Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anyone else stayed home entire summer?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

yidishmamma

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:40 pm
I was home all summer besides going away 2 weekends ( does that count as not being home for entire summer ?)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:43 pm
Forgot to mention, its not like wasnt anywhere just this summer. I didnt go anywhere really for past few years and feel like I could use break now.

I know once Sept rolls around I wont be so desperate anymore. I have this every year. But this summer im taking it harder. Was really planning to do a family trip. Dh works all year long with no breaks, even chol hamoed. (I feel the resentment then too!!)

happyone

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 10:43 pm
metoo

amother
Black

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:18 pm
We were home all summer by choice and we liked it. I find traveling with young children to be very hard and not relaxing at all.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seems like I'm the only one that stayed home entire summer. No vacation. No change of scenery. Not even for a shabbos. Whoever I talk to did/doing something.

If your in same situation- how are u managing?

Im actually very resentful about it. I feel like I need change of scenery/routine desperately. And hearing everyones plans isnt making me feel better. Wish I can also do something. Unfortunately dh isnt as desperate as I am. Cant take off from work and wants to be home for shabbos.

OMG OP I could have written your post
I feel sad and unrefreshed. I have not been away for years. No family that we can go to on the same continent as us. Not been away overnight for about 4 years. I dream of waking up somewhere else, so that I dont have to wake up to the same dishes, laundry and dirty floors each day. Everyone needs a break and a vacation, and I dont get one. Ever. So, dear OP. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! dont know if that makes you feel better or not
Sad

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:48 am
Same here. Same boring old concrete jungle all summer long. Not a single small change is scenery at all. It's really hard, I'm reaching the end of my rope.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:49 am
Stayed home too and had 3 of my kids home with me.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:21 am
Pretty much never go away in the summer and didn't this year. I happen to like staying home so that part doesn't bother me. But it was not a restful summer at all. I am a teacher, and even though I always do preparation during the summer I also do get a break and time to relax. This year I feel like I was working the whole summer. More prep than usual to be prepared for possible Zoom/hybrid etc. Also was constantly hearing from my school about all sorts of stressful things. I feel so drained and the year hasn't even started yet.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:46 am
I've been home, too, in the dreadful heat of Brooklyn. I spent my summer working two jobs, moving apartments in July (a process that drained my savings and every last drop of energy I had), and trying to stay far away from people who chose to vacation out-of-state and refuse to quarantine upon their return. We went no farther than the playground sprinkler. My parents often host us for seudos on shabbos but they've been less available than usual this summer.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:49 am
We haven’t been away since Chanukah! My fault really. And Covid of course.

itsmeima

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 2:34 am
It's so hard!

We've been stuck at home with the kids since March Banging head

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:46 am
I've been home all summer. 4 kids, all home, no camp. Pre-covid the plan had been to travel abroad the whole summer, though obviously that fell through. Instead I kept working through July, had August off and planned some local activities, camping, swimming, things like that. Then we had to do some emergency home repairs and were stuck in the house for two weeks dealing with that. Then we got bed bugs and are still recovering (the laundry!!! Oy the laundry!!) Now the summer is nearly over and we've done nothing more than a day at the park here and there.

2020 just keeps getting worse.

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:49 am
Me
And loved every minute Thank Gd

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:56 am
Stayed home as well.
I could understand the feeling of resentment OP.
So now I'm busy planning a mid winter vacation in Mykonos, Greece LOL

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:02 am
Well, I did go away for Shabbos this summer, to my SIL. That was after 2 1/2 days of no power, moving all my stuff to cram it into SIL's freezers, scrubbing down my fridge and freezer (they smelled) and the rest of the house (no a/c makes everything seem coated in a layer of sweat), letting it air out of over Shabbos and then shlepping all my stuff back (threw out whatever wasn't worth shlepping or whatever was too soggy to salvage...).

But I've had many summers where we stay home. Sometimes we have company. I don't have such an "I need to get away" mentality, I grew up staying home so it was never a big thing for me. We do alot of day trips, and I sleep best in my own bed anyway.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:13 am
Nope me too. Partly because I have newborn twins LOL

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:26 am
I didn't go away by choice. Normally, I work half my hours during the summer, so after everyone is finished with school or camp, I had enough time to relax and could go away for part of August. Vacations are not relaxing for me. Last summer, we went to the Poconos. I ran around with my younger son until he was exhausted, brought him back to the room where dh was watching tv with my older son, played ping pong with my older son until I was ready to pass out and needed him to drag me back to the room where my little guy had enough of watching videos and was ready to go out again, etc. Dh took care of swimming, played a few rounds of ping pong with my older son each day, and took my big guy for a daily walk, but I was on 24/7.
Guess what? I can't do that this year. I was on 24/7 since everyone came home on March 13 and forgot to leave again. There is no way I could run around like I did previous summers. My vacation will be in September when everyone goes back to school since I'm not going back to work until after Succos. Dh took my older son on vacation for a week, but I refused to go and stayed home with my little guy.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:29 am
yes we did

as did almost everyone we know

glad to

DREAMING

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 9:30 am
I was home. Twice we had shalosh seudah with my sil. Otherwise home home hone

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 10:07 am
I was home all summer. I hosted a birthday party at my house so my family visited. I had some family for Shabbos. But I have not gone away , not even for a day trip and I’m a bit disappointed that I didn’t have any “summer fun” this year. But I hope to go away for a few days in the winter if possible. I have not made any plans yet.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics