases where kids caught it at home and where in school before symptoms showed up

They built a plastic partition around every desk and separated each desk 2 meters apart so that the kids could sit thru class without a mask. The kids where required to wear a mask any time they got up from the desk.

Maybe this is something that could be suggested

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 7:03 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
My sons school here in israel has been open since it was allowed and didn't have any cases of spread in school although they did have cases where kids caught it at home and where in school before symptoms showed up

They built a plastic partition around every desk and separated each desk 2 meters apart so that the kids could sit thru class without a mask. The kids where required to wear a mask any time they got up from the desk.

Maybe this is something that could be suggested

This is exactly what my child’s school is doing. I’m not happy about it, but my kid has to go to school.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics