Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
What do you think of this picture?
Previous  1  2

YALT

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 9:47 am
greenfire wrote:
ah and now I see ... I guess some people have a good eye ...

kool picture ...and I love the picture of your baby - what a head of hair ...

yeah, thanks!
but which photos do you think I should submit?

ssue

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 10:02 am
I like #'s 24 & 25 best...Smile

miri123

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 10:12 am
Yalt are you from Brookline?
My dh is and we shopped at The Butcherie many times...
Sorry it is off topic.
I liked the Pin BAll pic

GAMZu

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 10:41 am
Both your kids have gorgeous hair k"ah Smile
I will go through more thoroughly when I have time and tell you what I think. Smile

Helani

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:07 pm
nice to see familiar places Smile

YALT

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:25 pm
ssue wrote:
I like #'s 24 & 25 best...Smile

thanks for voting. But from which page? there are 3 pages of photos to choose from.

YALT

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:29 pm
miri123 wrote:
Yalt are you from Brookline?
My dh is and we shopped at The Butcherie many times...
Sorry it is off topic.
I liked the Pin BAll pic

not from there. But my sister lives in the suburbs. So we go to her often.
what do you mean by the pinball?
Oh, do you mean the #25 in Nikon Contest II?
Actually, those colorFUL photos are holograms in the museum.

YALT

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:32 pm
GAMZu wrote:
I will go through more thoroughly when I have time and tell you what I think. Smile

thanks. my next poll will be if I should cut DD's hair. One sister tells me to. My other says not to. I'm not yet experienced with girls. Boys, there's no question!

I knew you'd help me out! Waiting for your opinions.

red sea

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:23 pm
from nikon I - # 15, 25 & 28

from nikon II - # 5, 12, 15, 22, & 27

from nikon III- # 2 & 10

those are the 10 shots I like best

ruthanne

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 8:49 pm
YALT wrote:
GAMZu wrote:

thanks. my next poll will be if I should cut DD's hair. One sister tells me to. My other says not to. I'm not yet experienced with girls. Boys, there's no question!

I knew you'd help me out! Waiting for your opinions.

Her hair is gorgeous, don't cut it yet!

As far as the pictures, I think the first one of the staircase is the best its extremely original and in the sepia the effect is even better.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 11:31 pm
Nikon II
A lot of the animal pics are cut off. Like the leopard's tail in the 1st one, the anteater's feet (although I love that pic!)

Although the kids' pictures are all adorable, they are taken in their natural backgrounds and that can distract from the subject.
Except #12, which is so perfect Smile I would crop a bit from the bottom of that one, though, because a perfect photo is considered one in which the subject's eyes lie on the 1/3 line. (Divide the pic into thirds, and the subject's eyes should be on the top line.)

I love the blurry swing pics (I always try to take such ones myself!) But your son is a bit blurry there, too.
If you want to use the waterfall pics, I think you should make them straight (not sideways.)

The shul pics are nice, as is #15, the house in the dark. If you can get rid of the 9 red dots above it, it would be perfect!

And of course the one you posted here, #27!

So that's 12, 15, 27 Smile

GAMZu

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 11:41 pm
Nikon I:

Again, many animals in the pics have one body part or other cut off. Unless you are taking a chest/head photo. Like #9 would be so perfect if the horns were there! I love the perspective of the neck coming closer Smile
#7 is a good example of a pic where the animal is whole. My favorite giraffe pic is #11.

Then #14- how perfect and adorable is that?!?! Flip it around and for sure use it. Smile What is that, BTW? #15 has a kid in the background, so although it's the same idea, go with 14.

The kangaroos and flamingos are all cut off too. #17 is nice Smile

#20 is the best one of the camels. #28 is nice, too, but not as original as some of the others (I don't know if they mark for originality...)

My choices there would be definitely #14 and #20.

Last edited by GAMZu on Wed, Apr 30 2008, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

GAMZu

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 11:48 pm
Nikon III:

I love the perspective and the twilight of #2.
#4 has that lady in pink LOL
#5 is better than #6, but again, if originality counts, skip them both.
#10 is cute. Smile Avoid the golf pictures in which there are people in the background.

I feel bad for being so critical. I love all the photos!! I'm just pointing out the details I'd look out for if I was judging.
The main points- don't let it be too cluttered with people or irrelevant objects, and make sure the subject is either FULLY in the pic or from the chest up.

Hatzlocha!! I hope you win Smile

YALT

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 11:14 am
actually GAMZu, we love the criticism. It helps him become a better photographer.
I'm so used to him noticing the cut off parts, that I didn't really expect to see it in his photos so much. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Funny that he didn't mention it!
Most of the ppl photos weren't really for the contest, I just posted all my phtos here that I wanted to "advertise" to family and friends as well.

The photo of DS and the cup - it was a wall fountain. Basically, it was a wall with water flowing donw on both sides. and all the kids were going to it and splashing themselves, as it was a hot day. (In the zoo)

One of the rules of this contest, is that you cannot play with the picture. You need to submit it "as is."

DH is doing alot of cropping, and other types of editing on the computer for ourselves. But he won't be allowed to submit them. THat's why I chose to put up the photos the way they are.

Originality may play some kind of part, but not neccessarily.
The winning photos will appear in Nikon's ads/magazine.
Last year, one of the top photos wa sactually a phtos of some chaseedishe kids in their backyard.

THe flamingo in #18 - even though that 2nd flamingo is more like background - it's still considered as if the photo is cut off?

the anteater - is now using DS' hat to protect itself from the sun. While my back was turned, he threw it over the fence, and was so proud of his capabilities! Couldn't find anyone around to get it back for us. So we left it.

what did you think of the elephants? (#24) is it too weird? I thought it may be another one of those photos that play with the eyes a bit, bec. the wall in the back is the same color. My BIL really likes that one. DH wanted to lighten the wall in the back.

THanks a bunch!

YALT

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 11:26 am
hey photographers! Where are you????
Chayitty, Love my babe, gigi, purple rox, YESHAsettler, rebeca, mah pitom, AMOTHER,

Can I get your opinions, please????

http://www.photoblog.com/yftopp/

check out all three Nikon pages, and give me your opinions of the winning photos!

THanks!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art