Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Adhd child questions
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 7:31 am
Yes -we tried guafancine also did not work.

The vyvanse is the only thing that I actually see a change - he definitely focuses better when he takes it.

Is it normal that the discipline at this point is just positive. Consequences don't work. We do explosive child and that helps a tiny drop but I am just wondering if anyone has experience did your kid outgrow the aggression?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 7:36 am
Intunive is the solution for impulsivity for my kids. Vyvanse was terrible for them. I changed meds immediately.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 7:50 am
I have ADD, and guafancine did nothing for me. Provigil just made me tense and nervous.

Adderall helps if I take a tiny dose, but if I take it for too long it gives me heart palpitations and panic attacks.

I'd love to try Strattera, but I'm already on a handful of medications that are contraindicated.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 8:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have ADD, and guafancine did nothing for me. Provigil just made me tense and nervous.

Adderall helps if I take a tiny dose, but if I take it for too long it gives me heart palpitations and panic attacks.

I'd love to try Strattera, but I'm already on a handful of medications that are contraindicated.

Yeah my son is on straterra and clonadine. I found he had some explosive episodes more recently, but we were also away and corona so we are waiting until things settle back into routine to see what to attribute it to

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 9:15 am
Hi OP, we ran through all the stimulant meds (the methamphetamine derivatives) for my child with ADHD and they either didn't work or caused too much irritability and anger after the dose wore off. The best fit for us was guanfacine ER (the extended release, not the immediate release). The med and just growing older is helping- my kid is now 12 and impulsivity is less of a problem now than a year ago. Different supplements also helped but we haven't done it consistently bc he hates swallowing pills. I also wanted to say that watching video lectures by Dr. Russell Barkely helped me, as a parent, to better understand what's going on with this condition. I don't know of any respite places like you're asking, but perhaps YOU and/or your spouse can go away for a day or two to get a break?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 9:49 am
My child is taking Guanfacine in a liquid form- also a lot of meds do come in capsules that are okay to open.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 10:01 am
sarahmalka wrote:
Hi OP, we ran through all the stimulant meds (the methamphetamine derivatives) for my child with ADHD and they either didn't work or caused too much irritability and anger after the dose wore off. The best fit for us was guanfacine ER (the extended release, not the immediate release). The med and just growing older is helping- my kid is now 12 and impulsivity is less of a problem now than a year ago. Different supplements also helped but we haven't done it consistently bc he hates swallowing pills. I also wanted to say that watching video lectures by Dr. Russell Barkely helped me, as a parent, to better understand what's going on with this condition. I don't know of any respite places like you're asking, but perhaps YOU and/or your spouse can go away for a day or two to get a break?

Tysm - I'm binge watching his videos now.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 11:14 am
I just want to offer you hope. As the mother of ADHD children I didn't know if they would be able to be in Yeshiva. They were suspended from school, kicked out of camp, etc. It was quite a wild ride. You have to hang in there. Fast forward a few years. The oldest is currently applying to medical school and the younger one is an honor student doing very well. They are wonderful people and give me much joy. They still have challenges, but are coping and I have every reason to believe they'll lead productive, happy lives. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me this 15 years ago. It does get better.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 11:30 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I just want to offer you hope. As the mother of ADHD children I didn't know if they would be able to be in Yeshiva. They were suspended from school, kicked out of camp, etc. It was quite a wild ride. You have to hang in there. Fast forward a few years. The oldest is currently applying to medical school and the younger one is an honor student doing very well. They are wonderful people and give me much joy. They still have challenges, but are coping and I have every reason to believe they'll lead productive, happy lives. I wouldn't have believed it if you told me this 15 years ago. It does get better.

tysm - you don't know how much your words mean to me.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Aug 30 2020, 11:32 am
Finally focused. Excellent book.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics