Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you usually tell what background a poster is?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 6:53 am
tigerwife wrote:

I still have trouble finding posters who come from my kind of background.

Which is what?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 6:57 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Im not chassidish but think someone might be when they write kigel for kugel. Unless they hit the "I" accidentally Tongue Out

Not necessarily chassidish--could be just plain Hungarian or Galitzyaner.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 6:59 am
Live+Love wrote:
Ok. so you got the first part right on how to upload the image to imgur and you copied the [URL] address, all is good.
Now here comes a step you apparently skipped. instead of posting just the link, you need to click on "post image" copy it in that box and click okay.

Common, Let's try Wink

That should be "come on." But you knew that, right?

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:03 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
You are quite the English major!

Nope. An American buck private.

iluvy

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:17 am
This thread reminds me of this legendary comic

liveandlove.ima

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:21 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
That should be "come on." But you knew that, right?

oh come on, that's common sense.
So what? I'm the scapegoat here Can't Believe It

liveandlove.ima

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's that?

Original Thread
Spin-off

tigerwife

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:29 am
iluvy wrote:

ROTFL

tigerwife

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:31 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Which is what?

Neither here nor there, familiar with many “types” but can’t fit into a single “box”.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Intentional? Guess you'd need to be Chassidish to know about it.

Why are you bashing chasidim? You really think chasidim are not fluent/articulate in English? How many of us have degrees that many of you don't? How many of us have a job related to writing/speaking English?? Love how so many threads get derailed to bash us. You ppl are higher class, you the language better than us. I'll bow when I'll see you next.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 7:51 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Why are you bashing chasidim? You really think chasidim are not fluent/articulate in English? How many of us have degrees that many of you don't? How many of us have a job related to writing/speaking English?? Love how so many threads get derailed to bash us. You ppl are higher class, you the language better than us. I'll bow when I'll see you next.

I'm Chassidish and definitely do not have the best English and was 100% not bashing Chassidim.

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 8:44 am
iluvy wrote:

This is so me! TMI

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 8:46 am
zaq wrote:
Nope. An American buck private.

I was sure you’re an English major and Israeli (Ivrit speaking) buck private! LOL

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 9:25 am
I would think when writing it would be possible to duplicate another "type". In person it would be pretty hard without being an amazing actress. But when writing and having the time to pause and think should give many people the time to try to imitate another type.
Authors do that all the time, adjusting the speech to the location and time period they are writing about.

Interesting, no. I wonder how many here are faking their identity.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 9:31 am
I have to admit that I was actually surprised when I met a poster here IRL and I found out that she was Chassidish. Now before you bash me, this wasn't about spelling, grammar and punctuation (which plenty of people even in the secular world do not excel at), it was more about her not giving any clues about her background in her posts. Honestly I don't know why Chassidish posters try to hide the fact they're Chassidish (I'm not Chassidish so maybe that's why I don't understand). Why not be proud of who you are? Yes, you are more insular. Yes, you do things differently. Why the pretense? I don't understand.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I have to admit that I was actually surprised when I met a poster here IRL and I found out that she was Chassidish. Now before you bash me, this wasn't about spelling, grammar and punctuation (which plenty of people even in the secular world do not excel at), it was more about her not giving any clues about her background in her posts. Honestly I don't know why Chassidish posters try to hide the fact they're Chassidish (I'm not Chassidish so maybe that's why I don't understand). Why not be proud of who you are? Yes, you are more insular. Yes, you do things differently. Why the pretense? I don't understand.

I find this humorous.
Being chassidish is only one of the many things that define me. I am proud of being chassidish. I am also proud of my career but I don’t bring that into many of my posts because that’s irrelevant- just as being chassidish is usually irrelevant to what I write about.

Do you want me to start each post I write with a disclaimer?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 4:25 pm
pause wrote:
No, but if someone "is writing" and "are assuming" instead of "writes"/"wrote" and "assume", I'll go with Chassidish. No offense OP, but when it's obvious, it's obvious. Hiding

I disagree. Im frum/closer to yeshivish, I guess. I would write that way on an informal forum despite my background as an English teacher

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 4:32 pm
It's really nothing to do with grammatical errors.
For example, I read a post once where the poster said she was a BT from a secular background. But her phrasing was pretty obviously translated from Yiddish expressions and she used certain phrases that were grammatically correct but just wouldn't be used in speech or writing by someone who came from a non chassidish/yiddish speaking background. Very stilted and formal. (And she wasn't a non American, either, that would be an entirely different way of using English.)

penguin

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:07 pm
I am college-educated, although admittedly my degree is in science. I suppose that might make my opinions on proper writing somewhat suspect. However, I am considered a fairly good writer.

I am wondering what's incorrect or less than common American usage about "as a girl".

How else would I express, "As a girl I wore my hair in a ponytail, but when I got married I wore a bobbed wig."? True, it could be phrased "When I was single". Or perhaps the objection is to classifying all single women as "girls" when they may be young or mature women.

I await enlightenment from the Phraseology Committee.

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 02 2020, 5:18 pm
The answer is in the question. Literally.

“ Can you usually tell what background a poster is?”

This does not sound like proper English. It sounds like it’s translated English.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics