Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ds claims his day is too long in cheider...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Thank you for clarifying. I understand. My child’s pre-1a incorporates lots of play. Perhaps that’s why it’s not that difficult

Girls pre 1A is also different than boys pre 1A. Girls have more playtime & their day is more exciting.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:41 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Right. Kita alef is more serious learning and also discipline, some places have hitting already and kids are sitting in one place learning all day.

You had me at HITTING

Well if there’s corporal punishment (?!?!?!?!?!?!?!) no wonder it’s not where he wants to be all day

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:43 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Right. Kita alef is more serious learning and also discipline, some places have hitting already and kids are sitting in one place learning all day.

Five year old boys sitting in one place learning all day and being hit by the rebbi. Sounds like just the place every boy will grow to love learning.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:45 pm
You had me at HITTING

Well if there’s corporal punishment (?!?!?!?!?!?!?!) no wonder it’s not where he wants to be all day

This is really not the norm or common practice at all. Hitting in general isn't tolerated in most chedarim.
Kittah alef isn't as serious as the older grades. They do have less play time as they learning to transition to big boy schedule, so it takes time for the boys to get used to. Kitah alef boys sometimes have a shorter day than pre 1 a girls.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Five year old boys sitting in one place learning all day and being hit by the rebbi. Sounds like just the place every boy will grow to love learning.

Please don't think this is common or normal.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:06 pm
Huh?!? Hitting and sitting in one spot all day? There is something very wrong with the picture you are describing. This is like a throwback of 50 years where we were lacking in understanding chinuch and child development.
I would never put my son in such a a cheder.
This is sad that such chedorim still exist nowadays.
Crying

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Huh?!? Hitting and sitting in one spot all day? There is something very wrong with the picture you are describing. This is like a throwback of 50 years where we were lacking in understanding chinuch and child development.
I would never put my son in such a a cheder.
This is sad that such chedorim still exist nowadays.
Crying

Please don't believe it, it's not true.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:10 pm
It’s all what you’re used to. My 5 year old BH is used to full time daycare. Her day now (9-4:30. We use after care because I think getting out at 3:15 is too early for her) is shorter then it’s ever been her entire life. But your son is used to a shorter day so I think many of the suggestions and validation you’re getting are helpful

Sorry, but it’s much better for all kids to get out earlier. (Assuming the home is stable and loving and a nurturing environment)
I’m not sure why you think it’s a positive that your child is “ used to” her long day. After care should only be utilized when a parent is truly in a predicament with their work schedule and absolutely can’t get their kid on time. Please don’t put your kid in after care voluntarily because it’s “ good” for her and she is “ used” to it. It’s healthy for a kid to come home and have a snack shmuz with a parent and have free time to relax in a unstructured environment.
I’m sorry if this came across harsh I just think it’s important that you realize this.
Good luck!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Phew! Wink

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:20 pm
Hitting?????? No. No no. No no no. I would NOT put my son in that cheder! What mother wants to see her kid crying home from school after being hit by a rebbi?????????????

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:23 pm
Sorry, but it’s much better for all kids to get out earlier. (Assuming the home is stable and loving and a nurturing environment)
I’m not sure why you think it’s a positive that your child is “ used to” her long day. After care should only be utilized when a parent is truly in a predicament with their work schedule and absolutely can’t get their kid on time. Please don’t put your kid in after care voluntarily because it’s “ good” for her and she is “ used” to it. It’s healthy for a kid to come home and have a snack shmuz with a parent and have free time to relax in a unstructured environment.
I’m sorry if this came across harsh I just think it’s important that you realize this.
Good luck!

This. My niece is 3 years old. They start at 8:45 & finish at 2:45. They have extended hours till 4 for working mothers & my sis n law, that's a SAHM, leaves her daughter in school till 4 because "I don't have patience to deal with her and entertain her." A 3 year old! She's out of the house from 8:30 till 4:15, because her mom doesn't have patience to deal with her, insanity!

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:24 pm
Is this really a boys issue? My mother tells me that when I was in first grade and was staying in school until 4:15 instead of 2:00, I would go to the nurse every single day with a different ailment to call home just because I really was too drained.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:26 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Is this really a boys issue? My mother tells me that when I was in first grade and was staying in school until 4:15 instead of 2:00, I would go to the nurse every single day with a different ailment to call home just because I really was too drained.

It's definitely an issue for girls as well. My 2nd grade DD can't handle her long day & both my girls can't handle the 50 minute bus ride. They come home so koo koo.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:26 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
This. My niece is 3 years old. They start at 8:45 & finish at 2:45. They have extended hours till 4 for working mothers & my sis n law, that's a SAHM, leaves her daughter in school till 4 because "I don't have patience to deal with her and entertain her." A 3 year old! She's out of the house from 8:30 till 4:15, because her mom doesn't have patience to deal with her, insanity!

That’s truly sad Crying

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:36 pm
Good luck!

We do all that: we have a snack and shmooze when I pick her up from aftercare. Having a newborn BH means I’m out in maternity leave and not only will I need the after care when I go back gd Willing but being home in my small apartment with a newborn is not more fun for her than being with friends in a vast playroom for aftercare. Than you for condescendingly Telling me what’s best for my child but I feel 1.5 hours of play time at home before dinner and another hour after dinner is more than enough and disagree that she needs more time at home In the evening than that. But since I don’t know anything about your life I’ll refrain from giving my 2 cents

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:37 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

We don't know where OP sends her kid to cheder. It's not true in all but is the reality in some. Everywhere it is more serious than preschool.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:38 pm
I think a long bus ride on top of a long day is very hard for most kids.

behappy2

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:44 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
But why must the day be so long for that kid his age? My mothers heart says all kids needs a break once in a while!! To play around, be children! They’re only children for like 10% of their lives.

I think the boys schools give longer breaks during the day, but yes for many kids it's too much.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:44 pm
We do all that: we have a snack and shmooze when I pick her up from aftercare. Having a newborn BH means I’m out in maternity leave and not only will I need the after care when I go back gd Willing but being home in my small apartment with a newborn is not more fun for her than being with friends in a vast playroom for aftercare. Than you for condescendingly Telling me what’s best for my child but I feel 1.5 hours of play time at home before dinner and another hour after dinner is more than enough and disagree that she needs more time at home In the evening than that. But since I don’t know anything about your life I’ll refrain from giving my 2 cents

No need to get so defensive. It’s truly difficult with a newborn and Mazel Tov! It’s important to understand that it’s really not the best for the kids to go to aftercare and ideally much better to go home. Take this from an educator for many years and a mom of many BH. If it’s a a necessity then what can you do. A lot of decisions we make in life aren’t ideal and that’s ok. It’s just good to realize that it isn’t ideal for many reasons and if your ever able to have her come home right away that’s much better.
Good luck and good Shabbos!

behappy2

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:51 pm
No need to get so defensive. It’s truly difficult with a newborn and Mazel Tov! It’s important to understand that it’s really not the best for the kids to go to aftercare and ideally much better to go home. Take this from an educator for many years and a mom of many BH. If it’s a a necessity then what can you do. A lot of decisions we make in life aren’t ideal and that’s ok. It’s just good to realize that it isn’t ideal for many reasons and if your ever able to have her come home right away that’s much better.
Good luck and good Shabbos!

Some kids do really well in a structured environment with friends and a loving Morah, more so than at home.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics