Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on food a month?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:14 pm
Guys I feel so good!!
I have 3 kids but they are all little (under 5) and dont eat much at all.
I'm a frugal person by nature. I go to evergreen (in Lakewood) for all my chicken, meat... they have the best prices on that.
The food boxes help a lot! I get WIC which helps a little too. (No food stamps)
My weakness is going out to eat so that's why I was nervous!
I dont have cleaning help, or get manis or anything extra but I DO spend a lot on ice coffees, Chinese food,.... I'm embarrassed to admit this but of the 800 around half is restuarant! 🙈
Recently we have BH had an increase in income however I am still stuck in "frugal mode" at the grocery.
The other week I bought a special type of rugelach that my husband loves it was hard for me to spend the 7$ when the old me would have never bought that unless it was on sale! (Even then maybe not)

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:15 pm
I spend a lot. We buy only organic because I don’t want our family eating food that is sprayed with chemicals that kills animals. I’m happy with how much we spend and BH I feel we are healthier and visit the doctor less because of it.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:24 pm
Family of 4 Brooklyn about $1000

Optione

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Guys I feel so good!!
I have 3 kids but they are all little (under 5) and dont eat much at all.
I'm a frugal person by nature. I go to evergreen (in Lakewood) for all my chicken, meat... they have the best prices on that.
The food boxes help a lot! I get WIC which helps a little too. (No food stamps)
My weakness is going out to eat so that's why I was nervous!
I dont have cleaning help, or get manis or anything extra but I DO spend a lot on ice coffees, Chinese food,.... I'm embarrassed to admit this but of the 800 around half is restuarant! 🙈
Recently we have BH had an increase in income however I am still stuck in "frugal mode" at the grocery.
The other week I bought a special type of rugelach that my husband loves it was hard for me to spend the 7$ when the old me would have never bought that unless it was on sale! (Even then maybe not)

It's a mental shift. One or 2 cups of iced coffee is the same $7 as the rugalach...

small bean

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:26 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
probably around 1600 a month, family of 8
and I'm extremely careful!! like trying to makes suppers from the ingredients I have already, buying snacks on sale, etc etc
my SIL spends 3000 on food monthly so I thought I was doing great!!
how does a family spend 800 a month???
pls share your secret!!

I mostly shop in Walmart or kosherwest. I don't buy a lot of junk because were not into it,by that I mean cookies, crackers, baked goods. Were not really a snack kind of family outside of school snack, those kind things add up quickly. I do buy prechecked lettuce usually and sometimes other convenience items. Dry goods is much cheaper in Walmart and I buy a lot of it there. And also fruit/veggies when I'm there I'll supplement. I don't usually serve any meat besides chopped meat during the week unless there is an occasion or I'm bored of all other options.

Really some months I spend more, like Yom tov will be easily an extra $300.

I don't do a lot of takeout other than pizza. My kids always complain by takeout that my food is better. I do icecream though , probably averaging $30-$50 a month.

That's why I adjusted to 3k on everything a month. Because it's hard to break down so specifically.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:39 pm
I spend a ton....about 1200-1500 and I have 4 kids. One infant and 3 others under 10 who are super picky. I dont go out to eat much.

banana split

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:49 pm
Family of six. At least 500-600 a week 🤦🏼‍♀️

justforfun87

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:53 pm
Family of 5 in Baltimore and around 1300 a month and that is with the kids getting lunches at school. :/ Food prices have increased like crazy.. Clementine are over 5 dollars a bag!

lk1234

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 8:59 pm
That's not a lot op - as long as you are staying under 800 that is fine.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 9:26 pm
Family of 6 close to 800 a wk. Anyone??
I do 2 grocery trips a wk. Shabbas costs a lot. My kids eat a lot. Takeout once or twice a wk.
Not sure how I would do 200 a wk. Fruit alone is almost that much

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 9:29 pm
banana split wrote:
Family of six. At least 500-600 a week 🤦🏼‍♀️
[b]

Exactly. Are your kids teens? Or some of them.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 9:42 pm
$2800. Food went up a lot. I feed a lot of humans here.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 9:46 pm
small bean wrote:
About $800 family of 10. But this is not including detergent, shampoo, paper towels etc

Month or week?

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 9:50 pm
Probably close to 2k a month on average (including yt)
4 kids, all teens

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:15 pm
Family of 9 probably about 2000 a month, also target and walmart orders.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 27 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Family of 6 close to 800 a wk. Anyone??
I do 2 grocery trips a wk. Shabbas costs a lot. My kids eat a lot. Takeout once or twice a wk.
Not sure how I would do 200 a wk. Fruit alone is almost that much

You spend $200 a week on fruit?!?! How? I can’t fathom the amount of fruit you must eat to cost that much!!! My head is spinning.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Including takeout, coffee,...

Family of 5 in Lakewood and we spend around 800$ I feel like that's a lot
how old are your kids? Thats very little unless your kids are under 5?

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 12:36 am
How is everyone spending so little? What do you eat each day? Everyone spending less than $200 a month per person, do you eat cholov stam? Do you serve chicken or fish for dinner or mainly pasta, pizza, and things like that? Are your kids very young, or barely eat?

busy mommy

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 6:49 am
I think there is a key factor missing here. A family of 6 with all kids under the age of five is very different than 4 teenagers.
I try to budget pretty carefully and I spend around $1100 a month for a family of 7. My kids are not teenagers yet but eat like adults. I buy in bulk and do a once a month food shopping in Walmart. Shabbos, fruits and vegetables, and dairy I do on a weekly basis.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 28 2021, 8:30 am
busy mommy wrote:
I think there is a key factor missing here. A family of 6 with all kids under the age of five is very different than 4 teenagers.
I try to budget pretty carefully and I spend around $1100 a month for a family of 7. My kids are not teenagers yet but eat like adults. I buy in bulk and do a once a month food shopping in Walmart. Shabbos, fruits and vegetables, and dairy I do on a weekly basis.

Yes. I have all teens and this is very true. When they were very little they would eat one adult size portion between all 4 of them. Now they EACH eat one. Plus snacks etc.. Growing teens can eat more than adults.

Also, the only reason we spend about 2k a month is because we buy non perishable things like cereal, ketchup etc only on sale. (And if you have teens you know they can go through 1/2 a box of cereal in one sitting)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics