Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O Not driving because impractical/can't get license etc.
Previous  1  2

Non-drivers, why don't you drive?
Women in my community don't drive.  
 20%  [ 33 ]
I never got around to getting a license.  
 5%  [ 9 ]
I can't for a medical reason.  
 1%  [ 3 ]
I couldn't pass the license exam.  
 1%  [ 2 ]
I have a phobia of driving.  
 13%  [ 21 ]
It's more convenient to walk or take the bus (or some other alternative).  
 3%  [ 6 ]
I used to drive, but I hated it.  
 4%  [ 8 ]
Other  
 4%  [ 7 ]
I actually do drive, but I wanted to participate in this poll anyway.  
 44%  [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 161

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:51 am
I have my license but don’t drive because I live in Brooklyn and work from home. My husband has the car all day and it’s not cost effective or necessary to have a second car.
If I would live somewhere else, I would definitely want to get back into driving.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:43 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
A good psychiatrist could help you.

A psychiatrist prescribes medication. Do you mean a psychologist ?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:46 pm
Someone let me know when a license in Israel doesn't involve;

1. 26 lessons
2. 6 months to year waiting list for a driving teacher
3. Doesn't cost as much as a monthly salary
4. The israeli testers stop failing people 3-5 times over dumb things like "Stopping when the light turned orange and not being assertive enough because you could totally go through an orange light. Fail"
5. Cars and gas aren't freakishly expensive.

DH has a license. We rent a car every one in a while to get out and away.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:09 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Someone let me know when a license in Israel doesn't involve;

1. 26 lessons
2. 6 months to year waiting list for a driving teacher
3. Doesn't cost as much as a monthly salary
4. The israeli testers stop failing people 3-5 times over dumb things like "Stopping when the light turned orange and not being assertive enough because you could totally go through an orange light. Fail"
5. Cars and gas aren't freakishly expensive.

DH has a license. We rent a car every one in a while to get out and away.

Yup, outside of the USA it can be really difficult to get a license. I must have spent thousands on lessons, permits and so on until I finally passed a test in Europe on my 4th or 5th try. I had a US one which was easy enough to pass but its not transferable, and once that expired I was unable to drive for a few years until I took lessons, waited for a test (6 months at least), failed, took lessons and waited again and again and again...finally I passed. But my license is only valid for automatic cars...if I want to drive a manual I would have to retake the test! Weirdly on my US license it didn't specify so I was allowed to drive a manual on that.

Also a common phenomonon here is zip cars...rental cars that are parked all over the city and you can rent by the hour via an app. So a lot of people here don't own a car but rent one when needed.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:11 pm
I gladly drive backroads. Unknown places are not a problem-but I like a visual map, I can't stand Waze. Don't like steep hills, where I feel like the car is going to roll-but is better with a car than a minivan. I am a slow driver and I don't drive highways. I will drive a County Road, I like traffic lights, and the highway up in the county.
For anyone in NJ area, I will not drive on route 80, but Route 46 is awesome and I will drive from Woodbury commons to the Catskills. The idea of driving over the GW Bridge and and going through the toll plaza is terrifying.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:44 pm
Raisin wrote:
Yup, outside of the USA it can be really difficult to get a license. I must have spent thousands on lessons, permits and so on until I finally passed a test in Europe on my 4th or 5th try. I had a US one which was easy enough to pass but its not transferable, and once that expired I was unable to drive for a few years until I took lessons, waited for a test (6 months at least), failed, took lessons and waited again and again and again...finally I passed. But my license is only valid for automatic cars...if I want to drive a manual I would have to retake the test! Weirdly on my US license it didn't specify so I was allowed to drive a manual on that.

Also a common phenomonon here is zip cars...rental cars that are parked all over the city and you can rent by the hour via an app. So a lot of people here don't own a car but rent one when needed.

Exactly - if me and DH ever have enough money for a car than I would probably be able to afford getting a license and totally do it. Since we don't have a car there's really no reason to spend 6000 shekels getting a license when DH has one and we only rent for a few days a year.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:53 pm
I didn't drive for a very long time. I had failed my drivers test twice and my self confidence plummeted and I couldn't bring myself to try again. I felt horrible for failing and I felt horrible for not being able to drive and always inconveniencing my family. But when I was pregnant with #4 I knew I had no choice because we would finally outgrow a taxi and needed some way for our whole family to get around (dh doesn't drive, either). So I got my act together, swallowed my fear and went for it. I was 38. It was the best thing ever. Now I've had my license for a couple of years and I love driving and it's made such a huge difference for my family, life is so much easier for us now.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:54 pm
I do drive and have to drive to get to my job as I live in a rural place in Israel with not too much public transportation.
But I have a phobia of driving in areas that I don't know extremely well. So every time I have to go to a conference somewhere far away or to an appointment for the children in some city or visit someone who lives somewhere else, I freak out and spend the 2-3 days ahead planning and re-planning the route on google maps and waze. I still often get lost and usually arrive late and with deodorant failure from the stress. Hiding
If I could reasonably go by bus or train, I would.

However, one good thing about Corona, if I may say so: Zoom conferences! Much less driving this past year!

IsraeliSoul

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:03 pm
My grandma is terrified of driving and when she wanted to get license and had to take the road test, as soon as the car started to move she jumped out and never went back to the driver’s seat ever since.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics