Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you allow your children to watch the movie Home Alone?
Previous  1  2

shoshana2

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:43 pm
As a rule we only let our kids watch Rated G non Jewish movies. There is enough secular garbage that my kids are exposed to anyway, I'd rather not willingly bring in possible garbage into our home .

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:44 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I never saw the third one so I can’t speak to that. The first two are the classics.

It's #4, I edited my post. 3 & 4 are a different cast.
1 & 2 aren't s-xual but the language isn't so clean. I don't need my kids to hear and repeat "keep the change you filthy animal".....

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 8:50 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
It's #4, I edited my post. 3 & 4 are a different cast.
1 & 2 aren't s-xual but the language isn't so clean. I don't need my kids to hear and repeat "keep the change you filthy animal".....

Yeah I don’t like that scene. 😬 as I said the whole thing is a bit violent for my taste, but I don’t remember being disturbed as a kid. My kids haven’t seen it (yet? We’ll see)

mommyla

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:23 pm
I also just rewatched it recently and couldn't believe that my parents had let me watch it when I was young (like 7-8?) LOL It also had some language that I wouldn't appreciate my kids repeating. Forget "keep the change, you filthy animal" there's a lot of "hell" thrown around and maybe "darn" (not sure about that one).

ETA: thank you imamother filter, that was "d@mn" not "darn" LOL

estherj

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
The only thing that bothers me is the crude way the family talks to each other. Kid calling his mother "dummy" uncle calling his nephew a jerk, etc. Vulgar language.
I really wouldn't want young impressionable kids hearing that and thinking its ok. But the violence is so slapstick that it really isn't a big deal imo.
As far as xmas songs...if your kid goes to the local grocery store in December, he will be hearing them, too.

Except he won’t have the nostalgic feelings for the song that I do because of the movie.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:51 pm
estherj wrote:
Except he won’t have the nostalgic feelings for the song that I do because of the movie.

I guess I'm older than you. I have nostalgic feelings for Xmas songs not because of any movies but because when I was a kid in the 80s, our family winter motzei shabbos excursion was going to the mall. Where Xmas music and decorations were the rule. (Where my parents took us rather than have us stay home and watch movies, lol.)
Gives me a cozy feeling to this day. Nothing that I feel guilty abt in the slightest, either.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:55 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I guess I'm older than you. I have nostalgic feelings for Xmas songs not because of any movies but because when I was a kid in the 80s, our family winter motzei shabbos excursion was going to the mall. Where Xmas music and decorations were the rule. (Where my parents took us rather than have us stay home and watch movies, lol.)
Gives me a cozy feeling to this day. Nothing that I feel guilty abt in the slightest, either.

Many people don't take their kids to malls around holiday time. And seeing and hearing things outside of the home is different than bringing it into the home.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Many people don't take their kids to malls around holiday time. And seeing and hearing things outside of the home is different than bringing it into the home.

Those are usually the type that don't watch movies at all, anyway, so what's the question?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:59 pm
Just from the title, never!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:05 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Those are usually the type that don't watch movies at all, anyway, so what's the question?

Not necessarily. They go to malls, just not holiday time. They may watch movies, but not x-mas movies.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:06 pm
No

pause

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I watched it as a seven year old I think and found it scary. That's the only thing I remember about it. I would probably allow my 11 year old to watch it but the younger ones in my family would probably find it scary like I did Very Happy Nothing else really concerns me about it.

This is what I wanted to say. I remember being traumatized by it and being afraid to be home alone with an adult babysitter after watching only parts of it (because I left the room when it got too scary).

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:44 pm
I’m probably the only person in the world who didn’t watch home alone. For some reason my mom was anti this particular movie. 🤷‍♀️
I did watch the third one though. Just not the originals with mcauly kulkin.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:48 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I’m probably the only person in the world who didn’t watch home alone. For some reason my mom was anti this particular movie. 🤷‍♀️
I did watch the third one though. Just not the originals with mcauly kulkin.

The 3rd one has the least bad language of all and basically nothing s-xual.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:31 pm
Omg, it's so scary. I could still have nightmares from it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 12:48 am
One of my favorites, hands down. But yes, as others said, when rewatching as an adult, was shocked by the intensely mean, rude, and vulgar things the family said to each other.

And to a kid under ten, the scenes with the robbers getting beat up by Kevin's booby-traps are probably going to be scary.

I think your husband probably remembered the movie with the same nostalgia as the rest of us, and totally did not remember the parts that were in poor taste.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics