Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How often do you bathe your kids
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a close enough relationship with ppl whose house they often go to, they would tell me...

I don't think I'd tell even a close friend or sibling unless they asked me straight out. Have you asked these people?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
But children under 6 don't wipe themselves well, period. Boys pee on their legs. For me to wipe down hands, feet, face, etc. is just harder than to throw them into a bath. I also find bathing early morning to work best for us, but we are morning people.

Babies are in pampers and I feel my baby needs to be bathed more than once a week because if not she will get rashes. My 2 year old is trained but she has mini accidents. I don't bathe every time but 2-3 times a week is really necessary.

I guess it depends on the kid. My kids don't have mini accidents. Once they are trained, they are fully trained. Some kids do wipe well. My boys do not pee on their legs. They just don't. I see them use the bathroom. (they are young)

In the summer I do bathe them more often, ftr.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
I guess it depends on the kid. My kids don't have mini accidents. Once they are trained, they are fully trained. Some kids do wipe well. My boys do not pee on their legs. They just don't. I see them use the bathroom. (they are young)

So your 5 year old can wipe the way you would? Your 4 year old can pee on the toilet seat and floor but not on his leg? Your 3 year old after wiping never has a drop of pee in his underwear? Their isn't dirt under their finger nails? Their feet never smell from socks?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:14 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
I don't think I'd tell even a close friend or sibling unless they asked me straight out. Have you asked these people?

did just now! cuz was starting to doubt myself... they just last and said my kids always smell and look pleasent... sucha releif Wink

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:17 pm
If you really want to know, ask their teacher. The teacher gets up close and personal especially for preschool or primary age, more so than a playdate parent. And she sees if they are having any social issues due to this.

amother
Ghostwhite

So your 5 year old can wipe the way you would? Your 4 year old can pee on the toilet seat and floor but not on his leg? Your 3 year old after wiping never has a drop of pee in his underwear? Their isn't dirt under their finger nails? Their feet never smell from socks?

I help my 5 year old wipe. He does not go #2 in school, only at home.
My boys do not urinate on the toilet seat and floor, or on their legs.
Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.
We even trained them to put the toilet seat down after, shocker!
In the winter, their feet don't smell.
In the summer, we bathe more often.
If they get dirty or smell, I bathe them.
Bh all doing fine socially! No issues with that.

amother
Clover

Same experience.
When my kids were little, I bathed them once each week. But I was obsessive with teaching them to stay clean and wipe well in the bathroom. Same with eating neatly at dinner. B"H they didn't have accidents once trained and no one got food in their hair. If someone got muddy or sth one day, of course I'd bathe them, but everyone typically did well with one bath weekly. As they got older, they started showering on their own and take daily showers now.
So once weekly baths but seems our daily cleanliness standards were higher than some other ppl.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:19 pm

no I always wipe after they do.
My kids never pee on the floor or themselves (I would know).
We trim their nails and often wash hands
We wipe their feet before bed

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:22 pm
My first 3 were girls each 15 months apart. After newborn stage I bathed them together until the oldest was old enough to shower herself. It was always a fun time for all of us. Sunday, Tues, Thurs. I wouldn't do Fridays too much stress. If you make it fun with songs, toys.. then it's much easier.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:22 pm
Once a week isn’t enough and kids usually look unclean and not put together.
But sometimes in life things are stressful and I would
Prioritize a hot supper and not letting a baby cry over it.
In the summer this is more important then in the winter although personally I bathe my kids every night except for motzai Shabbos in the winter as well.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:24 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
In the summer this is more important then in the winter although personally I bathe my kids every night except for motzai Shabbos in the winter as well.

How would looking not put together have to do with a bath?
I think you are overgeneralizing here.

Come meet my kids, clean and put together.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:28 pm
amother [ Lemonlime ] wrote:
My first 3 were girls each 15 months apart. After newborn stage I bathed them together until the oldest was old enough to shower herself. It was always a fun time for all of us. Sunday, Tues, Thurs. I wouldn't do Fridays too much stress. If you make it fun with songs, toys.. then it's much easier.
My little ones are on the same schedule, and they bathe together. Way less work than giving each child an individual bath. I really think kids need more than once a week.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:30 pm
One of the few memories I have from when I was a kid is from when I was 7 years old, my mother had a baby and my aunt was taking care of us. She went to bathe us and I said no, it's the middle of the week, we only take baths on Thursdays. The look of shock that she gave me is burned into my brain. I would never do that to my kids.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:32 pm
How would looking not put together have to do with a bath?
I think you are overgeneralizing here.

Come meet my kids, clean and put together.

It could be your kids are but I know some people who bathe once a week who think their kids look put together but they don’t. The girls hair is in their eyes and it looks knotty and dirty and the boys look grimy as well. It could be your kids look fresh and clean but honestly once a week isn’t enough. Dirty nails is a big giveaway of a dirty kid and personally it’s important that kids nails are trimmed and look clean in terms of presentation.
But maybe your kids are the exception so don’t stress about it. Bathing is important but not the most important thing in the world.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
Same experience.
When my kids were little, I bathed them once each week. But I was obsessive with teaching them to stay clean and wipe well in the bathroom. Same with eating neatly at dinner. B"H they didn't have accidents once trained and no one got food in their hair. If someone got muddy or sth one day, of course I'd bathe them, but everyone typically did well with one bath weekly. As they got older, they started showering on their own and take daily showers now.
So once weekly baths but seems our daily cleanliness standards were higher than some other ppl.

same here. I guess that explains diverse opinions

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:35 pm

where does unclean and not put together come in?
My kids are always wearing fresh clothes, tucked in clean face and hands.
this is such a blanket statement, it's almost like its only possible that a mom who bathes her kids once a wk, is messy and dirty all over... Thats so not the case.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:37 pm
and what does trimming nails have to do with bathing? If you trim them and always wash with soap there clean, has nothing to do with bath

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:38 pm
It could be your kids are but I know some people who bathe once a week who think their kids look put together but they don’t. The girls hair is in their eyes and it looks knotty and dirty and the boys look grimy as well. It could be your kids look fresh and clean but honestly once a week isn’t enough. Dirty nails is a big giveaway of a dirty kid and personally it’s important that kids nails are trimmed and look clean in terms of presentation.
But maybe your kids are the exception so don’t stress about it. Bathing is important but not the most important thing in the world.

What does trimmed nails have to do with baths? I see you are lumping everything together.
My kids nails are trimmed. Hair is neat. Faces are not grimy.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:52 pm
This is difficult for me, because even as an adult, I shower at the very least every other night. Even more so with kids who are less neurotic haha.
For babies- my daughter starts to get diaper/heat rash in her folds if we miss two nights. And I practice EC and am very on top of changing any diapers as soon as possible.
It's much more hygienic to at least do a quick rinse every other night.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm in an overwhelming stage now (4 kids under 6yrs)... Am I nuts for only bathing them once a week? (They dont look or smell dirty, I wash their face and hand well afew times a day...)

No. There is an inyan of bathing l'kuved shabbos. So at times when I was super overwhelmed I'd bath my kids on Thursday night or Friday. You are doing OK.

It's actuality better for their skin to be bathed less often. Every night is bad for their skin. Even every other night is a lot.
In the winter I do 2x a week. Spring and fall too ot Summer it's as needed,, usually every night unless it's been a cooler day.

Older kids go as needed, for teens that would probably mean showe AT LEAST once a day lol. Unless they are half alien and don't have raging horemonal body odor.

I have 3 kids. My oldest will be 9. And I still had times I'd skip baths. Even in the summer.
Sometimes I'd sit them on the vanity counter in just their undwear, stick their arms and legs into the sink, wash their faces, then send them into their rooms with a wipe and clean panty, them let them wipe themselves down their privates with a wipe and get into pjs. It took 2 minutes cuz it was all kids at once, and their do the rest themselves.

You got 4 under 6.
You are supermama!
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers