Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Please don’t do this!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

OBnursemom

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 8:45 am
I’ve seen it done when a member of the family has to bring a kid/kids to the bathroom. If the were on line together when the entered the line, Disney lets them rejoin. I know because I specifically asked a cast member.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 8:49 am
OBnursemom wrote:
I’ve seen it done when a member of the family has to bring a kid/kids to the bathroom. If the were on line together when the entered the line, Disney lets them rejoin. I know because I specifically asked a cast member.

Totally fine, especially if you explain it to the person waiting behind you. But for one member of a family to wait and then be joined by six more kids who didn't want to wait? Just not ok.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 8:54 am
OBnursemom wrote:

Disney has totally different rules than a place like Six Flags. Each park has their culture and rules and you should ask before leaving a line or having one person join a line and then 4 more line hop to find them. I've seen the latter and it is just not a good look for us.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was standing in line at an attraction this week. There was a Jewish woman standing in front of me. The line was long and didn’t move that quick. We inched along and as we thought we were almost there this woman’s children and grandchildren joined her in the line.

I was very bothered- but leave me aside for a moment. I saw the annoyed looks on the non-Jewish people waiting in line.

Have some manners, have some dignity when you are with your family. You represent our nation, do your best to do so properly. There’s so much negative media coverage out there, don’t give people a reason to hate us more.

Her children and grandchildren? Sorry but she did nothing wrong

You have no idea where the kids were before and should be dan lekaf zechus

sky

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:21 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:

It doesn’t matter what they were doing.

If 5 ppl join the line that means the 5 ppl that were behind now have to wait longer for their turn.

Even if they were using the bathroom, eating or taking a drink they should join the back of the lib.
This is common decency and the rule in any park.

I really can’t imagine any scenario that makes line cutting ok.

Give me a reason they can’t get on the back of the line and she shouldn’t join them there?

sky

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:23 am
watergirl wrote:
Disney has totally different rules than a place like Six Flags. Each park has their culture and rules and you should ask before leaving a line or having one person join a line and then 4 more line hop to find them. I've seen the latter and it is just not a good look for us.

I’ve seen six flags nj due this. Especially by the safari where the line can be 2 hours long. They had someone there giving ppl passes to return to the line after using the bathroom.

Ppl still grumbled even though they saw them leaving and returning soon after. Either bathroom or getting drinks due to the heat.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:24 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
So not nice.
Reminds me when I go shopping, someone is online in front of me and runs to do her shopping meanwhile and keeps coming back with more items.
Or when a mother and husband/child waits on two lines with two wagons to see which line moves faster and then brings the second wagon to check out.

A none jewish family did it Sunday at Walmart. They had 2 very full carts.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:30 am
watergirl wrote:
And a lot of parks have signs posted where lines tend to be long to remind people they are not allowed to do this.

I was once at Six Flags (not in NY/NJ) on a chol hamoed. I live near a place where people love to visit for chaggim and vacations, so when there is a chol hamoed, our Six Flags gets to be very full of out of town frum visitors, and the chillul Hashem is horrible. I'm talking about more than the line jumping; heimish wrappers on the floor and tables, people leaving their babies in strollers at the ride entrance in the kiddy area as if it was a shoe store in BP, and yes, line jumping.

People can see us and at a glance identify us a Jews. We have to be better than this.

You are right that it is the rules.

Quote:
We expect all guests to behave in a family-friendly manner. Line jumping, profanity and unruly behavior are offensive to park guests and may be cause for ejection without refund. Guests are not permitted to save places in line, bypass others in line, or exit the line and return to the same place for any reason. Guests exiting a line must go to the back of the line if they choose to return.

I guess in that ride they made an exception?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:34 am

Where does dan lkaf zchus come in?

Should all the nonjews be dan lkaf zchus too?

It makes no diff where the kids were before. If they’re at a public setting please act with proper etiquette.

It’s extremely rude to hold places in line. One thing for a spouse or a kid that ran to the bathroom.
We waited behind this woman the full time that she was there. Only once we were almost at the attraction did she open the barrier to allow her whole extended family in.
There’s no excuse for such behavior

When I was pregnant with one of my kids I went to a mall with my husband. We were entering one of the stores (a high end brand) and my husband held the door open for me. As he did so a Chinese lady slipped under his arms to push in ahead of me as they allowed only limited people in the store. It’s been over 5 years since and when I see Chinese people my mind automatically thinks of the incident and groups them all in that pushy aggressive selfish category. Are they all like that? Probably not! But that’s human nature. We group people together and judge them as a group.
Hence the reason it’s so important to be aware of your Jewish presence.
We all wait on lines, so can you.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:44 am
I took my daughters to Sahara Sam's, and we waited hours for the slide because large packs of kids would ride the slide, cut the entire line, and ride again. The rest of us stood there waiting our turn. A line that should have lasted maybe half an hour lasted almost three hours. The staff was so shocked. I remember their bewildered faces. One staff member told me that she had never seen so much line cutting in her life. I never went to that park again because of this issue.

My family and I are annual passholders in Universal Studios in Orlando. We have spent ages and ages waiting in lines over the years, and we have never witnessed anyone attempt to cut the line, or hold places for others. Not even once! We have, on very rare occasion, seen someone leave their group, go use the restroom, and return to their group promptly, and they usually explain as they pass. People are obviously okay with this.

To all the line cutters claiming that everyone does this, or that people in Walmart cut lines as someone wrote earlier (is the Walmart crowd really your gold standard?), go to a crowded theme park and spend a few hours watching. You will not see line cutting or place-holding. Your sense of what's normal has been warped.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:47 am

This is incredibly wrong.
I was at Turtleback Zoo waiting in an incredibly long line to go on a train. The person in front of me all of a sudden let in about 15 people I’m not kidding. Everyone was fuming. It was such a chillul hashem.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 11:56 am
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
This is incredibly wrong.
I was at Turtleback Zoo waiting in an incredibly long line to go on a train. The person in front of me all of a sudden let in about 15 people I’m not kidding. Everyone was fuming. It was such a chillul hashem.

If you see something say something. You should’ve told her something.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:03 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If you see something say something. You should’ve told her something.

Not everyone has the courage to say something.
And saying something to such people probably won’t really do much.
That saying is really referring to public safety..

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 12:09 pm
sky wrote:
I’ve seen six flags nj due this. Especially by the safari where the line can be 2 hours long. They had someone there giving ppl passes to return to the line after using the bathroom.

Ppl still grumbled even though they saw them leaving and returning soon after. Either bathroom or getting drinks due to the heat.

My DD was at Six Flags recently and a group of non-Jewish black teens attempted to cut the line in front of her and a friend. They were told by a park attendant to go to the back of the line. DD and friend were entirely silent and said nothing.

On her way out of the park that night, this group followed her and her friend and pelted them with their leftover food. DD and friend just quickly got in their car and quietly left.

I'm actually pretty concerned about this incident (DD did report it on website ) and wonder about park security.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 1:44 pm

How is it not wrong for 1 person out of a group to wait in a line and when it's their turn all of a sudden, 6 more people arrive?? How is this ok? I which situation is this ok? If you want to go on the attraction, wait on line like everyone else does. Dan l'kaf z'chus doesn't come in here. This is something that's never ok to do.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 2:04 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I'm really confused because I don't think of myself as an inconsiderate person at all, quite the opposite actually.

While I wouldn't do what the family in OP's story did, I certainly have my husband get in line with some things while I still walk around. Maybe because of my ADHD but I have a hard time standing in a very long checkout line. In the airport as well, my husband will stand by check-in - but if my kids and I get restless we have sat by the wall on occasion until it's our turn.

Did I learn something new today?

My DH also has ADHD and finds it hard to wait in line. Usually I’m stuck waiting in line with all the luggage (clearly for more than one person) and he walks around. Same when we go shopping together, I wait in-line with the cart and he walks around the store (many times supplementing with forgotten items). Obviously if he’s alone he waits patiently (well impatiently as it were) in line playing on his phone, but it’s hard for him.
That’s not the same as cutting in line with a group to an attraction or the like.
It’s been a while since we’ve flown but DH actually perfect to board last so he doesn’t have to wait in line to board the plane and then is stuck in his seat (I’m the opposite - can’t wait to be done with it).

imaima

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was standing in line at an attraction this week. There was a Jewish woman standing in front of me. The line was long and didn’t move that quick. We inched along and as we thought we were almost there this woman’s children and grandchildren joined her in the line.

I was very bothered- but leave me aside for a moment. I saw the annoyed looks on the non-Jewish people waiting in line.

Have some manners, have some dignity when you are with your family. You represent our nation, do your best to do so properly. There’s so much negative media coverage out there, don’t give people a reason to hate us more.

I see both sides. I do that too, if my kids can go sit down and not get overtired, I would choose that over making non-Jews in the line feel good.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 2:10 pm
It makes me upset when people cut the line and ask the one person they're going in front of if it's okay.
Does he not realize he's cutting before several dozen people, not just one?
Also upsetting when that one person says yes to the cutter. He didn't ask everyone else's permission.
When people ask me if they can cut in front of me, I say if everyone else behind me agrees.

Also incredibly rude when driving in lots of traffic because of a merge, to skip everyone by driving around the merging lanes in an exit lane and then expect to get in at the front.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 2:10 pm
amother [ Garnet ] wrote:
My DH also has ADHD and finds it hard to wait in line. Usually I’m stuck waiting in line with all the luggage (clearly for more than one person) and he walks around. Same when we go shopping together, I wait in-line with the cart and he walks around the store (many times supplementing with forgotten items). Obviously if he’s alone he waits patiently (well impatiently as it were) in line playing on his phone, but it’s hard for him.
That’s not the same as cutting in line with a group to an attraction or the like.
It’s been a while since we’ve flown but DH actually perfect to board last so he doesn’t have to wait in line to board the plane and then is stuck in his seat (I’m the opposite - can’t wait to be done with it).

I hope you and firebrick make sure you are the last ones in line at the grocery store and allow anyone who gets behind you in line to go in-front of you.

I'm sorry, but since when is something being hard an excuse for inconsiderate behavior? Sometimes, things are hard and we have to make due.

imaima

Post Tue, Aug 03 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
I don't know about horrible, but definitely inconsiderate. Please don't do this. There's no reason that everyone else should wait on line while your family doesn't.

But they also wait, just in a more comfortable position. The only difference is how many people are physically in the line.
Not the same as to leave a cart in the line and keep shopping.

So the other people in the line have to wait longer, but they would still have to wait longer if all the kids were in line. It's just a lot of people. Or the other people in line get disappointed because there are suddenly more people ahead of them than expected. But the people would still be there.

This is not the same as obvious line-cutting or sending 1 friend ahead to hold places for 5 whobare doing something else.

When the whole group arrived and just one person is physically in the line, how would it make others wait less if there were 5 in the line ahead of them?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics