Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How on earth do the Israelis keep up.
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 3:49 am
As an Israeli of several generations, married to an Israeli, with very Israeli kids, I'm going to comment.

There are some inaccuracies on this thread. First of all, Israelis don't take public transportation everywhere, and they are not all out walking. We own on average 394 cars per 1000 people (and that includes kids), so most people do have at least one car per family. All my colleagues either drive to work or carpool with other colleagues.
I do take the train often, but only because it's more convenient than the car. As chancy said, the last time I took a bus was when abroad. I live in a medium sized city in Israel.

Second, we do consume dairy in Israel. Around 170 litres of milk per person a year. (Not sure how much is consumed in the States). However, much of that is not in the form of milk, but rather cheeses and yoghurt. You will never see an Israeli parent giving their child a glass of plain milk to drink. My personal theory is that the US puts some sort of hormones in the milk, and that's what causes their children to be oversize.

Third, I know this was said tongue in cheek, but most of Israel doesn't run to the bomb shelter most of the time. What happened over the past week was an anomaly in our history and hopefully will remain so.

Fourth, unfortunately many many Israelis are not at all makpid to stay out of the sun, certainly not the young ones. My teens and young adult children all think it's perfectly normal to go to the beach at 2 p.m. no matter how much I rant about staying out of the sun. The beaches are a lot more crowded then that at 6 pm, when I go.

Are Israelis more beautiful? I know some people think so. It's not their body type though. They may be thinner than Americans, but as others have said, that's because Americans are overweight, not because Israelis are thin. (And as someone mentioned, this is changing among Israeli children. You do see quite a few overweight ones).
I know Israeli women always laugh at their body type compared to Northern European women. We have bigger hips and thighs, and just aren't as graceful and tall and thin.

Personally, I think Israelis look good due to confidence and joie de vive.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:16 am
Which woman are you looking at and who are you comparing them to?
Are you comparing the tel aviv beach scene to your PTA get together?
In all honesty when I compare similiar groups in Israel and in the US I don't see that much of a difference.
IF there is any difference it is probably due to a diet that is not as plentiful.
Kiddush in shul, if ever, is unboxed cookies served on pretty plates with some coke and gukky pink drink that nobody likes anyways.
Shabbos morning meal is basically cholent and not a ton of meat boards, nutty salads and various courses.
Kids take a bag of generic cookies to school for snack and call it a day.
Lunch is a big meal, but not always meaty.
Its perfectly normal to have a big gvina levana and chumus (or chocolate spread)in the fridge for morning sandwiches and thats it for that month!
Afternoons are spend running around outside with neighbors and supper is basically omelets with salad (and more gvina levana)
BUT, to me it seems like the kids are all shorter than their peers in the states. So it might be a tradeoff and israeli kids might not be reaching their full growth potential.

etky

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:18 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
As an Israeli of several generations, married to an Israeli, with very Israeli kids, I'm going to comment.

There are some inaccuracies on this thread. First of all, Israelis don't take public transportation everywhere, and they are not all out walking. We own on average 394 cars per 1000 people (and that includes kids), so most people do have at least one car per family. All my colleagues either drive to work or carpool with other colleagues.
I do take the train often, but only because it's more convenient than the car. As chancy said, the last time I took a bus was when abroad. I live in a medium sized city in Israel.

Second, we do consume dairy in Israel. Around 170 litres of milk per person a year. (Not sure how much is consumed in the States). However, much of that is not in the form of milk, but rather cheeses and yoghurt. You will never see an Israeli parent giving their child a glass of plain milk to drink. My personal theory is that the US puts some sort of hormones in the milk, and that's what causes their children to be oversize.

Third, I know this was said tongue in cheek, but most of Israel doesn't run to the bomb shelter most of the time. What happened over the past week was an anomaly in our history and hopefully will remain so.

Fourth, unfortunately many many Israelis are not at all makpid to stay out of the sun, certainly not the young ones. My teens and young adult children all think it's perfectly normal to go to the beach at 2 p.m. no matter how much I rant about staying out of the sun. The beaches are a lot more crowded then that at 6 pm, when I go.

Are Israelis more beautiful? I know some people think so. It's not their body type though. They may be thinner than Americans, but as others have said, that's because Americans are overweight, not because Israelis are thin. (And as someone mentioned, this is changing among Israeli children. You do see quite a few overweight ones).
I know Israeli women always laugh at their body type compared to Northern European women. We have bigger hips and thighs, and just aren't as graceful and tall and thin.

Personally, I think Israelis look good due to confidence and joie de vive.

They do like their shoko though Wink
And yes, Israelis eat tons of dairy in the form of yogurts, puddings, soft white cheeses and hard yellow cheese. It's a real mainstay of many people's diets here.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:34 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Which woman are you looking at and who are you comparing them to?
Are you comparing the tel aviv beach scene to your PTA get together?
In all honesty when I compare similiar groups in Israel and in the US I don't see that much of a difference.
IF there is any difference it is probably due to a diet that is not as plentiful.
Kiddush in shul, if ever, is unboxed cookies served on pretty plates with some coke and gukky pink drink that nobody likes anyways.
Shabbos morning meal is basically cholent and not a ton of meat boards, nutty salads and various courses.
Kids take a bag of generic cookies to school for snack and call it a day.
Lunch is a big meal, but not always meaty.
Its perfectly normal to have a big gvina levana and chumus (or chocolate spread)in the fridge for morning sandwiches and thats it for that month!
Afternoons are spend running around outside with neighbors and supper is basically omelets with salad (and more gvina levana)
BUT, to me it seems like the kids are all shorter than their peers in the states. So it might be a tradeoff and israeli kids might not be reaching their full growth potential.

I love how everybody describes their particular micro-environment and generalizes to the entire population.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:39 am
DrMom wrote:
I love how everybody describes their particular micro-environment and generalizes to the entire population.

I was also thinking this.

Though I agree that life here is generally less extravagant than in America.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:40 am
I don't think anyone would argue about Israelis being thinner than Americans, but I don't find it at all true that most Israelis are thin. IME most middle aged Israelis are a little overweight, and most middle aged Americans are fat.

On average, Israeli diet is better than American, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the average Israeli diet is *healthy*. A significant portion of Israelis do consider a cucumber and a tomato to be breakfast though, so there's that.

IMO Americans usually look a lot younger than Israelis, probably because of less sun. Israelis have a healthier diet which helps their skin look healthy, but the sun makes it look older. It's not uncommon to see 18, 19, 20 year old Israelis with wrinkles, and by 25 most do. It doesn't mean they're not pretty, but they look older.

Many if not most IDF positions don't get you in shape at all. If you want to be kravi (combat) you're in shape to start out with. Being a jobnic won't get you in shape at all, and basic training for jobniks isn't very physical and only lasts 3 weeks.

Public transportation is terrible in Israel if you are a young pretty woman. If you take public transportation you might stay in shape by slapping the hands of the perverts trying to molest you (btdt)🤮🤮🤮🤮

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:47 am
DrMom wrote:

True!
That is why I want to know which beauties OP is reffering to. In my neiborhood woman are health minded and you see plenty of runners of all genders (although not all are thin with flawless skin Rolling Eyes but down the road you have 25 year olds with 6 kids Ke"H and I wonder if OP is really speaking about them.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:48 am
Elfrida wrote:
I was also thinking this.

Though I agree that life here is generally less extravagant than in America.
\
Yes, of course, and that can be inferred from actual statistics like avg household income, avg household size, cost of living indices, etc.

But these generalizations like "we mostly eat cholent for lunch" and "kiddush is cookies and gkky pink drinks" are just not true for so many sectors of he population.

What is true is that *overall*, Israelis consume more fruits and vegetables on a daily basis than their US counterparts. (This article contains actual stats):

https://www.haaretz.com/israel.....96282

Anyhow, we don't know which Israelis OP saw when she came to her conclusion. Was she strolling along the Tel Aviv waterfront? Lots of hot single 20-somethings, so yeah, they will probably look thinner and more beautiful than those in her PTA group with jobs homes and 5 kids each.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:49 am
jerusalem90 wrote:

Public transportation is terrible in Israel if you are a young pretty woman. If you take public transportation you might stay in shape by slapping the hands of the perverts trying to molest you (btdt)🤮🤮🤮🤮

I think that's another generalisation. Maybe I was never pretty enough, but I've lived here since I was twenty (and single) and I've never owned a car. I use public transport all the time, and this has never been a problem. I can't think of any occasion that even came close.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, May 26 2021, 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

etky

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:52 am
Elfrida wrote:
Maybe I was never pretty enough, but I've lived here since I was twenty (and single) and I've never owned a car. I use public transport all the time, and this has never been a problem. I can't think of any occasion that even came close.

My young and pretty DD's also take public transport all the time and have never had this happen to them. Manspreading though is an issue Wink

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 4:54 am
DrMom wrote:

But these generalizations like "we mostly eat cholent for lunch" and "kiddush is cookies and gkky pink drinks" are just not true for so many sectors of he population.

What is true is that *overall*, Israelis consume more fruits and vegetables on a daily basis than their US counterparts. (This article contains actual stats):

https://www.haaretz.com/israel.....96282

Anyhow, we don't know which Israelis OP saw when she came to her conclusion. Was she strolling along the Tel Aviv waterfront? Lots of hot single 20-somethings, so yeah, they will probably look thinner and more beautiful than those in her PTA group with jobs homes and 5 kids each.

Obviously menus will vary based on income and culture. I was trying to be sarcastic.
In general people have different eating habits in every country you visit.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:02 am
etky wrote:
My young and pretty DD's also take public transport all the time and have never had this happen to them. Manspreading though is an issue Wink

Same exact experience with my teen/young adult dds.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:08 am
I lived in a certain upscale city for a while and kiddushim were VERY fancy.
It all depends on the socio-economic area you live in. Also in hashkafa maybe.
I live in a regular middle class area now, and either there is no kiddush or a very nice one. Certainly nothing crummy like described above.

Israel is full of millions of types.

I do agree with those that said you need to compare type to type. Compare young 20s on the beach to young 20s in LA on the beach. Compare upper-class north Tel Aviv types to upper class Manhattan types. Compare struggling women with 9 children to the same in the states. Etc.

I do think Israelis look good, but it's all attitude. Which we have in buckets Smile

Rappel

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:12 am
The only firm conclusion I have from this thread: Jerusalem90 must be stunning, and she should share some of the male attention around LOL for myself, as soon as I put on a mitpachat I gained untouchable status, and I find I'm treated with respect and courtesy and care wherever I go.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:27 am
Rappel wrote:
The only firm conclusion I have from this thread: Jerusalem90 must be stunning, and she should share some of the male attention around LOL for myself, as soon as I put on a mitpachat I gained untouchable status, and I find I'm treated with respect and courtesy and care wherever I go.

I have never covered my hair and did not experience zxual harassment on buses in my youth. Neither do my single dds, at least nothing I've ever heard about. They would definitely have told me if someone groped them.
I don't think being groped on buses here is a common experience.

Rappel

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:31 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I have never covered my hair and did not experience zxual harassment on buses in my youth. Neither do my single dds, at least nothing I've ever heard about. They would definitely have told me if someone groped them.

Exactly. I guess my point was that we're treated with respect here. I'm sure there must be a few odd old men wandering the buses and accosting women, but isn't that true everywhere? It's definitely not definitive of Israeli society.

etky

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:33 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

So I actually did, a very long time ago when I was a teenager and when I was a chayelet.
But now there is so much more awareness of it being a crime and there have also been publicized cases where women have made a fuss and the person was arrested so I think that many men are deterred.

etky

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:37 am
Rappel wrote:
Exactly. I guess my point was that we're treated with respect here. I'm sure there must be a few odd old men wandering the buses and accosting women, but isn't that true everywhere? It's definitely not definitive of Israeli society.

For sure.
I was never harassed on buses/trains as I was in Italy, especially Naples, (also a very long time ago...)

LovesHashem

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:40 am
zxual harassment statistics are pretty high - I think 4/5 women will be harassed or groped, or assaulted in their lifetime.

I know so many people who have been on busses, and off of busses, while davening publicly, or while walking around the shuk. But this happens in America, in every country in the world as well.

And I do think it is less when you are covering your hair here, not sure why. All the stories I know are from people when they were not married.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 5:53 am
etky wrote:
So I actually did, a very long time ago when I was a teenager and when I was a chayelet.
But now there is so much more awareness of it being a crime and there have also been publicized cases where women have made a fuss and the person was arrested so I think that many men are deterred.

I don't see the point of calling the police because a man brushes his hand against my inner thigh. It would be he said/she said. Even if I somehow got my camera out and got a video, I doubt anything would happen to him.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics