Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you usually tell what background a poster is?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:06 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I got it I just don’t want to derail this thread any longer! Todaraba! Yiyshar Kochach. A sheinem dank. Merci. Thank you.

You should open a new thread with that photo of yours, you know I've been waiting to see TMI

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:07 pm
Live+Love wrote:
You should open a new thread with that photo of yours, you know I've been waiting to see TMI

I posted it here for a minute then deleted. But if you want it that badly I’ll do it again. This is my dessert today.

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:09 pm
Only Chassidish posters say “as a girl” when referring to their single years. Kind of a translation from Yiddish.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:10 pm
zaq wrote:
if someone lives in a non English speaking country, they might spell Hebrew words in English differently based on how they think it would be spelled in English,

I think it's more likely that if someone's native tongue is not English, she would transliterate Hebrew or Yiddish words or misspell English words in a manner consistent with her native tongue. For example, someone once wrote to me that "the majer was a woman." At first I thought she meant a military officer with the rank of major. As this seemed like a bit of a non sequitur, I cast about for another explanation and came up with the Yiddish word 'macher' . In Spanish the 'j' is pronounced like "kh", and in the given context this interpretation made sense. She was clearly talking about a person of some prominence. But her native tongue being German, use of the 'J' for the "kh" sound did not make sense. The J in German is pronounced like a Y, and eventually I figured out that she meant that the mayor of the town was a woman.

You are quite the English major!

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:14 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I posted it here for a minute then deleted. But if you want it that badly I’ll do it again. This is my dessert today.

👍
I'll be right over to help. Seems like u could use an extra hand there Wink

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:16 pm
Live+Love wrote:
👍
I'll be right over to help. Seems like u could use an extra hand there Wink

You deserve it after all that teaching!

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:17 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:
Only Chassidish posters say “as a girl” when referring to their single years. Kind of a translation from Yiddish.

Or before transitioning to a... women LOL

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:23 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:

Yes, this. Can't think of other examples off the cuff right now, but it is usually either certain words or phrases that come off a bit stilted in English, rather than their spelling or grammar.

In another vein, sometimes posters describe themselves as being part of a specific community, only they get enough of the nuances wrong that it seems really doubtful. Like, they have a superficial grasp of it, but it comes across as an outsider's view and not an insider's.

liveandlove.ima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Yep but I don’t wanna say how I know 🙈

Perhaps a MOD? Admin? TMI

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:40 pm
pause wrote:
But sometimes that *is* the reality. People don't always remain in the communities in which they grew up, for example: BT, FTB, or a lateral switch to a different derech. These people are essentially outsiders looking in.

True, but I'm talking about posts where, for example, people claim to have grown up in a yeshivish family and community but so many details they post don't make sense, a lot of the nuances they describe are just off.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:20 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:

I wish I hadn't eaten fleishigs..... Drat!

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:22 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I wish I hadn't eaten fleishigs..... Drat!

How can someone frum hate potatoes??? What

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:24 pm
Didn’t read the whole thread, but yes I can usually tell.
Mainly can almost always spot if they’re Chassidish.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:53 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:

Maybe she made her username right after Pesach

giselle

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:08 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:

Overrated.. like ice cream...

keym

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:09 pm
giselle wrote:
Overrated.. like ice cream...

Punch Punch
Take! That! Back! Now!!!!!

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:11 pm
I like both equally. Hot potato kugel and cold ice cream

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:19 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:

I changed my username right before Pesach , 2 years ago I believe. I was hosting my MIL and her entire family, who barely eat anything besides...guess what? potatoes...

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:21 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I changed my username right before Pesach , 2 years ago I believe. I was hosting my MIL and her entire family, who barely eat anything besides...guess what? potatoes...

Was gonna have you check if you’re even human but then I saw your avatar and relaxed! Laugh

silverlining3

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:31 pm
I'm dumbfounded. By this thread and the thread linked-where the op was banned.
Some of you have that 6th sense which I clearly DON'T have.

When I post anonymous, I don't think so much that people shouldn't figure out my background (I think there's enough of all walks on here) but rather shouldn't figure out who I really am, aka, my sn, by my writing style. Though I'm not sure I'm successful. Ha

I think I write very simple and don't alter so much under anon, making it easy to be identified. Or I'm simply self conscious. Haha don't mind me
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics