Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
8 month old should eat 3 meals a day??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
Do you nurse? An 8 month old needs to either nurse or have bottles.

Yes I nurse( I thought that was obvious LOL)

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:29 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I have good news--the best way to handle this is also the easiest way. Sit the child down and put food on the tray. If they choose not to eat much, it's fine. Don't use distraction. That's actually harmful in the long run. Just provide the food, that's it.

Hey I never tried letting her eat by herself… will try that ty!!
(Can I ask why it’s bad in the long run?)
Sorry to derail your thread OP

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:37 pm
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
Hey I never tried letting her eat by herself… will try that ty!!
(Can I ask why it’s bad in the long run?)
Sorry to derail your thread OP

Not using all their senses to learn about the new foods they're trying--that does important stuff--and not being as attuned to their body's hunger signals

Letting babies feed themselves is awesome! They have fun and they are in control. It does, of course, make a mess.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:43 pm
A meal doesn't mean protein and two sides. It can mean eggs mixed with avocado, eggs mixed with potatoes, sweet potatoes, over cooked broccoli, beans from soup smashed, banana, smoothie, put a few of these things in front of your baby and help them learn to eat. You may need to put in the baby's mouth at first but then they learn.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:47 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
A meal doesn't mean protein and two sides. It can mean eggs mixed with avocado, eggs mixed with potatoes, sweet potatoes, over cooked broccoli, beans from soup smashed, banana, smoothie, put a few of these things in front of your baby and help them learn to eat. You may need to put in the baby's mouth at first but then they learn.

You never need to put food in the baby's mouth. Certainly you should never force it in there. Put the food down. An 8 month old will eat some. A 6 month old might just play with it but that's ok too. Believe in the babies!

Btw, do what you're comfortable with but it is not strictly necessary to smash beans or overcook broccoli.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:55 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Not using all their senses to learn about the new foods they're trying--that does important stuff--and not being as attuned to their body's hunger signals

Letting babies feed themselves is awesome! They have fun and they are in control. It does, of course, make a mess.

Gotcha.
I totally hear that…
I’ll try it tonight and see how it goes!!!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:56 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
You never need to put food in the baby's mouth. Certainly you should never force it in there. Put the food down. An 8 month old will eat some. A 6 month old might just play with it but that's ok too. Believe in the babies!

Btw, do what you're comfortable with but it is not strictly necessary to smash beans or overcook broccoli.

Yes, there are 8 and 10 month olds who want to see you eat things or help them taste it by putting it near their mouth. Putting something near their lips is not forcing oh my. My baby won't touch her favorite food unless I eat it first.

And you can feed them anything except for honey and chockeable things and fish if thats your minhag.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 7:59 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Yes, there are 8 and 10 month olds who want to see you eat things or help them taste it by putting it near their mouth. Putting something near their lips is not forcing oh my. My baby won't touch her favorite food unless I eat it first.

And you can feed them anything except for honey and chockeable things and fish if thats your minhag.

Let them watch you eat it, sure. Every little one knows that mommy's food tastes better even if it is identical to their own.

But it's best to either put the food down or directly into their hand. Let them operate and control the food.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:04 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Let them watch you eat it, sure. Every little one knows that mommy's food tastes better even if it is identical to their own.

But it's best to either put the food down or directly into their hand. Let them operate and control the food.

Yes they are doing that even when I put it to their lips the first time. Usually I put a food in front of them 3 times, first time I ignore, 2nd time I put it in their hands if they don't do anything, 3rd time in my mouth if they don't do anything, and 4th time if they don't do anything I put it to their lips and 99% of the times after they will try it on their own. My pediatrician says this is great and fine and I've been doing it for years. You're saying this is bad?

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Honestly, pediatricians recommend a lot of nonsense, especially in areas outside of their realm of expertise, so I take that with a grain of salt. (Pediatricians do not receive much training in nutrition, for example.)

Please point me to the research that shows that exclusively nursing babies are iron-deficient or developmentally delayed.

Nutrition in regards to a baby is a pediatricians field of expertise. To be clear the main source of nutrition until 12 months are bottles or nursing. But it’s very important to offer your baby a few meals a day.
I exclusively breastfeed my babies but after 6 months ( not before 6 months)the breastfeeding should be in conjunction with a slow and gradual introduction to solids. A 12 month old baby should be eating basically everything an adult eats at that point ( with the exclusion of items that a baby can choke on such a grapes, hot dogs etc)
It’s not catering to your baby’s individual needs if you don’t offer solids. ( Unless for a medical reason your pediatrician instructs you to withhold solids)
To cater to your child’s needs you should be offering solids to them. Don’t force feed them. Just make mealtime fun and exciting and place the food on their tray and in the beginning they will play with it and as they get older they will eat. You can also offer food on a spoon but definitely don’t force feed.

There is plenty of research and information on this and information is very accessible online. The iron deficiency that can happen when an exclusively breastfed baby doesn’t have solids from 6-12 months is very real and you can find lots of information about that as well.

Feeding a baby takes a lot of time and energy but with the right foundation you will have good eaters for life and that saves lots of time and energy down the road one day.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 11:19 pm
I think at that’s age 5-6 bottles is too much. I would cut back one feed and offer more food.

My baby was eating meals since she was 6 months. Now at 10 months she eats around 3-4 times a day and 4 bottles.

But every child is different my oldest didn’t eat properly until he was over 13 months….

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
Feeding a baby takes a lot of time and energy but with the right foundation you will have good eaters for life and that saves lots of time and energy down the road one day.

I'm not on baby #1 anymore. I have a one-year-old to teens, and despite not getting meals until well over age 1, they are all wonderful eaters. In fact you would probably be jealous at how much they enjoy vegetables and real food, and eat adult size portions from a fairly young age.

I cater to my baby's needs by giving them solids when they want them. The baby is sitting on my lap when I eat, and if he/she wants a bite, I happily offer them one. They are welcome to have finger food whenever they want it. I don't cook meals for baby (aside for one child where I felt they really needed it).

None of my babies had solids until they were sitting up and could feed it to themselves. And even then, as I said, it wasn't meals.

Honestly I think we do a big disservice to parents by trying to standardize everything and raise the standards to impossible levels.

If you are worried about your child's iron, it's a quick and simple test to find out. If they have low iron, you can give them iron drops or add iron-rich foods. There is no need to force your baby to eat solids before they are ready (which means transferring 90% of the effort over to you). When they are ready, they will eat by themselves.

You don't have to bathe your baby every day (in fact dermatologists say this may be harmful).
You don't have to feed your baby solids, especially your nursing baby, before the baby wants them (assuming this is a healthy baby who is meeting milestones).
You don't have to provide a set amount of minutes of tummy time, don't have to play classical music, hang certain mobiles which are perfect for baby's eyes, take baby to pilates, have playdates for babies, or put them to sleep in pajamas.
You need to love your baby. You need to make sure your baby is satisfied when eating, is warm and clean, and has health concerns addressed. You need to keep your baby safe. You need to make sure to answer your baby's cries, because that's all the communication they know. Sometimes you answer, "Mommy can't hold you now," but you answer. You need to try to learn what they like and dislike, if they want to be cuddled or swaddled or rocked, or just like a very dark and quiet room. You show them you care for them.

Guidance like exactly what age EVERY baby must eat solids, and precisely HOW MANY meals they must have per day or else they will SUFFER TERRIBLY from iron deficiency... let it all go. You are a good mother and your baby will be fine. If your baby is hungry, they will let you know. Most babies will cry, others will be lethargic. But they will let you know. Your baby will WANT solids. Your baby will try to take solids. And you can then offer them gladly for them to explore and eventually eat.

But please don't look for more parenting rules. There are way too many already, and the overwhelmed and stressed parents who can't handle any more children are often suffering from these invented expectations more than their actual kids.

gr82no

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 11:50 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

How does your baby eat soup or yogurt without you feeding it? Pasta I let by themselves but egg salad I don’t see how my baby could do it.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 11:57 pm
gr82no wrote:
How does your baby eat soup or yogurt without you feeding it? Pasta I let by themselves but egg salad I don’t see how my baby could do it.

Who says babies need soup or yogurt?

Give them the soft vegetables from the soup. If you insist on yogurt, get the yogurt pouches (or make your own with refillable ones from Amazon). If you insist on egg salad, make it chunkier and let them have a spoon and their hands.

There really is no need to overthink this. If they aren't ready to eat a food yet, that's fine. It's not like if they didn't eat a food by 9 months they have lost their window of opportunity forever.

oakandfig19

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:03 am
SuperWify wrote:
I think at that’s age 5-6 bottles is too much. I would cut back one feed and offer more food.

My baby was eating meals since she was 6 months. Now at 10 months she eats around 3-4 times a day and 4 bottles.

But every child is different my oldest didn’t eat properly until he was over 13 months….

I can’t, I’m lucky if he drinks 4 oz a feeding. It’s a struggle getting him to drink 20 oz a day. He’s off the growth chart. Which is why I cant comprehend 3 meals a day.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:31 am
My baby is 10 months old. She usually gets one meal a day of solids. Usually baby cereal, some chunky vegetable soup, a baby pouch, etc
Otherwise she is exclusively nursing. I have been giving her snack during the day to keep herself busy like crackers, bamba, veggie straws etc
I believe and starting solids later rather than earlier. Personally, my baby doesn't Love real food so I'm content nursing her for as long as she needs. I usually nurse until about 18 months or two years.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 12:51 am
You said your baby only drinks a couple of ounces at a time, so your baby is a snacker,
not a meal eater.

Offer baby a few spoons of yogurt or baby food jar 2 - 3 times a day. Maybe some cheerios.

gr82no

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 2:09 am
Who says babies need soup or yogurt?

Give them the soft vegetables from the soup. If you insist on yogurt, get the yogurt pouches (or make your own with refillable ones from Amazon). If you insist on egg salad, make it chunkier and let them have a spoon and their hands.

There really is no need to overthink this. If they aren't ready to eat a food yet, that's fine. It's not like if they didn't eat a food by 9 months they have lost their window of opportunity forever.

Oh I see we look at it differently. If I’m having yogurt my baby wants some so I share. I give my baby whatever I’m eating because my baby is reaching for it. I don’t make food specifically for baby but I do cut into bite size pieces obviously

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 2:24 am
I'm not on baby #1 anymore. I have a one-year-old to teens, and despite not getting meals until well over age 1, they are all wonderful eaters. In fact you would probably be jealous at how much they enjoy vegetables and real food, and eat adult size portions from a fairly young age.

I cater to my baby's needs by giving them solids when they want them. The baby is sitting on my lap when I eat, and if he/she wants a bite, I happily offer them one. They are welcome to have finger food whenever they want it. I don't cook meals for baby (aside for one child where I felt they really needed it).

None of my babies had solids until they were sitting up and could feed it to themselves. And even then, as I said, it wasn't meals.

Honestly I think we do a big disservice to parents by trying to standardize everything and raise the standards to impossible levels.

If you are worried about your child's iron, it's a quick and simple test to find out. If they have low iron, you can give them iron drops or add iron-rich foods. There is no need to force your baby to eat solids before they are ready (which means transferring 90% of the effort over to you). When they are ready, they will eat by themselves.

You don't have to bathe your baby every day (in fact dermatologists say this may be harmful).
You don't have to feed your baby, especially your nursing baby, solids before the baby wants them (assuming this is a healthy baby who is meeting milestones).
You don't have to provide a set amount of minutes of tummy time, don't have to play classical music, hang certain mobiles which are perfect for baby's eyes, take baby to pilates, have playdates for babies, or put them to sleep in pajamas.
You need to love your baby. You need to make sure your baby is satisfied when eating, is warm and clean, and has health concerns addressed. You need to keep your baby safe. You need to make sure to answer your baby's cries, because that's all the communication they know. Sometimes you answer, "Mommy can't hold you now," but you answer. You need to try to learn what they like and dislike, if they want to be cuddled or swaddled or rocked, or just like a very dark and quiet room. You show them you care for them.

Guidance like exactly what age EVERY baby must eat solids, and precisely HOW MANY meals they must have per day or else they will SUFFER TERRIBLY from iron deficiency... let it all go. You are a good mother and your baby will be fine. If your baby is hungry, they will let you know. Most babies will cry, others will be lethargic. But they will let you know. Your baby will WANT solids. Your baby will try to take solids. And you can then offer them gladly for them to explore and eventually eat.

But please don't look for more parenting rules. There are way too many already, and the overwhelmed and stressed parents who can't handle any more children are often suffering from these invented expectations more than their actual kids.

THIS, 100%, ALL OF IT! I can't LIKE this enough. Thumbs Up

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:12 am
oakandfig19 wrote:
I can’t, I’m lucky if he drinks 4 oz a feeding. It’s a struggle getting him to drink 20 oz a day. He’s off the growth chart. Which is why I cant comprehend 3 meals a day.

I understand. Like I said every baby to his own.

I would try to sit child in the high chair once or twice a day with an assortment of baby finger friendly foods and allow child to experiment. I never directly feed my baby. She feeds herself. I just put the food down and she decides what she wants to eat. Keeps her very occupied, actually.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics