Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds diagnosed with diabetes
Previous  1  2

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 1:25 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My daughter has Type 1 diabetes and is b"h doing very well. Over the years, I've met many parents who have children with T1D and my daughter knows even more . Unfortunately, I've heard of many, many such "flukes," meaning that I know quite a few kids who have a parent with T1D and many siblings and cousins too. I don't know what the criteria a disease has to have for it to be labeled hereditary, but so many cases can not be considered a fluke.

I don't know anything abt type 1 diabetes. I'm taking this info from what she said on her page. She was bombarded with messages that it's hereditary and she was so offended.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 1:46 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My daughter has Type 1 diabetes and is b"h doing very well. Over the years, I've met many parents who have children with T1D and my daughter knows even more . Unfortunately, I've heard of many, many such "flukes," meaning that I know quite a few kids who have a parent with T1D and many siblings and cousins too. I don't know what the criteria a disease has to have for it to be labeled hereditary, but so many cases can not be considered a fluke.

I’m a type 1 diabetic myself. It has lots of factors and genes are only a very small percentage. From all the pple I know only one person has an immediate relative , not even her parent. 95% of the time it happens wo family history.

There are some very nice WhatsApp groups where you can find other parents of children with diabetes. My first advise is to get the Dexcom then a pump.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 7:10 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I’m a type 1 diabetic myself. It has lots of factors and genes are only a very small percentage. From all the pple I know only one person has an immediate relative , not even her parent. 95% of the time it happens wo family history.

There are some very nice WhatsApp groups where you can find other parents of children with diabetes. My first advise is to get the Dexcom then a pump.

Allysa son got the Dexcom. She said it changed their quality of life immensely.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 7:45 am
gonna third that regarding the dexcom. Total game changer

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 8:39 am
I hear the pump is only approved by insurance after three months, is there any way to expedite that? Also what a dexcom- a glucose monitor?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear the pump is only approved by insurance after three months, is there any way to expedite that? Also what a dexcom- a glucose monitor?

Nope they wait for body to regulate and be under control.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
yes, a continuous monitor that alerts you if levels are off

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This depends on the practice. I’ve seen newly diagnosed who got their pumps a week after. If the doctor feels strongly about it he will help you obtain in right away.

sigree

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 9:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Dexcom is the best! It lets you see trends in glucose levels so that you can catch a high before it’s very high and catch a low before it’s very low. With finger prickigg you only know the levels at the time you prick so it’s hard to know if he’s rising or falling. With dexcom he would wear a latch that transmits glucose readings to your phone every five minutes. You can see your kids blood sugars while he is in school etc and other family members can watch also. It’s easier to see how certain foods affect him and how much insulin he has to take. If you’re in Brooklyn I’d be happy to help you out. Or if you want to text or anything - there’s so much support. Once you know one T1D, you start realizing how many there are. Of course it’s a huge disappointment in some ways but there is a strong community out there

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 27 2021, 12:54 pm
hey, im a shadow to a T1D girl from age 1.5 .im with her since shes 2 in nursery till now, shes five and in pre1a. she has a dexcom (here in israel we call it a sensor) on her arm and theres a small phone-like object (like the above poster said) it tells what her blood sugar level is and if the sugars going up or down or if its steady. it gives a warning when it gets low or high(the parents put in on 200 for high and 80 for low) she also has a 'pod' an isulin pump on her lower back or thigh. BH she is the sweetest smartest little girl I know her age. she recently started feeling on her own body and can sometimes tell me when shes feeling weak and needs sugar (the parents have her backpack with a bottle of juice and cups at all times) and she gets half a cup of juice when that happens. she is very VERY active, she climbs and jumps and a little wild one really- which is great when her sugar is high, but when it isnt I need to keep my eyes on the sensor (dexcom) to see whats happening.
I know at first it was a terrible blow to the girls parents. and it wasnt easy at all. but Hashem sends great shlichim to help along the way. it gets easier with time. at first youll need to know how much carbs everything is worth in order to calculate the insulin, if you are working with a dietician she can reallly help you. its hard but its not unmanageable. may Hashem give you and ur husband tremendous kochot me'al hateva !
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics