Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How on earth do the Israelis keep up.
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

jerusalem90

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:03 am
Rappel wrote:
The only firm conclusion I have from this thread: Jerusalem90 must be stunning, and she should share some of the male attention around LOL for myself, as soon as I put on a mitpachat I gained untouchable status, and I find I'm treated with respect and courtesy and care wherever I go.

Thanks, but in my experience most perverts would choose to target an okay looking girl who looks naive and helpless, rather than a stunningly beautiful woman who looks like she's have no issue putting them in a headlock and kicking their a!@. I'm definitely the former and not the latter, haval.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m eyeing them on the streets the woman are so so think and pretty.

Do they starve themselves. Exercise all day ??
Their skin is Gorgeous. I want all their secrets.

The secret is in the famous "salat &chavita"Very Happy

etky

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:31 am
jerusalem90 wrote:
I don't see the point of calling the police because a man brushes his hand against my inner thigh. It would be he said/she said. Even if I somehow got my camera out and got a video, I doubt anything would happen to him.

So, in the textbook case, you would tell the driver who would stop the bus keeping the doors closed and he would call the police.

Zeleze

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:33 am
Not many of us drive cars, and all shopping is done by foot

No money for taxis or buses (don't tell my in laws or parents please Smile) so each time going to Geula or Shfa from Arze Habira, it's a real long walk and I do it a few times a week both ways

Maybe ........ a good reason

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:34 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
The secret is in the famous "salat &chavita"Very Happy

Some will say that salat and chavita is not a thing in all communities....
But me thinks, that the closer we get to US/Western culture the more we will look like them.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 6:48 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Some will say that salat and chavita is not a thing in all communities....
But me thinks, that the closer we get to US/Western culture the more we will look like them.

I do think salat and chavita is quite widespread.
I definitely think that the Israeli habit of eating the heavy meal in the afternoon and the lighter one at night is much healthier than the American way. Also less fattening.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 7:22 am
What about the likelihood that the food is locally grown and therefore more nutritious? It also appears that people rely on their own cooking more often than they buy carry out and processed food. I am stereotyping based on having 2 Israeli in-law children and another in-law child born in America to Israeli parents.
One of them doesn't like seeing anyone in the family behave like "lazy Americans". His mother's floors are clean enough to eat from. I do see plenty of processed food for sale in Israel but it does look like cooking is really part of the culture.
Because the weather is good for a large percentage of the year, people are outside more and families really use playgrounds. Probably this makes their bodies produce more vitamin D.

salt

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 7:26 am
I live in Israel. I was once in America, and I was served the most enormous portions. I couldn't even finish the first course and I had to eat more so as not to offend my hosts.
I know 1 case is not enough evidence for statistical analysis, but if that's anything to go by, that could be a reason why Israeli's are thinner than Americans on average.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:00 am
Elfrida wrote:
I was also thinking this.

Though I agree that life here is generally less extravagant than in America.

Less extravagant, yet.

But, I scratch my head every time I read on here about junk being expensive and healthy food being cheap and other similar sentiments. It's really the opposite, and I don't encounter anyone IRL who says this either. (I live in Yerushalayim for context.)

Though, I believe it's the portion control and less variety that makes a huge difference. I can't relate to any of the multi-course Shabbos day meals that I see featured in the magazines, for example.

Also, a lot more walking. Of course, this will be dependent on where you live, and the circles you run in, but most people around me don't have cars so that equals more exercise.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:14 am
I wonder where those people who say no one has cars are from.
Are the carless people from a certain city? Are they mainly charedi?
I'm just baffled because almost everyone I know has at least one car per family, and at least half have one per spouse. I know there are certain sectors with fewer cars, but I don't think it's common at all. (I mean, look at the traffic jams to see how many people have cars....)

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:22 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I wonder where those people who say no one has cars are from.
Are the carless people from a certain city? Are they mainly charedi?
I'm just baffled because almost everyone I know has at least one car per family, and at least half have one per spouse. I know there are certain sectors with fewer cars, but I don't think it's common at all. (I mean, look at the traffic jams to see how many people have cars....)

Even if there is one car per family, there still is more walking done.
I do carpool in the AM then my DH takes the car to work. Any errands I do during the hours he is at work is done without a car. (I try to keep them to a minimum, but still...)
Same goes to him on a day that I need the car.
Cars here are taxed 100%, maitenance and gas are expensive so many people stick to one car for financial reasons.
And yes, many chareidi israelis still don't have cars. And even if they do, many woman still don't drive.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:33 am
zaq wrote:
IOW, it's not so much that Israelis are thin as that Americans are fat. The typical Western diet is low on produce, high on sat fat and carbs, and the typical Western lifestyle is low on physical activity and high on sitting. Many epidemiological studies have shown that when countries with low rates of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases adopt a more Western diet, their rates of these disorders approach those of Western countries.

This exactly. As an foreigner living in America I am just amazed at the differences in food quality, lifestyle habits and average weight of Americans. I previously lived in Europe, Australia and Israel and America was a shock to behold and has taken a lot of time to get used to (I kind of wish I didn’t have to...).

essie14

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 9:45 am
southernbubby wrote:
It looks like the most beautiful children are drafted into the IDF; each more beautiful than the next. Their IDF years gets them in top shape which lasts for years after active duty. This is both the boys and the girls. That's how they stay beautiful.

So true! Each time my soldiers come home I swear they've gotten more handsome!

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:02 am
I think people who live in big cities are less likely to have a car and more likely to think EVERYONE lives life just Iike they do. To me it seems like people in NYC do a lot of walking and take public transportation- because that’s what I do when I am in NY (and that’s what people do on TV).
Yes it’s true that Americans on average are fatter than Israelis and you hardly see really obese people here. Yes it’s true portions are just that much bigger in the US than they are in Israel, a small coffee is the size of a big coffee in Israel etc. Yes Israelis probably eat more produce and a bit less processed food than in the US.
But otherwise there is such a huge range in experiences here just like in the US.
Foreigners usually think of “Israelis” as though they are all just like their friends and family members that live here or families they met in seminary.
It’s sort of like thinking that all of America is like Jews in Lakewood or the student body of Berkeley. These are very specific communities that only reflect on themselves not the entire population of the United States.
We are an entire country, not only Jerusalem, there’s just so much more to us than American yeshivish communities in Jerusalem.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:13 am
essie14 wrote:
So true! Each time my soldiers come home I swear they've gotten more handsome!

I never saw a homely IDF member.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:19 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I think people who live in big cities are less likely to have a car and more likely to think EVERYONE lives life just Iike they do. To me it seems like people in NYC do a lot of walking and take public transportation- because that’s what I do when I am in NY (and that’s what people do on TV).
Yes it’s true that Americans on average are fatter than Israelis and you hardly see really obese people here. Yes it’s true portions are just that much bigger in the US than they are in Israel, a small coffee is the size of a big coffee in Israel etc. Yes Israelis probably eat more produce and a bit less processed food than in the US.
But otherwise there is such a huge range in experiences here just like in the US.
Foreigners usually think of “Israelis” as though they are all just like their friends and family members that live here or families they met in seminary.
It’s sort of like thinking that all of America is like Jews in Lakewood or the student body of Berkeley. These are very specific communities that only reflect on themselves not the entire population of the United States.
We are an entire country, not only Jerusalem, there’s just so much more to us than American yeshivish communities in Jerusalem.

My sister in law, who lives in Haifa, is a widow. People seem happy to help if she needs something fixed or moved. She had high end cars when she lived in America but takes the bus in Israel. The health care system in Israel has been really good for her and I imagine that the availability of health care is a factor in why people in Israel appear to be healthier.
She is lucky that people in Israel are so friendly and caring.

etky

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:49 am
southernbubby wrote:
I never saw a homely IDF member.

That's because they're young and in uniform. Smile

chanchy123

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:54 am
etky wrote:
That's because they're young and in uniform. Smile

To me this whole line of discussion is almost fetishising IDF soldiers. I don’t get it, IDF soldiers are people just like everyone else done are better looking than others. This whole thread is cringe-worthy. I don’t know why I keep coming back to it.

etky

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:59 am
chanchy123 wrote:
To me this whole line of discussion is almost fetishising IDF soldiers. I don’t get it, IDF soldiers are people just like everyone else done are better looking than others. This whole thread is cringe-worthy. I don’t know why I keep coming back to it.

Let's just say it's somewhat starry-eyed.
But you know, when you get older all young people really do look beautiful to you.
And they say that the uniform makes the man (or woman...).

mazal555

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 1:04 pm
A lot of the unhealthy foods in the USA aren't even legal in Israel. Flour can't be bromated, there's a limit to how much food color is legal, etc etc etc

Dairy is subsidized. Vegetables are cheap. The soil and water has a higher mineral content.

Healthier people look better.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics