Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What are you using for Hamotzi on Shabbos before Pesach?
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:30 am
Are people in America really eating challah on the porch in the dark on Friday night? It will be around 30 degrees! You’re making it sound like it will be 70 degrees warm.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:47 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Are people in America really eating challah on the porch in the dark on Friday night? It will be around 30 degrees! You’re making it sound like it will be 70 degrees warm.

We’ll be eating outside for 2-3 days while getting ready for pesach. We do it every year in coats. Nothing will happen. Yesterday and today were actually gorgeous weather. Who knows.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:51 am
My LOR said use egg matza.

no challa or pita - he said it's a big concern with the crumbs and the plumbers LOVE when we flush bread down the toilet, they get big $$$ for our mistake

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 9:17 am
According to ashkenazic poskim, how many egg matzohs does one have to eat in order to bench? I know it’s not just 1matzoh because one is mezonos. In order to wash and bench it has to be a few matzohs but I don’t remember how many. For those planning on eating one matzah you’re not being mekayem hamotzie -washing/benching

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 9:20 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Most people have porch lights. You wear a coat. No big deal.

baltomom

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 9:22 am
We're using plain bagels--very few crumbs. We'll make to have the correct shiur for each person and that's it.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 9:59 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
According to ashkenazic poskim, how many egg matzohs does one have to eat in order to bench? I know it’s not just 1matzoh because one is mezonos. In order to wash and bench it has to be a few matzohs but I don’t remember how many. For those planning on eating one matzah you’re not being mekayem hamotzie -washing/benching

I think if it’s part of a meal - one.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 10:07 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I think if it’s part of a meal - one.

Where did you get that from? Every place I read about egg matzah it said a few...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

It’s not 30 degrees everywhere in America. It’s been really nice out here in California. It’s probably nice in Florida and other places too.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 11:10 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
It’s not 30 degrees everywhere in America. It’s been really nice out here in California. It’s probably nice in Florida and other places too.

Very true! Oh well... I’m in NJ - gets very cold at night

Chang

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 11:37 am
Hashemlovesme1 wrote:
Pita- we found that it makes less crumbs than challah

Same. We always do pita on the last Shabbos before pesach

professor

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 1:32 pm
imasinger wrote:
Challah rolls on the porch. I'm doing my last big baking today (challah rolls, bagels, pizza dough) then cleaning and putting away the bread machine.

Make sure they aren't crispy. We can't afford crumbs this year. (I love crispy challah)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 4:26 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

If the little ones are up, then yes we stand outside and get it over with. I will already have my counter covers, tablecloth, crockpot on for pesach and I don't want crumbs anywhere. 30 degrees or not, the temperature won't matter.

SHS

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 4:49 pm
We also eat Pita as there are almost no crumbs

Jenmom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

lol I was going to say, I live in the deep south and it's been very pleasant here the last 2 weeks finally

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:25 am
Jenmom wrote:
lol I was going to say, I live in the deep south and it's been very pleasant here the last 2 weeks finally

Last night was in the 20’s! Even in the 40’s it’s freezing to go out to eat at night. What if it’s raining? Then what is everyone going to do?
Our rav told us that if one starts the meal outside and comes in to continue, he still has to eat a kzayis of challah inside!!! He said egg matzah can be used for indoor kzayis.
People only using egg matzah should know that according to r’ moshe Feinstein ztl, 2 kzaysim are needed for hamotzie since it’s really mezonos

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Last night was in the 20’s! Even in the 40’s it’s freezing to go out to eat at night. What if it’s raining? Then what is everyone going to do?
Our rav told us that if one starts the meal outside and comes in to continue, he still has to eat a kzayis of challah inside!!! He said egg matzah can be used for indoor kzayis.
People only using egg matzah should know that according to r’ moshe Feinstein ztl, 2 kzaysim are needed for hamotzie since it’s really mezonos

I actually learned from Rorie Weisberg (@fullnfree on instagram) that on Shabbos/YT, you ALWAYS need to eat 2 kzaysim to fulfill the bracha of "al netilas yadayim" when you wash.

1 matza board = 2 kzaysim. I think 2 oz of bread is one kzayis.

My DH wants to eat bagels AT OUR TABLE - he wants to put out a special tablecloth just for hamotzie, eat the bagels, then clean it up. I think he's crazy but that solves the whole indoor/outdoor dilemma because the truth is that you do need to eat your challah where you eat your meal.

Our LOR said the best thing to do is use Matzah Ashira (egg matzah) for Ashkenazim.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 1:07 pm
If you make kiddush and hamotzi outside, then eat the rest of the meal inside, where are you supposed to bentch?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

A rav said 1 1/2 egg matzah and make sure it doesn't touch or go into anything hot so no putting in soup. He said it could become chometz.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics