Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
8 month old should eat 3 meals a day??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:13 am
gr82no wrote:
Oh I see we look at it differently. If I’m having yogurt my baby wants some so I share. I give my baby whatever I’m eating because my baby is reaching for it. I don’t make food specifically for baby but I do cut into bite size pieces obviously

Give her the vegetables of the soup.

I give yogurts in pouches. She feeds herself with a bit of help from me.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 3:23 am
gr82no wrote:
Oh I see we look at it differently. If I’m having yogurt my baby wants some so I share. I give my baby whatever I’m eating because my baby is reaching for it. I don’t make food specifically for baby but I do cut into bite size pieces obviously

Oh, for that I guess I'm not as militant as BrisketBoss. If baby wants to TASTE some of my soup, I'll spoon feed it. If I was giving baby soup to EAT, I'd give them the vegetables from it or be okay with most of the broth landing on the floor.

I don't generally spoon-feed my babies, and I don't think it's a good thing overall in general, but I don't think it's something to be dogmatic about either. If it's easier in a given moment to spoon-feed, I'll go with that.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 6:05 am
SuperWify wrote:
Give her the vegetables of the soup.

I give yogurts in pouches. She feeds herself with a bit of help from me.

I try that but she chews on it and doesn't suck
Mine loves if I give her a whole piece of bread with peanut butter/tuna/cheese, I watch to make sure she doesn't choke. otherwise must foods she tastes and spits out/throws on the floor,it's a huge mess each time.
off topic, can anyone recommend a good bib with sleeves or ideas of how to prevent me from needing to change all her clothes or even give her a bath and do sponga?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 6:12 am
Try feeding her in only a diaper. Then it’s a quick rinse off.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 6:45 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
I'm not on baby #1 anymore. I have a one-year-old to teens, and despite not getting meals until well over age 1, they are all wonderful eaters. In fact you would probably be jealous at how much they enjoy vegetables and real food, and eat adult size portions from a fairly young age.

I cater to my baby's needs by giving them solids when they want them. The baby is sitting on my lap when I eat, and if he/she wants a bite, I happily offer them one. They are welcome to have finger food whenever they want it. I don't cook meals for baby (aside for one child where I felt they really needed it).

None of my babies had solids until they were sitting up and could feed it to themselves. And even then, as I said, it wasn't meals.

Honestly I think we do a big disservice to parents by trying to standardize everything and raise the standards to impossible levels.

If you are worried about your child's iron, it's a quick and simple test to find out. If they have low iron, you can give them iron drops or add iron-rich foods. There is no need to force your baby to eat solids before they are ready (which means transferring 90% of the effort over to you). When they are ready, they will eat by themselves.

You don't have to bathe your baby every day (in fact dermatologists say this may be harmful).
You don't have to feed your baby solids, especially your nursing baby, before the baby wants them (assuming this is a healthy baby who is meeting milestones).
You don't have to provide a set amount of minutes of tummy time, don't have to play classical music, hang certain mobiles which are perfect for baby's eyes, take baby to pilates, have playdates for babies, or put them to sleep in pajamas.
You need to love your baby. You need to make sure your baby is satisfied when eating, is warm and clean, and has health concerns addressed. You need to keep your baby safe. You need to make sure to answer your baby's cries, because that's all the communication they know. Sometimes you answer, "Mommy can't hold you now," but you answer. You need to try to learn what they like and dislike, if they want to be cuddled or swaddled or rocked, or just like a very dark and quiet room. You show them you care for them.

Guidance like exactly what age EVERY baby must eat solids, and precisely HOW MANY meals they must have per day or else they will SUFFER TERRIBLY from iron deficiency... let it all go. You are a good mother and your baby will be fine. If your baby is hungry, they will let you know. Most babies will cry, others will be lethargic. But they will let you know. Your baby will WANT solids. Your baby will try to take solids. And you can then offer them gladly for them to explore and eventually eat.

But please don't look for more parenting rules. There are way too many already, and the overwhelmed and stressed parents who can't handle any more children are often suffering from these invented expectations more than their actual kids.

Bravo!
My experience echoes yours. Thank you for writing this so eloquently.

thepickled

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 7:06 am
oakandfig19 wrote:
I can’t, I’m lucky if he drinks 4 oz a feeding. It’s a struggle getting him to drink 20 oz a day. He’s off the growth chart. Which is why I cant comprehend 3 meals a day.

If your baby is off the growth chart he’s in a totally different category than the babies posters are advising about. He probably needs to be fed solids after nursing with additional fat added to them (butter, oil, nut butters). The person you should be speaking with is your pediatrician not Imamothers.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 7:43 am
My kids get zero meals until they are one years old. Only breast milk. They seem fine to me.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 7:47 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
This isn’t the right thing to do. Pediatricians nowadays recommend 3 meals a day much earlier then that. It’s important for iron and a host of other developmental milestones. It takes a lot of time and energy but is the correct thing to do.

Not my pediatrician. Babies do NOT need any food before one. Breast milk (or formula) gives them exactly what they need.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 8:46 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Not my pediatrician. Babies do NOT need any food before one. Breast milk (or formula) gives them exactly what they need.

This is old school and outdated information. Please speak to your pediatrician ladies.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 8:47 am
thepickled wrote:
If your baby is off the growth chart he’s in a totally different category than the babies posters are advising about. He probably needs to be fed solids after nursing with additional fat added to them (butter, oil, nut butters). The person you should be speaking with is your pediatrician not Imamothers.

This is a very on target post!

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 8:47 am
Iymnok wrote:
Try feeding her in only a diaper. Then it’s a quick rinse off.

Your baby will be cold and uncomfortable. Babies who are comfortable eat more and have a more enjoyable feeding time.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 8:49 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
I try that but she chews on it and doesn't suck
Mine loves if I give her a whole piece of bread with peanut butter/tuna/cheese, I watch to make sure she doesn't choke. otherwise must foods she tastes and spits out/throws on the floor,it's a huge mess each time.
off topic, can anyone recommend a good bib with sleeves or ideas of how to prevent me from needing to change all her clothes or even give her a bath and do sponga?

Yes it’s a mess each time. But that’s what it is. You need to teach how to experiment with different foods. Don’t give up. Keep trying different textures and tastes.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 8:50 am
This is old school and outdated information. Please speak to your pediatrician ladies.

I’m fine thanks. My babies are fine. Babies need breast milk or formula. If your baby is growing and healthy do what works for you .

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 8:52 am
Your baby will be cold and uncomfortable. Babies who are comfortable eat more and have a more enjoyable feeding time.

This. Just get a good bib. Sometimes if it’s warm enough I do just a undershirt.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:27 am
gr82no wrote:
How does your baby eat soup or yogurt without you feeding it? Pasta I let by themselves but egg salad I don’t see how my baby could do it.

If I give yogurt, I literally just put the yogurt on the tray. For obvious reasons, this is best done with a naked baby.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:29 am

Huh? Is your house cold or something? Little kids generally don't care to wear clothes inside.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:31 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Oh, for that I guess I'm not as militant as BrisketBoss. If baby wants to TASTE some of my soup, I'll spoon feed it. If I was giving baby soup to EAT, I'd give them the vegetables from it or be okay with most of the broth landing on the floor.

I don't generally spoon-feed my babies, and I don't think it's a good thing overall in general, but I don't think it's something to be dogmatic about either. If it's easier in a given moment to spoon-feed, I'll go with that.

Oh, I do sometimes feed tastes. I'm on my second child after all.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:35 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I’m fine thanks. My babies are fine. Babies need breast milk or formula. If your baby is growing and healthy do what works for you .

The truth lies in the middle. It's not totally true that food before one is just for fun. At some point they should have a bit extra nutrition from food as well as the skills and experience of working with the food (ok, I guess that's the 'for fun' part.)

But weaning can be very slow. If your kid is on less than 50% solids by 12 months, it's fine.

honey36

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:55 am
I'm not sure about needing solids before one year is necessary for nutrition, but I found with my babies if I start solids too late- like 9 months, they are much harder to adapt to it then if I start earlier- like 6 months. They refuse more foods, take longer to eat etc.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:57 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
Yes I nurse( I thought that was obvious LOL)

I assumed that till I read that you were worried about her starving if you didn't force feed her 🙂. If she's nursing she won't starve.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics