Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Camilla will be Queen
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ally

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 8:49 am
Raisin wrote:
I don't think Charles behaved any worse than almost any of his predecessors. Its a big shame he was never allowed to marry Camilla to begin with. The sad thing is 30 years later marrying her would have been no big deal. William did not marry a virgin. (presumably...either that or she and William have a worrying amount of self control) Harry married a divorcee. The problem is when Charles was in his 20s the relations-ual norms of the day did not match up with the relations-ual expectations of the Royal Family. I think now if a royal prince was dating a girl 12 years younger than him that might also raise some eyebrows.

I think if Camilla was prettier she would have a lot more support. People dislike her because she is not photogenic. But she seems a perfectly nice person. Charles seems to be a very thoughtful man.

I am very happy with the Queens statement.

I agree. If Camilla had been the pretty one, the narrative would have been about true love prevailing over all odds. ( ironically that she's not the pretty one kind of supports that...)

ally

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 8:51 am
DrMom wrote:
This is the married guy who told his married mistress he fantasized about being her tampon. Ick, ick, ick. I just cannot get that image of my head.

It is gross but honestly it was private correspondence. Couples say and do weird stuff in private.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 8:58 am
ally wrote:
It is gross but honestly it was private correspondence. Couples say and do weird stuff in private.

This. I bet if everyone’s private words were publicized there would be much worse stuff out there.

I know adultery is wrong but I can’t help feeling bad for the situation Charles and Camilla found themselves in. Just goes to show you that royalty has it tougher than anyone else. Had they been a regular couple they probably would be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary now.

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 9:00 am
I’m British, live abroad now but still very patriotic! don’t care much either way bout Charles and Camilla, I am just waiting for the day, down the road where William and Kate will take over the reigns!! If the world hasn’t gone completely insane by then, it will be glory days for British royalty!! 😀 Guessing most British people feel the same as me!

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 9:05 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
I’m British, live abroad now but still very patriotic! don’t care much either way bout Charles and Camilla, I am just waiting for the day, down the road where William and Kate will take over the reigns!! If the world hasn’t gone completely insane by then, it will be glory days for British royalty!! 😀 Guessing most British people feel the same as me!

I'm british too and honestly Kate and William have not done anything major to impress me. I think Charles will be an excellent king and is a much more interesting person.

Congresswoman

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 9:15 am
ally wrote:
I agree. If Camilla had been the pretty one, the narrative would have been about true love prevailing over all odds. ( ironically that she's not the pretty one kind of supports that...)

Interesting point.
I agree.

4g01o

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 9:26 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:

Yes I feel the same way.
We love William and Kate Cheers

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 10:00 am
ally wrote:

That's just the thing: Yes, it was a private conversation between lovers. But it was so gross. Couldn't he think of anything more romantic to say? That's just repulsive. Who says that??

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 10:16 am
Raisin wrote:
I don't think Charles behaved any worse than almost any of his predecessors. Its a big shame he was never allowed to marry Camilla to begin with. The sad thing is 30 years later marrying her would have been no big deal. William did not marry a virgin. (presumably...either that or she and William have a worrying amount of self control) Harry married a divorcee. The problem is when Charles was in his 20s the relations-ual norms of the day did not match up with the relations-ual expectations of the Royal Family. I think now if a royal prince was dating a girl 12 years younger than him that might also raise some eyebrows.

I think if Camilla was prettier she would have a lot more support. People dislike her because she is not photogenic. But she seems a perfectly nice person. Charles seems to be a very thoughtful man.

I am very happy with the Queens statement.

Camilla was always going to be Queen consort from the day she married Charles. If the queen didn’t decree it, Charles would have when he would become king. This is the Queen attempting to lend her approval and help the public deal with it.

I disagree with your timeline. It’s not like Charles wanted to marry her and she wasn’t pure enough. He also dated a ton of women that also weren’t “pure” in that respect. The virgin thing was not a requirement, it was a recommendation by Lord Mountbatten, who he revered.

And as for Camilla, It’s that she wasn’t precisely sure she wanted to marry Charles, and Charles was too interested in remaining the playboy to ask her. She got married to someone who asked, and it was only then that Charles realized he wanted what someone else had.

Once she was married he seemed to come to his senses. That’s when he sought out someone seriously, which happened to be Diana.

I don’t like Charles because he is incredibly spoiled and out of touch with reality. The whole lot of them are. I’m fascinated by royalty because of how much potential they have, and none of them except for the queen seem particularly selfless. Possibly Anne, but only because she knows she’s never going to rule.

I think William and Kate and pretty and bland and boring, and that’s what everyone likes, but they don’t have a great work ethic and they spend like crazy. If I were sending them my money in taxes, I’d want more than a perfunctory appearance twice a month.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 10:18 am
DrMom wrote:
That's just the thing: Yes, it was a private conversation between lovers. But it was so gross. Couldn't he think of anything more romantic to say? That's just repulsive. Who says that??

I can see it being viewed as a humorous thing between lovers.
Again, I don't think it's fair to judge a private conversation. I bet some of the imamothers here have said things they would be mortified to discover published on the first page.

It's really not fair to even mention it.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 10:30 am
I don't really see it as anything new except explicitly showing the queen is supportive of them and the institution of the monarchy. I believe Camilla would have always been Queen Consort, while out of deference to Diana not referred to by that title...which may still be what happens. This statement from the Queen seems to be just part of managing the transition whenever it will happen.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 11:05 am
Raisin wrote:
I'm british too and honestly Kate and William have not done anything major to impress me. I think Charles will be an excellent king and is a much more interesting person.

Oh no Charles is not an interesting person. He's been weird and boring since the day he was born.
The Queen was quite anxious in the early days and was worried about the monarchy as she didn't see Charles as a suitable candidate to be king.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 11:20 am
Although The Queen can't get involved in politics, she was always strong and has an influence on the country. Charles doesn't have that character. He's literally going to be a figure head.

William does seem to have more of his grandmother's traits.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 11:28 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
Although The Queen can't get involved in politics, she was always strong and has an influence on the country. Charles doesn't have that character. He's literally going to be a figure head.

William does seem to have more of his grandmother's traits.

The Queen is apolitical and does not have a vote, but she does have a weekly meeting with the Prime Minister where they discuss government policies. Every Prime Minister during her reign has been impressed by her astuteness and depth of understanding of national and international politics. Seventy years of involvement and experience by someone who is secure in her position without having to worry about the next election, but is also willing to learn from mistakes is hard to beat. She has no formal political role, but has a strong influence behind the scenes.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 11:46 am
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
Oh no Charles is not an interesting person. He's been weird and boring since the day he was born.

I agree that Charles has zero charisma, but I find him to be infinitely more interesting than most of the Royals.

He leveraged the land he inherited as Prince of Wales to launch a highly successful brand of organic products that provide a significant source of ongoing income for his family. He raises about $60 million annually for charity through The Prince's Trust. He appears to be informed and reflective about a great many topics, though he has quirky opinions from time to time.

In short, he's a bit of a nerd. But that's not the worst thing one can be, even for a future king.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 11:53 am
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
This. I bet if everyone’s private words were publicized there would be much worse stuff out there.

I know adultery is wrong but I can’t help feeling bad for the situation Charles and Camilla found themselves in. Just goes to show you that royalty has it tougher than anyone else. Had they been a regular couple they probably would be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary now.

Why?? They were both married to other people and were carrying on an affair.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 11:57 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Why?? They were both married to other people and were carrying on an affair.

They might not have married other people had they not been royals. That's my point.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:03 pm
Fox wrote:

In short, he's a bit of a nerd. But that's not the worst thing one can be, even for a future king.

It wouldn't have worked in the times of Henry VIII. But nowadays we don't expect the monarch to dispose of six wives, reform the church and lead murder and mayhem against anyone who opposes him. Compared to some of the historical options, I'll go for an amiable, if uncharismatic nerd.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:09 pm
ally wrote:

But they weren’t a couple at the time, right? He was still married to Diana, though their marriage was on the rocks from the start.
I was under the impression that if someone got divorced, they couldn’t be king/queen, but maybe I’m wrong?

number

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:10 pm
The queen could very well outlive Camilla
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics