Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary discussion for 2021/2022
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Can anyone compare Tehillas to Bnos Sara - in terms of academics, hashkafa, and type of girls?

TIA

As far as I understand, they're both academic, but tehillas is more "in town" type. Bnos Sara has a wider variety of girls. I've also heard that bnos Sara is an extremely warm seminary. (I'm not saying that tehillas isn't, just that that's what I heard about bnos Sara)

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:55 pm
Could I possibly feel more invisible?
And people maintain that there is an MO presence on this site🙄

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

There definitely is, but it was clear from the OP that she was referring to Bais Yaakov type seminaries (though she should have put it in the title).

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I’d love to hear options for girls that are wonderful, frum solid hashkafos, beautiful middos, but not academic...

Yes!
But my daughter only wants to look at North American options.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:37 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I personally know someone who was there last year. These were girls having sx with multiple people a night in town and talking about it together. Many did drugs and alcohol.

I don't want to give more details as I don't want to hurt the girls publicly.

That was the girls there last year. I cannot say if it's like that every year but if your daughter is not in that type of place I don't suggest it.

OP asked for someone who was not in this place at all someone who went off the derech and refund her place already

I'm sorry but you are just wrong. I know many girls who have been there from several different years and 1. Jewessence has a 0 tolerance policy against drugs 2. Yes they are more hands off so whatever the girls do on their own time is up to them but the turn around that these girls make is unbelievable. Many of them return to frumkeit in a healthy, authentic, sincere way. Some are still getting there but are considerable more healthy and connected from when they came in.

OP didn't ask about OTD sems, it was another posted (Lavender I think) who asked about a place for OTD who still wants to be connected to some Judaism. Jewessence is that place.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:52 pm
Can anyone tell me anything about chemdas?
How does it compare to bnos sara or BJJ?
is it still true that a significant number of girls listen to non Jewish music in bnos sara? Thats what I heard from someone who was there a few yrs ago!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:04 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I'm sorry but you are just wrong. I know many girls who have been there from several different years and 1. Jewessence has a 0 tolerance policy against drugs 2. Yes they are more hands off so whatever the girls do on their own time is up to them but the turn around that these girls make is unbelievable. Many of them return to frumkeit in a healthy, authentic, sincere way. Some are still getting there but are considerable more healthy and connected from when they came in.

OP didn't ask about OTD sems, it was another posted (Lavender I think) who asked about a place for OTD who still wants to be connected to some Judaism. Jewessence is that place.

I'm not saying they aren't a wonderful place. I'm sure they are and I have heard lots of wonderful things.

All I'm saying if your child is struggling or she is OTD or semi religious but not engaging in sx and drinking and cursing and dressing in tank tops and shorts than this is not the proper school.

That's all I'm saying. There's a large spectrum of where people are holding and a crowd like this may drag a girl down. Someone who is simply struggling or is OTD but not engaging in these behaviors this isn't the right seminary.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:27 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
is it still true that a significant number of girls listen to non Jewish music in bnos sara? Thats what I heard from someone who was there a few yrs ago!

Chemdas is very yeshivish, a lot of Lakewood girls

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:36 pm
Any info on what type of girls Migdal - the new seminary in Lakewood - is looking to attract?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:06 pm
What type go to Bnos Chava or Meohr?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:12 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
There definitely is, but it was clear from the OP that she was referring to Bais Yaakov type seminaries (though she should have put it in the title).

She started by calling "all mothers of twelfth graders" and then followed that with a list indicating that to her, "all" only includes some kinds of mothers.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:29 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
She started by calling "all mothers of twelfth graders" and then followed that with a list indicating that to her, "all" only includes some kinds of mothers.

WADR - I’m trying to understand why you are offended. She listed the seminaries she was considering. You are certainly included in “all mothers,” and are free to discuss seminaries, which you are considering (which can certainly be different from the ones she is considering). Has anyone said otherwise?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:42 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
WADR - I’m trying to understand why you are offended. She listed the seminaries she was considering. You are certainly included in “all mothers,” and are free to discuss seminaries, which you are considering (which can certainly be different from the ones she is considering). Has anyone said otherwise?

Offended is far too strong a term. It's business as usual here that "all" doesn't really mean all.

There are many kinds of posters here, and it would have made sense to specify what kind of seminary rather than assume that Bais Yaakov type seminaries are the only ones that exist. Just say that you're looking into the following places and others like them.

I see this the same way I see posts assuming that of course everyone lives in Brooklyn. I can recommend a dry cleaner in my neighborhood, if you like. It's interesting, and a little sad, when people don't realize that not everyone is just like them.

Sorry for the digression, now back to the thread, looking for seminaries for Bais Yaakov girls.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:21 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Peninim is more modern the girls there are struggling hashkkfafically. She asked for strong hashkkfafically. She's looking for a girl who dint actively struggling.

That is not true at all. My daughter did not struggle hashkafically and is an all around good girl .the reason why she went to pninim is because she struggled academically . Pninim is one of the few sems there are for girls who struggle academically .

I don’t understand why a girl struggling academically is always equated with someone who’s struggling hashkafically.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:43 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

I don't think the girls in bnos sara are listening to english music, my dd went 2 yrs ago and she and all of her friends did not.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

I really meant it when I said "calling all mother's of twelfth graders". I listed the few seminaries that my daughter was considering, but I was hoping that others would chime in with where they were considering as well - all across the spectrum.

Ironically, while we are a yeshivish family, I do have a younger daughter who is taking a different derech than us, and when it's her turn in a couple of years, I'll likely be looking at more MO schools, so I have an interest in descriptions of those as well.

So, burlywood, if you're still following, what can you tell me about the seminaries on your radar?

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:21 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Offended is far too strong a term. It's business as usual here that "all" doesn't really mean all.

There are many kinds of posters here, and it would have made sense to specify what kind of seminary rather than assume that Bais Yaakov type seminaries are the only ones that exist. Just say that you're looking into the following places and others like them.

I see this the same way I see posts assuming that of course everyone lives in Brooklyn. I can recommend a dry cleaner in my neighborhood, if you like. It's interesting, and a little sad, when people don't realize that not everyone is just like them.

Sorry for the digression, now back to the thread, looking for seminaries for Bais Yaakov girls.

I think “all” means all, and I love to hear about people from outside my community. I am looking for a highly academic, Bais Yaakov seminary for my daughter, but I’d love to hear about other types of seminaries, so if you have questions about them or would like to describe them, I think you are welcome to do so here, as well. (It says “all,” as you so rightly noted. . . )

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really meant it when I said "calling all mother's of twelfth graders". I listed the few seminaries that my daughter was considering, but I was hoping that others would chime in with where they were considering as well - all across the spectrum.

Ironically, while we are a yeshivish family, I do have a younger daughter who is taking a different derech than us, and when it's her turn in a couple of years, I'll likely be looking at more MO schools, so I have an interest in descriptions of those as well.

So, burlywood, if you're still following, what can you tell me about the seminaries on your radar?

I'm not burlywood, but here goes:

Migdal Oz and Lindenbaum feature serious gemara learning on a yeshiva schedule, including night seder. Although both have programs for Israelis, the girls in Lindenbaum are pretty much separate, while in Migdal Oz, the groups are deliberately mixed.

Nishmat - also lots of gemara, but girls can choose the Tanach track. Some mixing with the Israeli program.

Michlalah - heavy text study but no formal gemara, more of a charedi vibe. The Israelis are basically all there for teaching degrees.

The seminaries below are exclusively for girls from outside Israel:

Darchei Bina - yeshivish lite, less academic than Michlalah.

Harova - not that academic, nice girls. Obviously, location is a plus.

Amudim - still new and getting on its feet. Willing to take on girls struggling with religion.

Shaalvim for Women - for the MO girl looking to move rightward, great staff. Often hard to get in.

MMY - pretty similar to Shaalvim

That's what I know.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:26 am
My phone keeps freezing, and I have a typed a discriptive list multiple times, but I keep losing it. (Phone needs to be upgraded) In the interest of conveying information for those who are interested, google " YU S. Daniel Abraham Israel Program Guide to Israel Schools ". It will list all the schools they participate with (I assume most if not all the MO schools are covered) and if you click on the School, it provides a description.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:44 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
That is not true at all. My daughter did not struggle hashkafically and is an all around good girl .the reason why she went to pninim is because she struggled academically . Pninim is one of the few sems there are for girls who struggle academically .

I don’t understand why a girl struggling academically is always equated with someone who’s struggling hashkafically.

IT could be its changed. As of a few years ago it was for girls who were struggling hashkkfafically, dressing less tNiyus, listening to nonjewish music, going to town Thursday night. That's not a typical BY type of girl. That's considered struggling in the BY system if you are talking to boys.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics