Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Next time I'm buying kugel
1  2  Next

zigi

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 12:38 pm
I tried to make a yerushalmi kugel it wound up being a pile of noodles with egg I hope it tastes ok. does any one have any tips on how to make it better? thanks

louche

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 12:50 pm
Let the noodles cool to lukewarm (or rinse them in cold water to force them to cool)before adding the eggs. Adding eggs to hot noodles immediately cooks them, just like egg-drop soup.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 12:52 pm
that's the hardest kugel to make IMO

Lani22

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 12:58 pm
One of the kosher palettes has the easiest yerushalmi kugel recipe.....

zigi

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 2:19 pm
thanks for the advice. I also had problems with the sugar it hardend when I poured it over the noodles. the "kugel" tastes good though!

Tamiri

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 12:55 pm
You have to be careful when making the caramel. Heat the sugar with the oil and watch it. In my experience (I make it every two weeks - one for the week and one for the freezer), it takes around 10-15 minutes for the sugar to properly dissolve in the oil and for the caramel to gain it's golden/tan color. Don't let it go past a deep tan. Then, pour it over the cooked noodles. One recipe I have says to toss noodles in 2 Tbsp. oil when you are cooling them. I put the noodles into the pan with the caramel after taking it off the flame. This serves to coat the noodles entirely and not leave chunks of sugar behind.
It's not a hard kugel once you are used to making it and it's always well received.

MahPitom

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 8:47 pm
I have an amazing fool proof recipe. If you know how to caramelize the sugar, then you’re already a pro! The gist of it is: Put up 6 cups of water to boil. Then, Caramelize the sugar. Add in the boiling water, then the noodles and turn the heat down to medium. Allow to cool thoroughly then add 4 eggs, oil (forgot how much) 2 teaspoons salt, ¾ teaspoon black pepper. Foolproof! I make it in huge batches and freeze it raw.

zigi

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 11:08 pm
thanks! I will try it again. but I will do it when I'm not baking a cake at the same time Wink

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 12:33 am
okay, I posted a recipe for yerushalmi kugel that will beat all of the above tips and will make cm think it is the EASIEST kugel to make. it takes only one pot! and is basically fail proof. off to find that thread now.

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 1:03 am
couldn't find that thread (there should be laws about posting in the wrong section Twisted Evil ). here's the recipe:

brown:
3/4 c oil
1 c sugar
over med/low heat till dark brown.

add:
6 of the 7 oz cups water (weird, but that's how my mil told it to me and that's how I do it)
bring to a boil.

then add:
1 package thin lokshen
salt and pepper to taste

cook until water is almost all absorbed, stirring so you don't get a thick layer on the bottom of the pot

remove from flame and add:
2 beaten eggs
mix well with lokshen

transer to baking pan

bake at 350 for about 1 hour.

presto!!! amazing yerushalmi kugel - your israeli guests will beg for more (mine do)

koolmother

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 9:58 am
the best yerushalmi kugel is the one from the kosher palette it only takes one pot an no caramelizing involved. its the easiest recipe I found so far. if you want the recepi let me know I will post it for you

MahPitom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:00 am
Squash, the only difference between my recipe and yours is that mine requires you to add BOILING water. And I find that to be helpful because it immediately stops the caramelizing which can burn fast, and then the noodles only cook for about 5 minutes, that’s all !

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:24 am
Squash, I want to make that for this Shabbos! Thanks for posting !

Mevater

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:32 am
koolmother wrote:
the best yerushalmi kugel is the one from the kosher palette it only takes one pot an no caramelizing involved. its the easiest recipe I found so far. if you want the recepi let me know I will post it for you
Please post it.

Squash

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 12:22 pm
good luck cm! lemme know how it turns out. I have two of them in the oven right now. mmmmmmmm

Lani22

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 12:59 pm
koolmother wrote:

I agree - I love this recipe soo easy and delicious

zigi

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 9:11 am
could you please post the recipe thanks!

Mevater

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 9:23 am
I'm anxious for it too. TIA.

AGINY

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 9:49 am
Just made the kugel from teh kosher by design and HAD to have a slice while it was hot out of the oven. It was simple to make, and very delicious. I personally would lower the sugar from a full cup to half or three quarters, but definitely a make again dish!

drumjj

Post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 9:49 am
I have the kosher pallete and I cant find the recipe in it so please post it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes